Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Jets Safeties vs Pats TE's

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Landry when healthy 3 years ago was one of the best SS in the league, but not becasuse of his coverage, but agaisnt the run. He was good in coverage for a SS but that is a big disclaimer.

    While it is certainly reasonable for him to return to being a very good safety- to expect the same level of performance that he had prior to the injury and adding 15 lbs (at least) will be wishful at best. Bell is a solid SS but was never very good in pass defense even in his younger years.

    I think they put Cro on Hernadez, Wilson on Welker, Revis on Lloyd and Lankster on Gronk with Landry doubling. I don't see Rex using 2 safeties and 3 corners but 1 safety and 4 corners and rely on the LB to pick up the screen and the running game.
    I bet they bring the safeties up and smash the TEs in the mouth at the line to throw,off their timings.

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I bet they bring the safeties up and smash the TEs in the mouth at the line to throw,off their timings.
    Like everything, it can always be countered.... put them in motion....

    If you want someone to be free, there's always a way.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Custer was arrogant, not afraid. He got himself in a situation because of arrogance. And got whacked in less than 10 minutes.
    Landry? One of the best? When did that occur? Certainly not in the 15 games he DID NOT play the last 2 years.
    Double team the TE (NE has 2), plus Welker and the other WR?
    Jets pressure? Like what we've seen for 3 years? Intimidating. What a group of all pro DLs. Why, it's the Steel Curtain and Fearsome Foursome and Dallas Doomsday all in one - BUT BETTER. Landry and Bell. Why the best combo in the history of the NFL.
    No more Koolaid for you.
    Next: Sanchez is better than Montana.
    So I see you're not just a self hating Jet fan. You hate America too. Good for you. I said when he was healthy, and this is dependent on him being healthy. Do you think they'll have 3 slot receivers coming at us? I know the Pats get special treatment, but they don't get extra players.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Custer was arrogant, not afraid. He got himself in a situation because of arrogance. And got whacked in less than 10 minutes.
    Landry? One of the best? When did that occur? Certainly not in the 15 games he DID NOT play the last 2 years.
    Double team the TE (NE has 2), plus Welker and the other WR?
    Jets pressure? Like what we've seen for 3 years? Intimidating. What a group of all pro DLs. Why, it's the Steel Curtain and Fearsome Foursome and Dallas Doomsday all in one - BUT BETTER. Landry and Bell. Why the best combo in the history of the NFL.
    No more Koolaid for you.
    Next: Sanchez is better than Montana.
    +1

    Solid post.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Landry when healthy 3 years ago was one of the best SS in the league, but not becasuse of his coverage, but agaisnt the run. He was good in coverage for a SS but that is a big disclaimer.

    While it is certainly reasonable for him to return to being a very good safety- to expect the same level of performance that he had prior to the injury and adding 15 lbs (at least) will be wishful at best. Bell is a solid SS but was never very good in pass defense even in his younger years.

    I think they put Cro on Hernadez, Wilson on Welker, Revis on Lloyd and Lankster on Gronk with Landry doubling. I don't see Rex using 2 safeties and 3 corners but 1 safety and 4 corners and rely on the LB to pick up the screen and the running game.
    Who is it that you think normally cover the TE? The Free Safety usually helps the corners deep. If we play one on one on the outside we have a nickle up to provide over the top coverage on the TEs and Bell and Landry to punish them if they get the ball, and a LB hit them on the line to break up their timing. Our safeties have been so bad over the years that even good safety play will seem dominant.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    +1

    Solid post.
    They must love you in Texas.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Who is it that you think normally cover the TE? The Free Safety usually helps the corners deep. If we play one on one on the outside we have a nickle up to provide over the top coverage on the TEs and Bell and Landry to punish them if they get the ball, and a LB hit them on the line to break up their timing. Our safeties have been so bad over the years that even good safety play will seem dominant.
    Who usually covers TE is based on what defense is called based on the offensive set. I would think that most nfl defenses will cover the TE with a linbacker if the TE is playing on the tackle's shoulder, with deep help provided by a zone safety. If the TE is playing off the line- in the slot sort of like Sharpe used to with denver then it usually falls into the FS responsibility , but again is is based on the full offensive set. So I guess I can't answer that question as the answer changes based on the offensive set. That is why the pats run so many different offensive sets and why they are difficult to defend.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Who usually covers TE is based on what defense is called based on the offensive set. I would think that most nfl defenses will cover the TE with a linbacker if the TE is playing on the tackle's shoulder, with deep help provided by a zone safety. If the TE is playing off the line- in the slot sort of like Sharpe used to with denver then it usually falls into the FS responsibility , but again is is based on the full offensive set. So I guess I can't answer that question as the answer changes based on the offensive set. That is why the pats run so many different offensive sets and why they are difficult to defend.
    What I'm saying is that with the ability to cover the outside one on one we should be able to get away with 2 strong safeties as long as they're very good. We've been so poor at that position, and we've had to send extra guys to get pressure that we've struggled to cover the TE. If we can get pressure with 4, we can cover the middle over and under, and we'll be pretty good.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So I see you're not just a self hating Jet fan. You hate America too. Good for you. I said when he was healthy, and this is dependent on him being healthy. Do you think they'll have 3 slot receivers coming at us? I know the Pats get special treatment, but they don't get extra players.
    Where does hate America come in? Are you on serious drugs or what?
    If JIM BROWN was young again, he'd be great. He's not. Landry missed half of the last two seasons. RED FLAG. He's not suddenly Polamalu.
    And the Pats can and HAVE gone 5 receivers. Often.
    There's a difference between being a "hate the Jets" and a realistic attitude. Objectivity. It comes from watching a team since their first game as Jets. Seen it all before. Heard all the praise before. See similar results before.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    What I'm saying is that with the ability to cover the outside one on one we should be able to get away with 2 strong safeties as long as they're very good. We've been so poor at that position, and we've had to send extra guys to get pressure that we've struggled to cover the TE. If we can get pressure with 4, we can cover the middle over and under, and we'll be pretty good.
    Well yeah, if you cover the wides, get pressure and can cover Gronk and Hernadez, you got the game won. I think Bell and landry (if healthy) are good
    SS, but their strength is in supporting the run and not the pass. By no means are they horrible in the passing game, just that they are borderline/good vs the pass, their skills match up well with a typical TE but not with a Gronk, Hernadez,Graham, Witten type.

