Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Coach Cavanaugh

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Coach Cavanaugh

Coach Cavanaugh - Why Is He Here???

Anyone who was up at camp or even those of you watching the practices this week

What impression did Coach Cavanaugh make in Cortland?

Did anyone notice anything about him one way or the other?

in todays practice thread beerfish said

[keeping Cavanaugh] was a real head scratcher for me. Why Cavanaugh was kept on when shotty was dumped is bewildering.

... we are hearing a lot of good things from many of the coaches and how they are working the guys tough ... what about cavanaugh?

... do any of you have possible insight into what positives he may bring to the table? ...

... it was very surprising to me as well that he wasn't let go when shotty was ... i assumed he should be held accountable for the O's failure as a whole & sanchez's in particular as well (mark still gets this year to prove himself ... ***please do not make this thread about sanchez*** ... but didn't see a reason why cavanaugh should as well) ...

at camp did cavanaugh do anything special with sanchez, tebow, mcelroy, simms?

it seems funny to me that so many other of our coaches are getting props right now (deservedly so) ... but cavanaugh is not (and he apparently had something that rex & mikey t liked in order to keep him)

thx,

i did look online for more info on him to see if any answer was there ... below is what i was able to find on him ... none of it seems to merit keeping him

- he was OC in baltimore when rex was a defensive coach, so there is definitely a comfort level ... but his qb's results definitely leave something to be desired (albeit most of these guys s*ck anyway)

- as a player in college with the pitt panthers (& tony dorsett) won national championship/sugar bowl mvp in '76 & gatorbowl mvp in'77 throwing 4 td's

- strictly backup in the pro's as a qb

- bears OC 97-98
    erik kramer 74% qb rating

-ravens OC 99-04
    99 tony banks 81%
    00 banks 60% dilfer 77%
    01 elvis grbac 71%
    02 jeff blake 77%
    03 kyle boller 62%
    04 kyle boller 71%

-pitt panthers OC 05-08

-jets OC 09-present

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the same reason Eric Smith is still here: He's one of Rex's boys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think they wanted 1 or 2 guys to be the qb coach, but couldn't get either, so they stuck with him. sadly. i'd rather have "never been a qb coach" pennington as qb coach over this guy. he's awful. brunell was more of a qb coach last couple years than cavy ever was.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    i think they wanted 1 or 2 guys to be the qb coach, but couldn't get either, so they stuck with him. sadly. i'd rather have "never been a qb coach" pennington as qb coach over this guy. he's awful. brunell was more of a qb coach last couple years than cavy ever was.
    Totally agree. He's just so brutal. But typical Jets, they toss the massive ball&chain that goes by the name Nepotism Shottenheimef Jr. to the side of the road but keep this f**kin slug on board, why?why?why?

I don't think Sanchez will ever reach his maximum potential because of those two pos. They run an offense like Sanchez is Tom Brady back there, straight drop backs...but with no protection haha.

I just hope he hasn't been ruined already. His footwork even s**ked at the end of his 3rd season. His footwork was beautiful coming out of SC. That's the easiest indictment, the strongest piece of evidence of how atrocious Shottenheimer/Cavanaugh was/is....they even managed to f**k up his footwork.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, ESPN today at camp, live and earlier showing coach Cav working with Tebow and Sanchez during and after practice. Then had Jaws breakdown and explain what he was teaching.

Funny how clueless fans are when they start with a premise and work backwards off of it. They see what they want or don't want to see.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Funny, ESPN today at camp, live and earlier showing coach Cav working with Tebow and Sanchez during and after practice. Then had Jaws breakdown and explain what he was teaching.

Funny how clueless fans are when they start with a premise and work backwards off of it. They see what they want or don't want to see.

I would venture a guess that 95% of fans have no clue what a QB coach does or what his influence is on the team. They simply see a QB making mistakes and assume the QB coach totally sucks at his job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

How did Jaws know what he was teaching? How did he specifically break it down?

I heard Jaws give HIS opinions on Tebow but I did not hear him explain what Cavanaugh was teaching.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The list of people he's worked with is not a great one. Kramer had a few good years with Chicago and Detroit but was breaking down physically by '97 and '98. Grbac was good for a year in Kansas City but was always an inconsistent player otherwise. If you want to blame Grbac for the struggles of those players, I suppose you can. However, they didn't do much better working with anyone else.

Sanchez will either make it as an NFL Quarterback or he won't. We don't know at this point. If he doesn't, I don't see how Matt Cavanaugh is going to be the reason.

FYI, Jaws and Cavanaugh were teammates in Philly.
    Last edited by OlTimeGiantFanFromLongAgo; 08-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTimeGiantFanFromLongAgo View Post
    The list of people he's worked with is not a great one. Kramer had a few good years with Chicago and Detroit but was breaking down physically by '97 and '98. Grbac was good for a year in Kansas City but was always an inconsistent player otherwise. If you want to blame Grbac for the struggles of those players, I suppose you can. However, they didn't do much better working with anyone else.

Sanchez will either make it as an NFL Quarterback or he won't. We don't know at this point. If he doesn't, I don't see how Matt Cavanaugh is going to be the reason.

FYI, Jaws and Cavanaugh were teammates in Philly.
    Or maybe the other people would have been better (including Sanchez) if they had a quality QB coach.

To say coaching doesn't matter is simply wrong. Coaching is a major part of any player in any positions development.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Or maybe the other people would have been better (including Sanchez) if they had a quality QB coach.

To say coaching doesn't matter is simply wrong. Coaching is a major part of any player in any positions development.
    Well of those QBs listed, aside from two, they weren't considered particularly talented coming out of college. Boller and Dilfer were the only first-round picks. Jim Fassel and Mike Holmgren are both pretty well-regarded when it comes to working with Quarterbacks and they fared no better when they worked with Boller and Dilfer. In fact, Dilfer won a Super Bowl working with Cavanaugh.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... thx 4 the replies & info ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    erik kramer 74% qb rating

-ravens OC 99-04
    99 tony banks 81%
    00 banks 60% dilfer 77%
    01 elvis grbac 71%
    02 jeff blake 77%
    03 kyle boller 62%
    04 kyle boller 71%
    ----------------

What does the fact that he coached 7 crappy QBs have to do with anything? That is like saying the guy who lucked into coaching Brady, Brees or Manning should get all the credit. The bottom line is that all those QBs he worked with stunk.

Kramer only had one year in his career that he started a full season - that was his career year in 1995.

Tony Banks' career year was in 1999.

Dilfer QB'd the Ravens to a Super Bowl in 2000.

Elvis left the building in 2001.

Jeff Blake was at the tale end of his career in 2002 and his performance then matched his career QBR.

Boller was a 1-year wonder in college who never progressed after the 2003 and 2004 and basically is a bust.

Those QBs are hardly anything to brag about and their lack of development can be attributed more to a lack of talent/work ethic than anything Cavanaugh did or didn't do.