Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Stephen Hill highlights

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Stephen Hill highlights

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_7E3Rv50U
    I know most of you probably don't like hip hop but this song is very fitting

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Great state of TEXAS
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice highlight vid, but that music is not Hip Hop(to me), it's just rap(sounds like Currency though)...

    *Pops in cd to listen to Nas*

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every WR, from scrub to star has this same type of video.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Every WR, from scrub to star has this same type of video.
    But not every scrub has 6'4 height, blazing '4.3 flat' type of speed, outstanding (more like amazing) jumping/leaping ability, top of the line run blocking ability, led the nation in average yards per reception etc, etc.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    But not every scrub has 6'4 height, blazing '4.3 flat' type of speed, outstanding (more like amazing) jumping/leaping ability, top of the line run blocking ability, led the nation in average yards per reception etc, etc.
    Jeez, can you actually just read, get the point and agree or disagree with the premise? Height has nothing to do with it. Do you get extra money by typing numbers in addition to letters?

    Every player has a highlight reel that makes them look all world. Small percentage translates into a NFL career. Makes no difference who we're talking about and how much we like them. Its about the video.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Jeez, can you actually just read, get the point and agree or disagree with the premise? Height has nothing to do with it. Do you get extra money by typing numbers in addition to letters?

    Every player has a highlight reel that makes them look all world. Small percentage translates into a NFL career. Makes no difference who we're talking about and how much we like them. Its about the video.
    I don't think in this case that his ht/wt/speed are irrelevant though.

    While most players coming from college to the pros have these sort of highlight tapes, not many are this impressive.

    There are certain things to look for in these things, IMO. I look for rare skills, things other people just can't do... and Hill has that because of his size. That one-handed catch... a player has to be 6'4" with a massive vertical to even have a chance to catch that pass.

    Of course these tapes don't show drops, and Hill has had problems with drops... so has Brandon Marshall and TO and Braylon.

    I've asked this question to the board several times recently because I think it's important: how many people with his triangle numbers have failed in the NFL?

    Players with Hill's measureables are usually selected early in the 1st round. The only reason he was available in the 2nd IMO is because of the offense he played in.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't think in this case that his ht/wt/speed are irrelevant though.

    While most players coming from college to the pros have these sort of highlight tapes, not many are this impressive.

    There are certain things to look for in these things, IMO. I look for rare skills, things other people just can't do... and Hill has that because of his size. That one-handed catch... a player has to be 6'4" with a massive vertical to even have a chance to catch that pass.

    Of course these tapes don't show drops, and Hill has had problems with drops... so has Brandon Marshall and TO and Braylon.

    I've asked this question to the board several times recently because I think it's important: how many people with his triangle numbers have failed in the NFL?

    Players with Hill's measureables are usually selected early in the 1st round. The only reason he was available in the 2nd IMO is because of the offense he played in.
    My only question .... If he is so amazing ... Why did he opt for such a crappy offense for a WR as his college of choice ? Why didn't USC or Michigan snatch him up ? Don't get me wrong ... I love the pick ... Just saying ...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't think in this case that his ht/wt/speed are irrelevant though.

    While most players coming from college to the pros have these sort of highlight tapes, not many are this impressive.

    There are certain things to look for in these things, IMO. I look for rare skills, things other people just can't do... and Hill has that because of his size. That one-handed catch... a player has to be 6'4" with a massive vertical to even have a chance to catch that pass.

    Of course these tapes don't show drops, and Hill has had problems with drops... so has Brandon Marshall and TO and Braylon.

    I've asked this question to the board several times recently because I think it's important: how many people with his triangle numbers have failed in the NFL?

    Players with Hill's measureables are usually selected early in the 1st round. The only reason he was available in the 2nd IMO is because of the offense he played in.


    Well said.

    A 6'4 athlete who not only possesses blazing (elite) speed but also top of the line jumping/leaping ability?

    Jet fans have every right to consider Stephen Hill something special in the making. We have every right to feel anxious in regards to seeing this kid take the field. Just the fact that Stephen Hill has not only went after Revis, challenged Revis, but also competed against Revis during training camp practices could be a sign of strong things to come.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    My only question .... If he is so amazing ... Why did he opt for such a crappy offense for a WR as his college of choice ? Why didn't USC or Michigan snatch him up ? Don't get me wrong ... I love the pick ... Just saying ...
    You mean the same school that Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas went to? The reason(s) why Calvin Johnson (Newnan), Demaryius Thomas (Montrose) and Stephen Hill (Tucker) all selected Georgia Tech as their program of choice are (were) quite simple; all 3 are Georgia products. Southern kids select Southern schools. Just look at Florida, FSU, Miami, USF etc, etc. All Florida kids. It's no different with Georgia prospects either. They play/perform for their neck of the woods to say the least.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 08-02-2012 at 06:22 AM.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    You mean the same school that Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas went to? The reason(s) why Calvin Johnson (Newnan), Demaryius Thomas (Montrose) and Stephen Hill (Tucker) all selected Georgia Tech as their program of choice are (were) quite simple; all 3 are Georgia products. Southern kids select Southern schools. Just look at Florida, FSU, Miami, USF etc, etc. All Florida kids. It's no different with Georgia prospects either. They play/perform for their neck of the woods to say the least.
    Fair enough.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    My only question .... If he is so amazing ... Why did he opt for such a crappy offense for a WR as his college of choice ? Why didn't USC or Michigan snatch him up ? Don't get me wrong ... I love the pick ... Just saying ...
    Well, I do know that he grew up and played high school ball about 30 minutes from Georgia Tech's campus. He was only a 3-star recruit and 99th ranked WR by Rivals. Perhaps the big time programs weren't an option for him? Who knows? You would have to ask him why he picked that school.

