Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Today is “National Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.”

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Growing up, marriage was something a man and a woman did. It was just automatically assumed.

Being gay was something men did with each other at the Vince Lombardi rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

When did that all change?
    June 28, 1969, when gays finally got sick and tired of being treated like less than full human being by people like you and starting standing up for themselves.

(The coloreds and then women used to know their place too...oh the times they are a changin.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Why do the states that have higher percentages of Christians also have the highest divorce rates in the country?
    yet another post that makes no valid or logical argument. thanks.

All Pro
    Why do the states that have higher percentages of Christians also have the highest divorce rates in the country?
    PeaKock, you got this from the same place you got that fracking info, correct?

...the General Social Survey, a vast demographic study conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago... found that Christians, like adherents of other religions, have a divorce rate of about 42%. The rate among religiously unaffiliated Americans is 50%.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...ristians_N.htm
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    June 28, 1969, when gays finally got sick and tired of being treated like less than full human being by people like you and starting standing up for themselves.

(The coloreds and then women used to know their place too...oh the times they are a changin.)
    That was the day the gay marriage movement started AND AIDS was incubated...truly momentous

All Pro
    Do you have a shifting-the-argument handbook that you keep at the ready when posting in the Poli-Sci?

WF is making some good points. This needs to be looked at and rewritten specifically for the subject, gay marriage. Personally, I think it's a shame that partners can't make things like EoL decisions or treatment calls. But we can't lean on past decisions that aren't applicable in their implementation simply because the spirit of their rulings were. It's something new, treat it as such. If you're right, the laws will get done on the merits of their cause.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    You do realize the left started this whole thing, right? The owner is entitled to whatever opinion he wants, but the left was "outraged" by his opinion and tried to blackball the chain.

That obviously backfired as people by the thousands showed their support for the owner's viewpoints -- all legal and within the bounds of personal expression.

If you think the far right/conservatives are less tolerant than far left/liberals -- I just don't know what to tell you . . .
    Both extreme ends of the political spectrum (left and right) are equally intolerant. If you think one extreme is worse then the other -- I just don't know what to tell you...

By the way, the owner is most certainly not entitled to whatever opinion he wants to say. Freedom of speech does not afford you the ability to say anything you want (you cannot yell FIRE in a movie theater just for kicks). You can say what you like as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. And that is an issue for many people; does a business owner, who can hire and fire people, allow his personal prejudices to morph into discrimination against a group of people.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 08-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    That was the day the gay marriage movement started AND AIDS was incubated...truly momentous
    Another Huckabee exclusive I take it.......

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Another Huckabee exclusive I take it.......
    Pipe down kid. Every response from you these days is the knee-jerk-off-ish "you saw it on Fox News Channel".

I almost feel sorry for dopes who adopt the avatar of a carpetbagging playboy millionaire who had their head blowed off by a Fakeistinian. No not really.

All Pro
    Pipe down kid. Every response from you these days is the knee-jerk-off-ish "you saw it on Fox News Channel".

I almost feel sorry for dopes who adopt the avatar of a carpetbagging playboy millionaire who had their head blowed off by a Fakeistinian. No not really.

Sorry kid, but if you are going to make historically absurd posts then you have to expect a little good-natured ribbing.

As for the rest of your post........
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 08-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Classy.

All League
    I wonder if we will see this many Christians lining up outside their churches to do charity work like they did to buy fried chicken patties.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I wonder if we will see this many Christians lining up outside their churches to do charity work like they did to buy fried chicken patties.
    post your record on this so we know you're able to actually throw stones.

Hall Of Fame
    Might want to do some research on who in this country gives most to charitable organizations before you make yourself look silly again.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    post your record on this so we know you're able to actually throw stones.
    Sure. Volunteered at soup kitchens almost every weekend while i was in high schoolOtis was in a after school club and it was not a good way to meet the ladies) helped my sister in law create her charity after she got out of the peace corp and spend winters at my wife's church (I'm not religious) collecting donations (they always give generously and when we count the tally I get all warm and tingly thinking about how good people can be) did habitat for humanity for a little over a year during my 20s. Probably like everyone else I organized a local blood drive (wih my doctor friends and family) after 9/11. Currently all I do now is Volunteer some time at a local retirement home when I can (met people when my grandmother was there and felt bad for those folks spending hours doing nothing. I play cards with some really old men. Get coffee, talk sports, and listen to the same stories over and over. So it isn't really charity. Since my son was born I can do it as much as I used too.)

