Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kareem McKenzie for RT

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Kareem McKenzie for RT

If they are not going to sign Vernon Carey (who already knows the offensive system) then Kareem McKenzie seems like the next best choice.

I have NFL Game Rewind and went back and watched McKenzie in week 17 (vs. DeMarcus Ware) and the playoffs games. McKenzie was a decent pass blocker, held his own most of the time. And he's still a pretty good run blocker, has enough size to "Road grade". He's much, much better than Hunter.

Tannenbaum and Rex are clinically insane if they go with Wayne Hunter or some 2nd stringer who gets cut somewhere else instead of McKenzie, who is a seasoned veteran will some football still left in him.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 08-01-2012 at 04:12 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean I guess technically he'd be an upgrade over Wayne but that's really not saying all that much. He also has no hope of getting any better at his age.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    I mean I guess technically he'd be an upgrade over Wayne but that's really not saying all that much. He also has no hope of getting any better at his age.

I don't care what the mathematical rankings are. Watch the film down the stretch of the season, McKenzie wasn't that bad.

He's an average pass blocker (Hunter is WAY below average)
    He's a slightly above average run blocker (Hunter is average)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the difference between KMac and Hunter is that KMac's quarterback operated very well under pressure. Hunter's did not.

Look at the stats, Eli was the most pressured QB in the league by far. He had over 100 more pressures than Sanchez. That 99 yard Cruz TD that buried the Jets season, Eli was almost getting safe tied at the time.

all these threads are focused on getting the Jets OL back to the Faneca/Woody all time great level that it was in 2009. I don't think that's necessary. Even without those guys the Jets OL is still top 10 if not top 5. Nick Mangold is the best interior lineman on the planet. 3 out of the 5 starters represented the AFC in the Pro Bowl.

BL There's nothing wrong with the Jets offense that Mark Sanchez can't fix. All these threads about Hunter and all the people who could replace him, it's letting Mark off the hook.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I don't care what the mathematical rankings are. Watch the film down the stretch of the season, McKenzie wasn't that bad.

He's an average pass blocker (Hunter is WAY below average)
    He's a slightly above average run blocker (Hunter is average)
    Those aren't necessarily mathematical rankings...

Those are people who sit and judge each play of every game and develop a verdict in number-form based on that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the difference between KMac and Hunter is that KMac's quarterback operated very well under pressure. Hunter's did not.

Look at the stats, Eli was the most pressured QB in the league by far. He had over 100 more pressures than Sanchez. That 99 yard Cruz TD that buried the Jets season, Eli was almost getting safe tied at the time.

all these threads are focused on getting the Jets OL back to the Faneca/Woody all time great level that it was in 2009. I don't think that's necessary. Even without those guys the Jets OL is still top 10 if not top 5. Nick Mangold is the best interior lineman on the planet. 3 out of the 5 starters represented the AFC in the Pro Bowl.

BL There's nothing wrong with the Jets offense that Mark Sanchez can't fix. All these threads about Hunter and all the people who could replace him, it's letting Mark off the hook.
    the o-line is only as strong as its weakest link. You could have 4 all pro guys, but it means nothing if Wayne Hunter is a matador at RT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's about skillsets...

Eli is unbelievably great for whatever reason in dealing with pressure. Peyton was the same way, except players don't even get hits on Peyton.

What makes Eli special is his ability to back pedal and just spot a guy and throw him the ball even if off balance. He sees the field...

Sanchez has some positives but that's not one of them. At least not yet. Until he develops that trait (which less than 1% of QB's actually have then you have to get a line to protect him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still in favor of using one of those upside down trash cans if we don't sign anyone for rt, would be a slight upgrade

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the o-line is only as strong as its weakest link. You could have 4 all pro guys, but it means nothing if Wayne Hunter is a matador at RT.
    Hunter was pretty good in 2010 and awful in 2011. Maybe he will split the difference and be decent in 2012? Hunter won't be amazing but he can be decent. Either way a guy like KMac really isn't an upgrade.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hunter was pretty good in 2010 and awful in 2011. Maybe he will split the difference and be decent in 2012? Hunter won't be amazing but he can be decent. Either way a guy like KMac really isn't an upgrade.
    +1

People are so desperate (understandably) to get rid of Hunter that any JAG looks good at this point. A healthy, rejuvenated Otah would have been a great add, but MacKenzie isn't the answer here.

