Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else like the fact we're being overlooked this year?

Does anyone else like the fact we're being overlooked this year?

Our defense has more depth then ive seen maybe ever. The offense is getting crushed by the media Tony Sparano effect on the running is going to be huge for this offense. I say we go 10-6 and right back in the playoffs.

Not being over-looked. Analysts look at the team and see very little offensively. Its clear you can't win in the modern NFL without a potent offense.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Not being over-looked. Analysts look at the team and see very little offensively. Its clear you can't win in the modern NFL without a potent offense.
    you were obviously in a coma in '09 and '10.

Jets Insider VIP
    So why the hell is everyone picking the Niners to make it to the Superbowl?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'd take DWC back in a second if we didn't have to put up with this troll posing as a jets fan.

The addition of Stephen Hill is starting to get overlooked 6'4 runs a 4.3 if people want to double Holmes and bring a saftey down let them. Hill will blow by everyone. I CAN'T WAIT for the season to start.

If the Jets have a down year (like last season), "experts" write them off. They are dysfunctional, they're not good, etc.

But when it comes to teams like the Chargers, Bears, Eagles and Bucs, also coming off crap years, these same "experts" see last season as a bad year and playoffs -- maybe even SB runs for some of them -- in the cards for them this year.

So the Jets don't have a chance to bounce back, but other teams, who played just as bad -- or worse -- as the Jets a season ago, are primed for comebacks. Makes sense.

I hope we pound teams to shut some of these windbags up.

We are being overlooked.

What's being overlooked, and not noticed is how focused the team has been this offseason. That's evident from Rex learning some humility (some......), the team appears to be evolving defensively (not running the same defense it has the last few years - which makes it more difficult now to plan against), the offense is new (as the playcalling will also be new, the team reported to OTAs and training camp in TREMENDOUS physical shape. You can tell Sanchez has bulked up, the linebackers have lost weight except for Maybin, who has put it on. Holmes' attitude is improved. There are many reasons to think the team grew up a little bit this past year.

I'm hoping it translates to the field, but so far if you're a Jets fan, you can't ask for more than the effort put forth by the entire team, from coaches down to players.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If the Jets have a down year (like last season), "experts" write them off. They are dysfunctional, they're not good, etc.

But when it comes to teams like the Chargers, Bears, Eagles and Bucs, also coming off crap years, these same "experts" see last season as a bad year and playoffs -- maybe even SB runs for some of them -- in the cards for them this year.

So the Jets don't have a chance to bounce back, but other teams, who played just as bad -- or worse -- as the Jets a season ago, are primed for comebacks. Makes sense.

I hope we pound teams to shut some of these windbags up.
    I heard Mark Shlereth blabbering the other day about how the Bills were going to pass the Jets in the division and get a wild card slot. I hope Rex uses all this as motivation to get this team going, and going hard.

i hope we are overlooked. the giants are always overlooked and they WIN SB's. Maybe we can start to do what they have done since 1986. we can only wish. been loosing for over 40+yrs

Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    I heard Mark Shlereth blabbering the other day about how the Bills were going to pass the Jets in the division and get a wild card slot. I hope Rex uses all this as motivation to get this team going, and going hard.
    Do you realize that if the Jets beat the Bills in week 1, that's the end of that.

Bills have a ton of pressure on them to win that game.

2010 is probably the only season in recent memory where the Jets ultimately performed close to positive expectations.

In most cases, this team does not perform well when the expectations are high ('99, '03, '07, '08, '11). So yes, I'm glad they're being overlooked this year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Do you realize that if the Jets beat the Bills in week 1, that's the end of that.

Bills have a ton of pressure on them to win that game.
    Yep, hope they come out and stake an early lead in the division. It will go a long way towards setting the tone of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So why the hell is everyone picking the Niners to make it to the Superbowl?
    For starters, the Packers are the consensus favorite in the NFC probably followed by whoever wins the NFC East (most seem to think Eagles right now). Niners are considered a serious contender though. What the Niners have that we don't:

A QB who didn't turn the ball over almost at all last year

A legit #1 stud RB

A dominating D in 2011 that featured multiple stud players at every level (especially the front 7)

Veteran WRs and a stud TE

Won 6 more games than we did last year and play in an easy division

Not rocket science. That said, the Niners look like a 9-10 win team to me, stepback time for them as their division improves and play 1st place sched

I still think this can be a wild card team. Outside observers are saying no more than 8-9 wins. Vegas is saying 8.5. I am taking the over on that.

Look at the schedule. They are playing the NFC West this year. Even though the offense isn't much, they can still beat the Bills and Dolphins.

10-6 and a wild card is my prediction.

If this team somehow gets into the playoffs, you DON'T want to play them. If there's one positive thing I can say about Sanchez is that he plays smarter in the playoffs. That combined with a great defense means you have a chance to win every game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't sweat it though. The Giants won the Superbowl and the top 3 teams picked to win it this year are:

NE
    SF
    PHI

The Eagles? How do they get the nod over the Gmen? If you from NY, you love it, but if you not from NY, you prob hate this place.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I still think this can be a wild card team. Outside observers are saying no more than 8-9 wins. Vegas is saying 8.5. I am taking the over on that.

Look at the schedule. They are playing the NFC West this year. Even though the offense isn't much, they can still beat the Bills and Dolphins.

10-6 and a wild card is my prediction.

If this team somehow gets into the playoffs, you DON'T want to play them. If there's one positive thing I can say about Sanchez is that he plays smarter in the playoffs. That combined with a great defense means you have a chance to win every game.
    The 6 seed (will probably take 9 or so wins, I don't see much depth in the AFC right now) is certainly a possibility if Sanchez cuts down on the turnovers and the D plays to expectations. I agree they could be dangerous as in previous years if they sneak in the playoffs. In the playoffs if you have a good D you are always dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    For starters, the Packers are the consensus favorite in the NFC probably followed by whoever wins the NFC East (most seem to think Eagles right now). Niners are considered a serious contender though. What the Niners have that we don't:

A QB who didn't turn the ball over almost at all last year

A legit #1 stud RB

A dominating D in 2011 that featured multiple stud players at every level (especially the front 7)

Veteran WRs and a stud TE

Won 6 more games than we did last year and play in an easy division

Not rocket science. That said, the Niners look like a 9-10 win team to me, stepback time for them as their division improves and play 1st place sched
    Very well said.

I'm sure Ray or DWC will say the Jets have equal talent, but you nailed the difference between what a true contender is boasting vs. the current perception of the Jets' roster.

If guys like Wilkerson, Coples, Maybin & Greene have monster years, then maybe we can be in the same discussion with teams like the 9ers. Until then, I just don't see this team as a major contender.

Ready for the Jets to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Very well said.

I'm sure Ray or DWC will say the Jets have equal talent, but you nailed the difference between what a true contender is boasting vs. the current perception of the Jets' roster.

If guys like Wilkerson, Coples, Maybin & Greene have monster years, then maybe we can be in the same discussion with teams like the 9ers. Until then, I just don't see this team as a major contender.

Ready for the Jets to prove me wrong.
    Well Ray and DWC think all our unproven guys are studs in the making ready to have a breakout year while teams like Pats who have unproven RBs for example are playing scrubs destined to fail.

It's one way to look at things, but you set yourself up for disappointment. Right now I see a lot of question marks on this team, but I realize Tannenbaum was strapped by the salary cap and could only address so much in the draft. That said, he put his eggs in the Sanchez/Tebow basket, if the offense flops, there will be a lot of calls for his head.

We belong as underdogs until we win something anyway. AFCE title being the first step...