Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets Safeties vs Pats TE's

All League

Jets Safeties vs Pats TE's

Very interesting matchup developing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1126719

All League
    NY Jets’ LaRon Landry isn’t scared of Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez
    Newest Jet says that New England's Gronkowski isn't the only 'beast' in the NFL.

BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Rob Gronkowski has the best season ever by a tight end last year with 17 touchdowns and 1,327 yards.

Confident or cocky? Should LaRon Landry and the Jets continue to bait the Patriots?

CORTLAND — The Patriots may have the most explosive tight end duo in NFL history, but the Jets, frankly, aren’t afraid.

A season after getting exposed by tight ends across the league, Gang Green revamped their safety group by adding LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell with an eye on stopping Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

“They’re good tight ends,” Bell said after practice Wednesday. “You don’t want to take any credit away from those guys. But we’re good safeties. They’re just people. We can go out there and we can cover those guys. We can do what needs to be done. I don’t think it’s a mismatch either way.”

Landry, who hasn’t finished each of the past two seasons due to nagging Achilles injuries, remains undaunted by Gronk Nation.

“They got a lot of beasts in the league,” Landry said. “He’s not the only tight end that’s great in the league. I went up against a lot of great guys. I’m not discrediting Gronkowski. He’s a great tight end… I’m looking forward to the challenge… if they want me to go in the box and cover him, if they want me to go in the box and play as a linebacker, if they want me to go deep man-to-man. Whatever. I’ll do it all.”

Landry already has made his presence in the Jets’ scheme in the past few practices.

“They already got a great organization, a great defense,” Landry said. “I’m just trying to be that spice to this gumbo they got going on.”

The Jets plan to monitor Landry’s reps throughout training camp and the regular season. However, the hard-hitting safety hasn’t slowed down so far. He even popped a couple running backs during drills on Wednesday.

RON ANTONELLI/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

LaRon Landry

“I only know one speed and that’s 100 miles an hour,” Landry said. “I’m either going to give it my all or I’m going to give you nothing at all. If I’m healthy and 100, I’m going to give it my all. If I’m not, I’m still going to go out there like a one-legged dog in an ass-kicking contest and still try to give it my all.

“So that’s what it’s all about,” Landry added. “Once I put on my body armor and strap it up, it’s time to go get it. That’s the only way I know. That’s the only way you get better and that’s the only way you make your teammates better — by giving it your all. If you’re going out there with full body armor and doing walk through, what kind of progress are you making? How do you make yourself better?”

Landry, who played free safety at LSU before moving to strong safety after he was drafted by the Redskins, disagreed with the perception that he can only play in the box. He even offered a light-hearted piece of advice to those people who believe that.

“Hey quote this,” Landry said with a smile. “Smack yourself.”

Bell, 34, reiterated his belief that the two of them can play all over the field in Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine’s system.

“I think if you put any combo of (Landry, Eric Smith and himself) back there, we’re going to be dangerous,” Bell said. “We have one goal this year of trying to win the Super Bowl. We think that we can both be vital parts to that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz22LlFJCD6

Jets Insider VIP
    "The Patriots may have the most explosive tight end duo in NFL history, but the Jets, frankly, aren’t afraid."

Famous last words.

The key to stopping the Pats offense isn't stopping their TE's. It's getting to Tom Brady so his TE's never even see the ball thrown to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    "The Patriots may have the most explosive tight end duo in NFL history, but the Jets, frankly, aren’t afraid."

Famous last words.

The key to stopping the Pats offense isn't stopping their TE's. It's getting to Tom Brady so his TE's never even see the ball thrown to them.
    been saying that forever
    this time in a long time we have some pass rushers
    maybin, sapp, couples

All League
    If the Pass Rush is one step faster, and the Safeties are one step closer, it could be the difference between a NE TD drive, or a 3 and out.

Sounds like the only provocative statements in this article are coming from Mehta himself. The quotes from Landry and Bell are completely innocuous.

Banned
    Due to our coaching staff having overall freedom of allowing coverage corners in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson to be lined up in man to man, one on one coverage... Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry have the ability (potential) to change the entire outlook of our defense this up coming season. They may not be the greatest coverage Safety's around, but with Revis and Cromartie locking up on the outside? These two Safety's in Bell and Landry are 'Taylor-Made' for a Rex Ryan led defense. If Landry is able to return to previous form (health wise), we're on the verge of featuring strong, aggressive, tough, physical, hard hitting types of Safety's; who are both very strong open field tacklers. Something we haven't had in quite some time. Due to having the strongest trio of coverage corners around, our Safety's in Bell and Landry will be able to roam the middle of the field while looking to punish TE's crossing the middle of the field and/or HB's coming out of the backfield. Health is key, because if Landry can stay healthy? Bell and Landry will add another dimension to our defense, a dimension that we've lacked for quite some time; which are big, strong, aggressive, physical, hard hitting, strong tackling Safety's being asked to roam the middle of the field.