Talking to the priest at a wedding I went to this weekend (he was at the reception) he said that he disagrees with the display and felt it was decidedly unchristian. The line I used in my previous post was paraphrased from something he said. "if half those people would dedicate some time to charitable causes that would be newsworthy". He couldn't understand a man of god advocating going to a fast food restaurant as a display of Christian values.

Hall Of Fame
    Sure. Volunteered at soup kitchens almost every weekend while i was in high schoolOtis was in a after school club and it was not a good way to meet the ladies) helped my sister in law create her charity after she got out of the peace corp and spend winters at my wife's church (I'm not religious) collecting donations (they always give generously and when we count the tally I get all warm and tingly thinking about how good people can be) did habitat for humanity for a little over a year during my 20s. Probably like everyone else I organized a local blood drive (wih my doctor friends and family) after 9/11. Currently all I do now is Volunteer some time at a local retirement home when I can (met people when my grandmother was there and felt bad for those folks spending hours doing nothing. I play cards with some really old men. Get coffee, talk sports, and listen to the same stories over and over. So it isn't really charity. Since my son was born I can do it as much as I used too.)

Talking to the priest at a wedding I went to this weekend (he was at the reception) he said that he disagrees with the display and felt it was decidedly unchristian. The line I used in my previous post was paraphrased from something he said. "if half those people would dedicate some time to charitable causes that would be newsworthy". He couldn't understand a man of god advocating going to a fast food restaurant as a display of Christian values.

links, or it never happened. also need notarized documents.

thankee, in advance.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Might want to do some research on who in this country gives most to charitable organizations before you make yourself look silly again.
    Reading comprehension is fun.

I said volunteer. Not donate money. I know putting a dollar in the collection basket is a nice thing to do but volunteering an hour a week at a food bank is what I was talking about.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    links, or it never happened. also need notarized documents.

thankee, in advance.

Haha. I figured. But somehow proving myself to random stereotypical disgruntled right wing poster on a jet fan website is not high on my list. Shouldn't have wasted my time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    I disagree with his interpretation of the issue for the reasons I laid out, including the historical references that I, as well as others in this thread, argued.

Simply put; one segment of the population has the right to marry their partner and enjoy all the legal benefits that goes along with it. Another segment of the population does not have that same right. It is most certainly not equal. It is not even accurate to say that the lawful interpretation of marriage in this country is between a man and a woman only because several states, as well as the district of Columbia, recognize same-sex marriage as legal so there is absolutely a previous precedent.

And again, as an example, if the standard is that you can only ask for rights that have been clearly defined but denied to you then the women who fought for the right to vote would never have been granted that right. Why? Because it was never written prior to the amendment that men AND women have the right to vote.

After the Revolutionary War, when the United States gained it's freedom from England, the founding fathers drafted a Constitution for the new country. In this Constitution they gave the right to vote only to white, land-owning men.

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spri...y/history.html
    The State has the right to regulate marriage. You don't have a constitutional right to marry a same sex partner.

Race unlike gender is specifically protected in the Constitution. The inter-racial marriage argument doesn't make a Constitutional argumement that protects gay marriage.

There is no seperate but equal issue here.

You can argue that their should be same sex marriage and I agree but it is most certainly a ballot box issue not a protected Constitutional rights issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Reading comprehension is fun.

I said volunteer. Not donate money. I know putting a dollar in the collection basket is a nice thing to do but volunteering an hour a week at a food bank is what I was talking about.
    You're right. Reading comprehension is fun. You'll notice in my post I said nothing about "donations", I said "give", which to just about anyone with basic level understanding knows implies both time and money.

But to clarify for you, I will repeat again:

Might want to do some research on who in this country gives the most of their time and money to charitable organizations before you make yourself look silly again.

It's a simple Google session. Take a few minutes there instead of digging yourself deeper here.

All League
    You're right. Reading comprehension is fun. You'll notice in my post I said nothing about "donations", I said "give", which to just about anyone with basic level understanding knows implies both time and money.

But to clarify for you, I will repeat again:

Might want to do some research on who in this country gives the most of their time and money to charitable organizations before you make yourself look silly again.

It's a simple Google session. Time a few minutes there instead of digging yourself deeper here.
    Nice backtrack

Woah. You mean the largest demographic also gives the most? That's crazy. Is that per capita?

So then I will find photos of lines of people spilling out on the street trying to get into church and do some charity work? Please share those if you have them. Thanks.