    Really, though, it doesn't matter why he went there.

    And it's pretty stupid to ask why USC or Michigan didn't snatch him up, as if they've had a ton of great WRs to come into the league lately.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Well, I do know that he grew up and played high school ball about 30 minutes from Georgia Tech's campus. He was only a 3-star recruit and 99th ranked WR by Rivals. Perhaps the big time programs weren't an option for him? Who knows? You would have to ask him why he picked that school.

    Really, though, it doesn't matter why he went there.

    And it's pretty stupid to ask why USC or Michigan didn't snatch him up, as if they've had a ton of great WRs to come into the league lately.
    Admittedly I don't follow college ball much and only know the big names like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, OSU, Penn State, Arkansas, NC State, Purdue etc... Mostly from ESPN... I only watch college ball randomly.

    But I have heard the same thing over and over regarding hill ... Not much experience because Georgia was SO heavy with the run game.

    The local thing makes sense to me.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Fair enough.
    The only question mark surrounding this kid, is the college system that he ran routes for. People seem to forget that Hill was running NFL routes with GT ala hooks, curls, slants, screens, posts, outs, in's etc, etc the only difference? It wasn't for a pro-style offense. But at the same time, why use that against Stephen Hill the player and/or talent? It doesn't seem fair, to bash a player's ability/potential; all because an offensive coordinator decided to run the ball 70% of the time.

    What we do know about Stephen Hill, in my honest opinion, should out weigh any concerns and/or question marks surrounding this kid due to the college style of offense he played for.

    He was asked to be a deep threat for GT, and he ended up leading the entire Nation in average yards per reception. He was used as deep threat, and just so happened to be great at what was asked out of him. He was also asked to run block for an offense who loved to rush the football. He ended up being ranked at the Nation's 2nd strongest run blocking wide out coming out of this years draft class. He was used as a run blocking deep threat, he excelled in both categories.

    He's a 6'4 wide out. The perfect size for a true outside #1 wide receiver. The same exact size as Randy Moss. You can't ask Wes Welker to become a true outside #1 WR. He lacks overall size, which isn't the case with a 6'4 (physical) Stephen Hill.

    He's blazing fast. Runs a 4.3 flat 40 yard dash. Which is faster than Calvin Johnson, who ran inside the 4.35's coming out of college. Also has a faster burst out of his break when compared to Calvin Johnson. Calvin ran a 10 yard split in 1.52 seconds. Hill ran the same 10 yard split in only 1.20 seconds. Comparing him to Calvin Johnson? No. Just pointing out some of his god-gifted talents.

    He's blessed with top of the line jumping/leaping ability. Calvin Johnson came out of college with a 42.5 inch vertical and 11 ft 7 inch broad jump. Stephen Hill is coming out of college with a 39 inch vertical and 11 ft 1 inch broad jump. How much jumping ability does Hill really have? Lets just say that a great red zone receiver in Plaxico Burress couldn't compare coming out of school. Plaxico had a 33.0 inch vertical and 9 ft 5 inch broad jump.

    Kid led the nation in average yards per reception. Has the elite speed to become an instant deep threat (on an NFL level). Rated as the Nation's #2 run blocking wide out coming out of college. Very strong/physical outside wide receiver. At 6'4, along with outstanding jumping ability? Kid has all the makings of an absolute freak of nature and/or monster red zone target; Especially considering the fact that he also possesses an arm length of 34⅜ inches.

    Did I forget to mention that he's already stood out against one of the greatest coverage corners of all-time in Darrelle Revis? And lets not forget, he's no longer running "college routes".

    But yet, as a way to "tone down" overall excitement coming from Jet fans in regards to Stephen Hill, the Nay-Sayers and/or realists will point to the routes that he was forced to run while a college offensive coordinator called the plays. He was asked to be a vertical deep threat, and he ended up leading the Nation in average yards per reception. He was asked to run block as an outside wide receiver, and ended up rating as the Countries #2 rated run blocking wide out.

    With all that said, who's to say that Hill won't (also) become great in regards to what our coaching staff asks/expects out of Hill moving forward?
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 08-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Admittedly I don't follow college ball much and only know the big names like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, OSU, Penn State, Arkansas, NC State, Purdue etc... Mostly from ESPN... I only watch college ball randomly.

    But I have heard the same thing over and over regarding hill ... Not much experience because Georgia was SO heavy with the run game.

