Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its Not Just Bean Counter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    What have you left to discuss for anyone? You made a blatant matter of fact statement that you hate "the beancounter", you hate "the mouth", and it sure seems like you hate the Jets and just wanted to remind everyone about it. So good for you. Not sure what the point is, you've basically declared this to a bunch of strangers on a forum who could care less about your declarations. Personally I'll watch the games first before hating the whole organization.
    I'm a Jet fan since before you were born. Unlike you, I haven't swallowed the Kool-Aid and look at our chances objectively. No, I don't need to watch a team that sucked offensively last year and didn't improve themselves this year, to know that things aren't going to change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    ...in most pro football organizations, the head coach tells the GM what he needs...
    That's not how it works.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Jet fan since before you were born. Unlike you, I haven't swallowed the Kool-Aid and look at our chances objectively. No, I don't need to watch a team that sucked offensively last year and didn't improve themselves this year, to know that things aren't going to change.
    Oh really? You got your crystal ball there or do you just call Ms Cleo on a regular basis? My username should give you an idea of my age. But then again you're not debating anything, you're just spouting off absolutes with childish little nicknames that make it pretty obvious you are at least adolescent in intelligence.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't give him the amount of blame or credit that a lot of jet fans do. The guy is put into a position of short term success by the head coaches belief tha the team is SB Bound and the desire of the Owner to sell PSLs in his new stadium.

His complicity in the willingness to steal future cap dollars is the thing that i can't understand. He is supposed to be the bulkwark against the demands of the coaching staff to get this player now. Coaches want to win now, GMs are responsible for putting the team in a good position every year. Next year the three of them are going to pointing fingers at each other. as they try to rebuild with little cap space.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Not using our 1st round pick on another defensive lineman(probably our deepest unit on the team prior to Coples) would have been a start.
    You obviously prefer to fill a need over BPA.

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't act like there aren't PLENTY of successful GMs who disagree . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    By seasons end, I believe Hill will have shown flashes of being a superstar. Coples will have a solid season for a rookie. Maybin will be a 10 plus sack guy and Tim Tebow will be winning games at the qb position.

All Tanny pickups.

Now I do not like what he has done in the past, but I believe this will be his best offseason since he has been gm here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well start with the number 1 draft choice--that could have been a skilled offensive player--be it a receiver or a running back. Then we could have done something in the free agent market to up grade several positions. And of course, you have the Wayne Hunter situation that the Jets really haven't addressed.
    Unfortunately they couldn't rush the passer last season so DL was a need as well. Which way would you think a defensive minded coach would lean? And the "skilled offensive player" you wanted was picked in the 2nd round. Is that so bad?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most intelligent fans are not down on Tanny and company, please don't make assumptions for all fans...thanks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Unfortunately they couldn't rush the passer last season so DL was a need as well. Which way would you think a defensive minded coach would lean? And the "skilled offensive player" you wanted was picked in the 2nd round. Is that so bad?
    I dont see how anything is going to change this season vis a vis rushing the passer unless you think that Couples is the real deal, and I have big doubts about that. As far as improving the offense goes, you don't do that just through the draft. Look what Frisco did to help Smith--there are other ways to skin a cat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are you avoiding all of the questions asking you what YOU would have done differently?

What players would YOU have targeted? In the draft? In free agency? In trade?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Memo to the kool aid drinkers:

Lay off of us old timers and listen to us, you might just learn something not only about football, but about being a winner in life as well. Just because we are older and our opinions are different and / or more old school than yours of the younger set might be, that doesn't make either totally right or completely wrong. I will only speak for myself in this instance. Having been around a long time I am completely sick and tired of the mediocrity and losing that this decrepit franchise has spewed out at me over the past 45 years. Whoopee doo, they went to 2 straight AFCC games. The lost both of them as expected, not even bothering to show up in Pittsburgh. This team has not played a home playoff game since the Indy 41-0 game January 4, 2003. 9 years. Unreal.

Then yesterday our genius of a GM said on ESPN radio "Jeff Otah did a great job for us the week he was here" and I almost crashed my Mountaineer into a telephone pole. This is the guy who is in charge of our football team. Look at this list of garbage he has had his hands in:

Giving up many draft picks to move up to draft players who are good, but not great, and certainly not game changers
    Gholston
    Kyle Wilson
    Vlad Ducasse
    Kellen Clemens
    Anthony Schlegel
    Wayne Hunter
    The Braylon debacle
    Allowing Brad Smith to go to a division rival without even an offer
    No Wr's, well 1 "scapegoat" WR who is both untradeable and un-releaseable due to the ridculous contract he got last year
    No Rb's or any team speed on O
    Absolutely horrendous Safeties
    no pass rush (since the NY Sack exchange)
    no O Line depth and definitely no RT
    trading for a guy who fails 2 physicals in less than 1 week, then having to return him under warranty, purporting to the fans that "Otah did a great job for us the week he was here". That is amateurish at best and wreaks of someone in over their heads &/or not knowing WTF he or she is doing.
    botching Darelle's contract to the point that I think he might just be alienated enough to seek FA next contract.
    Bringing in Tebow for what reason i still cannot fathom

Tannanbaum is an accountant, and is great at crunching numbers, however, not with the numbers on the backs of football players jerseys, in my opinion, he has done a horrendous job over the past 2+ years, yet continues to get a pass from the media and most younger fans; why?

Just have to call it like I see it. I know the season has not started yet and I could be 100% wrong about the way I feel coming into this new season.
    I hope I am wrong.

Sorry..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Why are you avoiding all of the questions asking you what YOU would have done differently?