Hearing reports of Landry being taken off the PUP list, practicing with pads on, while also making plays (at the same time) has put a smile on my face. We're talking about a Safety who's only 27 years of age as a former 6th overall draft selection (2007). This man put up 95 tackles as a rookie. 90 tackles as a 3rd year player, and before going down in 2010, Landry was on the verge of putting up monster numbers. Put up 85 tackles during only 9 games before getting hurt. An average of 9.4 tackles per game. He was on pace for a 150 tackle type of season. If Landry can return to form and bounce back from injury? We just landed one of the toughest Safety's around.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 08-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Not afraid? Custer wasn't afraid either.
    NE TEs vs. Jet safeties? Total mismatch.

Need LB help to offset NE TEs. Possible with NE's lack of a ground game.

I think that Antonio Allen will also be a factor here in covering the TE.

He played a hybrid LB/safety position at south carolina, and excelled vs college TEs (obviously not the same as gronk/hernandez.).

Given the weakness of the NE offensive line (matt light retired, and so far no Brian Waters) I think we can play a "base" defense of nickel vs them if we have bell "in the box" to support the run and if it is necessary to play a dime we can bring allen in as the extra defender to play man vs one of the TEs.

The NE running game shouldnt be that strong, but they do have a history of killing us with their stretch play.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think that Antonio Allen will also be a factor here in covering the TE.

He played a hybrid LB/safety position at south carolina, and excelled vs college TEs (obviously not the same as gronk/hernandez.).

Given the weakness of the NE offensive line (matt light retired, and so far no Brian Waters) I think we can play a "base" defense of nickel vs them if we have bell "in the box" to support the run and if it is necessary to play a dime we can bring allen in as the extra defender to play man vs one of the TEs.

The NE running game shouldnt be that strong, but they do have a history of killing us with their stretch play.

Waters has a non-agreement to show up later in camp. He'll be playing. Do yourself a favor and don't count on a breakdown of the Pats' OL as the key to beating them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Waters has a non-agreement to show up later in camp. He'll be playing. Do yourself a favor and don't count on a breakdown of the Pats' OL as the key to beating them this year.
    The key to be NE this year again will be their weak D. No doubt there is a great deal of concern about that D with the draft that they delivered.

Anyone can be stopped. The question is what it takes to stop them and what you give up. It's always about whether you get exposed and if the other team can take advantage of it.

Should Landry be afraid, no.

Should any Pats safety be afraid of any Jets receiver, no.

I mean come on, they don't just throw 11 bodies out there and say "play".

I've had enough of the talking from the Jets. The Pats have owned the division for years.

Shut up and make your statements on the field. Then I'll believe the D can stop those TEs...and Brady.

All League
    Gronkowski and Hernandez are a complete mismatch for EVERYONE in the NFL until proven otherwise. Not just the said "unafraid" Jets DBs. I like the mindset though. (didn't read the article)

Hall Of Fame
    Still a mismatch. An yes, they are a mistmatch for everyone in the NFL. However, every team's TEs will be a mistmatch for us and that is the real problem. Forget the Pats. We have 14 other games where that will be a problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Still a mismatch. An yes, they are a mistmatch for everyone in the NFL. However, every team's TEs will be a mistmatch for us and that is the real problem. Forget the Pats. We have 14 other games where that will be a problem as well.

This is the key point. Rex can gear up his defense all he wants to beat the Pats, it doesn't meant a thing if they still win more games outside of the division.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

These two Safety's in Bell and Landry are 'Taylor-Made' for a Rex Ryan led defense.
    What's the significance of the quotes and caps? Who is Taylor?

BTw, asked in the other thread--does anyone know--is Steed playing CB or S?

_

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    If the Pass Rush is one step faster, and the Safeties are one step closer, it could be the difference between a NE TD drive, or a 3 and out.
    This. Almost no safety is going to be able to match up with todays TE's. TE's normally take a bit longer to get into a pattern than a WR so pass rush is the way to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    This is the key point. Rex can gear up his defense all he wants to beat the Pats, it doesn't meant a thing if they still win more games outside of the division.
    Yes but you do take into consideration your divisional opponents when you build your team. And it just so happens that what the Pats do extremely well the Jets do not defend well.

We needed to get new safeties b.c that was an extreme weakness against every team, not just the Pats. Only problem is, IMO I don't think these guys can cover either. If it was a body-building competition, we would win in a landslide.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Not afraid? Custer wasn't afraid either.
    NE TEs vs. Jet safeties? Total mismatch.

Need LB help to offset NE TEs. Possible with NE's lack of a ground game.
    First off. Custer was scared. He knew they were all going to die, and that's what made it such a big deal.

Total mismatch is just ignorant. Landry if healthy is one of the best safeties in the league. They will double the TE. That's the point of the article. With the corners playing man, and if we can get pressure with the front 4 then we have deep help Landry can punish anyone coming over the middle. Total mismatch my ass. We had a top 5 defense last year with terrible safety play. If Landry and Bell are healthy then no one will be a mismatch.