    The local thing makes sense to me.
    Understood.

    Lots of college offenses are run heavy, but GT is a weird offense with the triple option... but two very recent 1st round WRs went there, so they apparently do a good job developing that position.

    If I had to guess, I'd say he probably went there because it's right around the corner from his family. He probably grew up rooting for and dreaming about playing for the Yellow Jackets.

    That probably wasn't the best decision for his future. Maybe he would have done better for himself by going to Texas Tech or Boise State.

    I doubt LSU, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. were options for him given his low positional rank.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Understood.

    Lots of college offenses are run heavy, but GT is a weird offense with the triple option... but two very recent 1st round WRs went there, so they apparently do a good job developing that position.

    If I had to guess, I'd say he probably went there because it's right around the corner from his family. He probably grew up rooting for and dreaming about playing for the Yellow Jackets.

    That probably wasn't the best decision for his future. Maybe he would have done better for himself by going to Texas Tech or Boise State.

    I doubt LSU, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. were options for him given his low positional rank.
    Well count me in as an optimist ... Would love to see him supplant Toon as my favorite Jet wideout.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    The only question mark surrounding this kid, is the college system that he ran routes for. People seem to forget that Hill was running NFL routes with GT ala hooks, curls, slants, screens, posts, outs, in's etc, etc the only difference? It wasn't for a pro-style offense. But at the same time, why use that against Stephen Hill the player and/or talent? It doesn't seem fair, to bash a player's ability/potential; all because an offensive coordinator decided to run the ball 70% of the time.

    What we do know about Stephen Hill, in my honest opinion, should out weigh any concerns and/or question marks surrounding this kid due to the college style of offense he played for.

    He was asked to be a deep threat for GT, and he ended up leading the entire Nation in average yards per reception. He was used as deep threat, and just so happened to be great at what was asked out of him. He was also asked to run block for an offense who loved to rush the football. He ended up being ranked at the Nation's 2nd strongest run blocking wide out coming out of this years draft class. He was used as a run blocking deep threat, he excelled in both categories.

    He's a 6'4 wide out. The perfect size for a true outside #1 wide receiver. The same exact size as Randy Moss. You can't ask Wes Welker to become a true outside #1 WR. He lacks overall size, which isn't the case with a 6'4 (physical) Stephen Hill.

    He's blazing fast. Runs a 4.3 flat 40 yard dash. Which is faster than Calvin Johnson, who ran inside the 4.35's coming out of college. Also has a faster burst out of his break when compared to Calvin Johnson. Calvin ran a 10 yard split in 1.52 seconds. Hill ran the same 10 yard split in only 1.20 seconds. Comparing him to Calvin Johnson? No. Just pointing out some of his god-gifted talents.

    He's blessed with top of the line jumping/leaping ability. Calvin Johnson came out of college with a 42.5 inch vertical and 11 ft 7 inch broad jump. Stephen Hill is coming out of college with a 39 inch vertical and 11 ft 1 inch broad jump. How much jumping ability does Hill really have? Lets just say that a great red zone receiver in Plaxico Burress couldn't compare coming out of school. Plaxico had a 33.0 inch vertical and 9 ft 5 inch broad jump.

    Kid led the nation in average yards per reception. Has the elite speed to become an instant deep threat (on an NFL level). Rated as the Nation's #2 run blocking wide out coming out of college. Very strong/physical outside wide receiver. At 6'4, along with outstanding jumping ability? Kid has all the makings of an absolute freak of nature and/or monster red zone target; Especially considering the fact that he also possesses an arm length of 34⅜ inches.

    Did I forget to mention that he's already stood out against one of the greatest coverage corners of all-time in Darrelle Revis? And lets not forget, he's no longer running "college routes".

    But yet, as a way to "tone down" overall excitement coming from Jet fans in regards to Stephen Hill, the Nay-Sayers and/or realists will point to the routes that he was forced to run while a college offensive coordinator called the plays. He was asked to be a vertical deep threat, and he ended up leading the Nation in average yards per reception. He was asked to run block as an outside wide receiver, and ended up rating as the Countries #2 rated run blocking wide out.

    With all that said, who's to say that Hill won't (also) become great in regards to what our coaching staff asks/expects out of Hill moving forward?
    lol

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Well count me in as an optimist ... Would love to see him supplant Toon as my favorite Jet wideout.
    Other than Keyshawn Johnson, I haven't been this anxious to see a Jets rookie WR take the field since both Santana Moss and Laveranues Coles. Being in FLorida, I had lots of exposure to both Moss (Miami) and Coles (FSU) coming out of college, and loved the draft selection(s) at the time. The difference? Neither Coles or (especially) Moss had 6'4/215-220 type of size needed in order to dominate as an outside wide receiver. Here's to Hill becoming/developing into our strongest outside WR since Keyshawn Johnson.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the highlights a lot of his catches could have went for big gains if his quarterback was able to hit him in stride. He is stopping, waiting or coming back to the ball on a lot of those catches.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,605
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every player has a highlight film, but let's hope this one holds true...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us