What players would YOU have targeted? In the draft? In free agency? In trade?
    Manningham, Jacobs, Wilson, Reggie Wayne, Lloyd--the list is endless. If you are ridiculous enought to think that this offense couldn't have been improved then you don't understand football------

Can we at least get someone legitimate to play for Wayne Hunter?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Memo to the kool aid drinkers:

Lay off of us old timers and listen to us, you might just learn something not only about football, but about being a winner in life as well. Just because we are older and our opinions are different and / or more old school than yours of the younger set might be, that doesn't make either totally right or completely wrong. I will only speak for myself in this instance. Having been around a long time I am completely sick and tired of the mediocrity and losing that this decrepit franchise has spewed out at me over the past 45 years. Whoopee doo, they went to 2 straight AFCC games. The lost both of them as expected, not even bothering to show up in Pittsburgh. This team has not played a home playoff game since the Indy 41-0 game January 4, 2003. 9 years. Unreal.

Then yesterday our genius of a GM said on ESPN radio "Jeff Otah did a great job for us the week he was here" and I almost crashed my Mountaineer into a telephone pole. This is the guy who is in charge of our football team. Look at this list of garbage he has had his hands in:

Giving up many draft picks to move up to draft players who are good, but not great, and certainly not game changers
    Gholston Who would you have taken
    Kyle Wilson OK but no great
    Vlad Ducasse Bust so far
    Kellen Clemens Yes, bad pick put in with no change to suceed.
    Anthony Schlegel Bad Pick
    Wayne Hunter Yes, they have a poor RT.
    The Braylon debacle What debacle?
    Allowing Brad Smith to go to a division rival without even an offer
    No Wr's, well 1 "scapegoat" WR who is both untradeable and un-releaseable due to the ridculous contract he got last year
    No Rb's or any team speed on O
    Absolutely horrendous Safeties
    no pass rush (since the NY Sack exchange)
    no O Line depth and definitely no RT
    trading for a guy who fails 2 physicals in less than 1 week, then having to return him under warranty, purporting to the fans that "Otah did a great job for us the week he was here". That is amateurish at best and wreaks of someone in over their heads &/or not knowing WTF he or she is doing.
    botching Darelle's contract to the point that I think he might just be alienated enough to seek FA next contract.
    Bringing in Tebow for what reason i still cannot fathom

Tannanbaum is an accountant, and is great at crunching numbers, however, not with the numbers on the backs of football players jerseys, in my opinion, he has done a horrendous job over the past 2+ years, yet continues to get a pass from the media and most younger fans; why?

Just have to call it like I see it. I know the season has not started yet and I could be 100% wrong about the way I feel coming into this new season.
    I hope I am wrong.

Sorry..
    How would you have done Revis' contract differently. Revis will not leave because he is alienated. He will go for the best money, which is his right.

Great list, you cherry picked the worst few draft picks over the last few year. How about trading up to get Revis? How about staying with the highest rated player on the board this year to draft Coples? Who was there to draft that would for sure fill in at right tackle? Letting Brad Smith go? are you serious, you would have paid him 4 million?

What do you expect him to say on Otah? "Yeah, that guy is a tub of sh**." He took a chance, gave up nothing, so what. With all the stuff going on in the league, you think anyone will remember Otah?

Why didn't he bring in a playmaking WR? He did, we drafted one in the second round, who will hopefully stretch the field this year, and develope over the next 2-3 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manningham, Jacobs, Wilson, Reggie Wayne, Lloyd--the list is endless. If you are ridiculous enought to think that this offense couldn't have been improved then you don't understand football------

Can we at least get someone legitimate to play for Wayne Hunter?
    Manningham, too expensive.
    Jacobs, done.
    Reggie Wayne, 35. We need another old WR?
    Lloyd, too expensive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Jet fan since before you were born. Unlike you, I haven't swallowed the Kool-Aid and look at our chances objectively.
    LOL.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well start with the number 1 draft choice--that could have been a skilled offensive player--be it a receiver or a running back. Then we could have done something in the free agent market to up grade several positions. And of course, you have the Wayne Hunter situation that the Jets really haven't addressed.
    Didn't they get a highly rated skill position player (WR) in the 2nd round?

Who would you have selected at #16?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Tanny had his best draft since 2007 this year.

I think we are paying the price now for having so few picks the past few years. Those picks could have given us the depth we need at some positions. But you have to weigh that with the players we got as a result of trading those picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Tanny had his best draft since 2007 this year.

I think we are paying the price now for having so few picks the past few years. Those picks could have given us the depth we need at some positions. But you have to weigh that with the players we got as a result of trading those picks.
    Agree.

Look at the second rounder we gave up for Cro. Say we actually picked a CB who played as well as Cro has. By now, the Jets would have to be paying him more anyway. Or.... being a second rounder... he could have just sucked, it's a 50/50.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Oh really? You got your crystal ball there or do you just call Ms Cleo on a regular basis? My username should give you an idea of my age. But then again you're not debating anything, you're just spouting off absolutes with childish little nicknames that make it pretty obvious you are at least adolescent in intelligence.
    There's a reason I have this guy on ignore (I think he and old Sackdance99 are the only two names on that list). Every post is the same, from the day they hired Tannenbaum til now. "Bean counter" this and "bean counter" that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't give him the amount of blame or credit that a lot of jet fans do. The guy is put into a position of short term success by the head coaches belief tha the team is SB Bound and the desire of the Owner to sell PSLs in his new stadium.

His complicity in the willingness to steal future cap dollars is the thing that i can't understand. He is supposed to be the bulkwark against the demands of the coaching staff to get this player now. Coaches want to win now, GMs are responsible for putting the team in a good position every year. Next year the three of them are going to pointing fingers at each other. as they try to rebuild with little cap space.
    Jets will be fine for cap space next season. Cutting Scott, Pace, Smith and Hunter will clear 22M in cap space