  11. #51
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people need to go back and watch the 2007 Patriots/Redskins blowout. Landry got toasted all game long. He was targeted a bunch of times.

    I'm not saying he hasn't improved since his rookie year but to think a safety who has never been known for his coverage skills is going to shut down anybody is a guess at best.

    I think it's a good pick up for the Jets but the guy's got flaws like most.

    He likes to play in the box so and has a habit of biting on play-action because he wants to cover the run...
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 08-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.

  12. #52
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I bet they bring the safeties up and smash the TEs in the mouth at the line to throw,off their timings.
    I think Gronk would welcome that any day.

    Look what he did to Suggs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhamDo7F9yI

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well yeah, if you cover the wides, get pressure and can cover Gronk and Hernadez, you got the game won. I think Bell and landry (if healthy) are good
    SS, but their strength is in supporting the run and not the pass. By no means are they horrible in the passing game, just that they are borderline/good vs the pass, their skills match up well with a typical TE but not with a Gronk, Hernadez,Graham, Witten type.
    If a safety matches up coverage wise with those guys he's going to get run over. The idea is to double them. What I think Rex wants is to be able to stop the run from the nickle. Remember we got run over by you guys stuck in the nickle. I don't think that happens with Bell and Landry out there. Last year our real problems stemmed from giving up some big plays in the run game.

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stopping the Pats TEs will be very difficult, not one team did last year, including he Giants in the Sb where a one legged Gronk was neutralize by injury, but Hernandez had a big day. and if the WRs are halfway decent, you basically make it impossible to double team.

    Because the Pats play a TE set, you have to play base D, or at least nickle, or the Pats will run all day, even an average running team , can run it on a dime defense. Than when you have your run stopping personnel on the field, the Pats go no huddle and throw it, when you bring in your pass defense, they go no huddle and pound the ball.

    You need to get to Brady fast with only 4, with your base D, play off the TEs to minimize the damage, but the Pats will still score.

    Really you need to score, and keep the Pats offense off the field. The Pats D is still not world beaters, you can have long scoring drives on them, but you better get TDs, cause if you get FGs, you will be in trouble.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If a safety matches up coverage wise with those guys he's going to get run over. The idea is to double them. What I think Rex wants is to be able to stop the run from the nickle. Remember we got run over by you guys stuck in the nickle. I don't think that happens with Bell and Landry out there. Last year our real problems stemmed from giving up some big plays in the run game.
    Yeah it is going to be interesting on how Def coaches counteract the two TE set from the pats. But they will eventualy and that is when the pats will need to execute something else.

    The greatest show on turf got beat, air-Coreyl got beat, Zone blitz got beat, wildcat got beat. [I]t is just a matter of time.

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    6,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Yeah it is going to be interesting on how Def coaches counteract the two TE set from the pats. But they will eventualy and that is when the pats will need to execute something else.

    The greatest show on turf got beat, air-Coreyl got beat, Zone blitz got beat, wildcat got beat. [I]t is just a matter of time.
    If anyone can figure this out, it will be Rex, the greatest defensive mind in the game.


  17. #57
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Not afraid? Custer wasn't afraid either.
    NE TEs vs. Jet safeties? Total mismatch.


    Need LB help to offset NE TEs. Possible with NE's lack of a ground game.
    LOL this organization is such a joke, they need to STFU and let it play out. Why piss off the juggernaut of the division? Why open your mouth when you have trouble even getting on the field Landry? As usual, the NY Jets are all talk...

  18. #58
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like everyone's been posting, you gotta pressure Brady to stop their TEs or receivers in general. Even Welker got space against Revis when Brady had time to throw. If Brady has time, their TEs are gonna make our safeties look like clowns.

    Regarding who should cover who, I say

    Revis - Lloyd (he'll be the big play guy. WE can't give up cheap points)
    Wilson - Welker (time for Wilson to be a big boy)
    Cro - Hernandez (Hernandez to me is their most dangerous guy)
    Landry & LB - Gronk (gotta double team him with a S and LB)
    Bell - Gaffney/Stallworth (Bell's gotta be able to take on the 5th receiver one on one)

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Like everyone's been posting, you gotta pressure Brady to stop their TEs or receivers in general. Even Welker got space against Revis when Brady had time to throw. If Brady has time, their TEs are gonna make our safeties look like clowns.

    Regarding who should cover who, I say

    Revis - Lloyd (he'll be the big play guy. WE can't give up cheap points)
    Wilson - Welker (time for Wilson to be a big boy)
    Cro - Hernandez (Hernandez to me is their most dangerous guy)
    Landry & LB - Gronk (gotta double team him with a S and LB)
    Bell - Gaffney/Stallworth (Bell's gotta be able to take on the 5th receiver one on one)
    That is how I would play it also, but I don's see the pats going empty too often with the way Rex likes to bring pressure by overloading one side,
    they will need a back or hernadez as a h-back for blitz pick up and as a safety valve or screen option.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us