Those who believe he's an upgrade need to rewatch the NFC Championship game from last year, and ask themselves if they think Sanchez could have survived that kind of punishment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKenzie is just average, but even average is better than Wayne Hunter and helps the team win. That's all I'm saying.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll admit, I'm having difficulty typing this, but I actually think that Wayne Hunter will be better this season than would Kareem McKenzie.

(that was very painful to type)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a valid point but Mark Sanchez is going no where, at least for twelve months, it makes sense to me that upgrading is his protection might be a cheaper solution than upgrading the QB position. that said I realize that this time of year right tackles, that can perform significantly better than Hunter, are not readily available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2011 Pass Blocking Efficiency, Offensive Tackles, Bottom 20
    # Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
    56 Jeremy Bridges ARZ 319 26 93.3
    57 Sean Locklear WAS 205 17 93.3
    58 Jeromey Clary SD 621 56 93.0
    59 J'Marcus Webb
    CHI 549 48 92.9
    60 Levi Brown ARZ 620 56 92.8
    61 Wayne Hunter NYJ 604 54 92.8
    62 Barry Richardson KC 552 50 92.8
    63 Kareem McKenzie NYG 626 59 92.7
    64 Jammal Brown WAS 463 43 92.5
    65 Rodger Saffold SL 359 32 92.5
    66 Jeremy Trueblood TB 596 59 92.4
    67 Brandon Keith ARZ 321 31 92.4
    68 Marc Colombo MIA 543 53 92.3
    69 Marshall Newhouse GB 544 54 92.2
    70 Jonathan Scott PIT 203 20 91.9
    71 Guy Whimper JAX 472 48 91.6
    72 James Carpenter SEA 311 33 91.6
    73 Lance Louis CHI 347 38 91.2
    74 Sam Baker ATL 242 28 90.9
    75 David Diehl NYG 246

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    I'm still in favor of using one of those upside down trash cans if we don't sign anyone for rt, would be a slight upgrade

... lol + 1 ... K-mac's mother would be as well ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

May have something to do with the coach as well as the receivers, and play calling. There were times when Hunter actually looked really good against elite players. He has the ability. I think it's a confidence thing. Sometimes he attacks the play and sometimes he looks like he doesn't know what to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

McKenzie is just average, but even average is better than Wayne Hunter and helps the team win. That's all I'm saying.
    PLEASE fax your credentials to WOODY JOHNSON forthwith. This team obviously needs a talented GM like you on staff! Carey and Mc Kenzie are out there and Mr.T refuses to listen to your advice. The man is obviously just a bean counter and lacks your education, insight and experience.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign this beast!(10 years ago)

no.

no.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

People are so desperate (understandably) to get rid of Hunter that any JAG looks good at this point. A healthy, rejuvenated Otah would have been a great add, but MacKenzie isn't the answer here.

Those who believe he's an upgrade need to rewatch the NFC Championship game from last year, and ask themselves if they think Sanchez could have survived that kind of punishment.
    well said and I agree. They also forget that our entire OL was dysfunctional last year. BRICK gave up as many sacks as Hunter did plus he has never been elite in the run game. Moore took awhile to get into shape after his operation. Slauson played in a sling most of the year and NICK was out for two games! Yet some alleged Jets fans dump only on Hunter. Hunter had his problems for sure. but lets give the guy some time to get his act together in preseason. He will either sink or swin and shortly talented but older OLmen will be cut from other teams if Hunter can not produce in preseason. The regular NFL season does not start in August!

I also agree with every word that BITONTI wrote.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    PLEASE fax your credentials to WOODY JOHNSON forthwith. This team obviously needs a talented GM like you on staff! Carey and Mc Kenzie are out there and Mr.T refuses to listen to your advice. The man is obviously just a bean counter and lacks your education, insight and experience.
    How many sacks did McKenzie allow last year? How many did Hunter allow? How about knockdowns?
    Hunter is worse, and he's likely to get Sanchez injured if we have to endure another season of him.