Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Havent seen any reports on Quinton Coples

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I would think the goal line D would be Wilkenson, Pouha, Ellis and Devito. Rex and most coaches normally went with the bigger boys down there.
    You must be forgetting that we're currently in training camp. Rex Ryan plans on using Quinton Coples all over the defensive line this up coming season, and during training camp, a player such as DeVito isn't going to have more practice reps when compared to a first rounder such as Quinton Coples. Expect to see lots of Quinton Coples during today's goal-line practice reps.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually donít want to have coples in our base 3-4 package this year. Playing 3-4 is extremely difficult and so much of it is experience and technique. Id much rather stick with a front of devito, pouha, and Wilkerson in that situation.

The league is so situational now and we happen to have so much depth along the line that we can afford to keep these guys fresh, and on third downs unleash a group of very good pass rushers. Jennys article mentioned a 4 man front of pace, coples, wilk, and maybin, but there are 2 other excellent combinations that we can run out there.

Sapp and pace at the ends and coples and wilk at the tackles gets the maximum amount of speed and athleticism out there, and that group has been mentioned already at camp. The combination Id like to see is coples and maybin at the ends, and ellis and wilk at the tackles. Ellis still needs time to develop as a true NT, as that is a position where technique is extremely important, but as an inside rusher, he has the athleticism and most importantly height to push the pocket and force a QB back and right into our speed guys. This would also let coples simply tee off and use his speed off the snap to rush from the end position.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my observations from 2011, NFL defenses have to be ready for a good mixture of pass and run on 1st down!
    Many who post on JI don't like the idea of having Maybin/Sapp in on 1st and 2nd down but, I could argue Pace and Thomas simply cannot rush the QB on any down. So i guess what I'm trying to say is, If we're not going to replace Pace or Thomas with Maybin/Sapp in base D, then Coples has gotta be out there in Base D.
    I think you need at least one guy out there who can get after the QB on first down. After 2009 teams grew more aware of Rex's scheme and teams had success throwing vs Jets Base D 2010 and 2011. We need that playmaker in the trenches, so we don't have to send 5 guys after the QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Coples has to be in the base D, I just took exception to NY2 statement that Coples should have a big roll in today's goal line practice.

Coples has his hands full learning to be an end in the 3-4, 4-3 and a DT in the 4-3 in order to bring maybin and Sapp on the field in "obvious" passing situations. NY2 thinks that Rex is going to feature him in the goal line package too the first week of camp.