Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Day 6 Camp Updates

Jets Insider VIP
    Tebow is an absolute beast. How you could not want this guy on your team is beyond me. He is a great football player. Cant wait to see how we use him once the real bullets start flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tebow is an absolute beast. How you could not want this guy on your team is beyond me. He is a great football player. Cant wait to see how we use him once the real bullets start flying.
    Gholston was a beast.

Pennington had heart.

Gholstington?

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Bart Scott said it best. As a defense, you plan for 10 players. When you put in Tebow at QB, you now have to plan for 11. Yet, you can't crowd the line, cause he can beat you deep. And you can't just cover the wings, cause he's big enough to run b/t the tackles. Basically, this screws up a defensive plan, and evens the game to 11 on 11.

Now, i don't think this is a major part of the offense. But i do think this will be used in 2 ways:

1. Change up - if the offense is going 3 & out, this can give them a diff look for a play or two, to manufacture some yards.

2. RedZone - I don't think this will be a big part of their RZ pkg, but it will be there. Again, if the defense has our O's #, this is like throwing a change-up.
    Good points along with the OP.

Why is this not a good thing. If it gives the Jets a comprehensive attack. Sprinkling in a few Tebow plays judiciously should give D coordinators fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Maybin's going to have a big year I think, excited to see what he can do now that he knows the defense and will be getting more snaps. Him and Wilkerson next to each other should be dangerous.
    He's going against Hunter, Vlad and company. C'mon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    In the little I saw, Wilkerson blew into the backfield twice on the goal drill to stop the play for a loss or no gain. Guy is going to be a monster.
    do you know who Wilkerson was going up against?

All League
    Quite easy to see why one wouldn't want him but I digress.

Easy on the "great football player".. He runs with the football really well though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If they plan on using him as a fullback/Hback/halfback/ they better be working on his ball security.

I don't get this wildcat at all, the first couple of years it worked then coaches learned how to defend it. Now it is pretty much been relegated to the back shelf in play books. I do think a Tebow led offense is going to be effective in short yardage as there is one more player to defend against.

Last year Rex even called it a gimmick that time had passed. I think all the talk about wildcat is just so that opposing defenses have to put time in preparing for it, which takes away time to prepare for other plays. Rex will run it a couple of times, so to make it a valid concern for the defense, but you seem to think that it is going to be a big part of the offensive philosophy.
    I couldn't care less what you say. Go bash the Jets elsewhere.

Unlike Denver, the Jets offensive line has had years of experience running a wildcat formation (Brad Smith). With the Broncos? They were attempting to learn on the fly. Not the case here with NY, now is it? And unlike Denver's offensive coordinator, we have an offensive coordinator in coach Sparano who has dominated opposing defenses with the Wildcat formation. Unlike Ronnie Brown, coach Sparano (when running a wildcat formation) has NEVER had a weapon such as Tim Tebow, who's A.) Built like a mack-truck and B.) Is a threat to attack the field with a vertical passing attack. Ronnie Brown has a total of 4 career pass completions. Tim Tebow? 167 completions. He adds another element for Sparano to work with, an element that he's never featured before; until now that is. The ability to keep opposing D's honest with the threat of a pass.

Tebow rushing behind one of the greatest Centers around in Nick Mangold? Forget about it. Tebow has rushed the football for 887 yards off an average of 5.3 yards per carry to go along with 12 rushing TD's over the past two years. Tim Tebow, behind an experienced offensive line (in regards to a Wildcat package), as the Center-Piece of a coach Sparano led Wildcat formation? It's going to be fun to watch. Tebow is on the verge of becoming an absolute force to be reckoned with down inside the redzone.

Only a troll, such as yourself, would sit here and state otherwise.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 08-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    i wouldn't be surprised if buffalo gives vince young a wildcat package to play in week 1.
    good call, he had completely slipped my mind. He's got the size.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Good points along with the OP.

Why is this not a good thing. If it gives the Jets a comprehensive attack. Sprinkling in a few Tebow plays judiciously should give D coordinators fits.
    It gets even better. Think about substitution packages. It's 3rd and 5. Opposing D Coordinator sees Sanchez on the field, and Tebow being sent in along with a couple of receivers. What does the Defense do ? Sub in a nickel/dime package with DBs to defend the pass ? Go with LBs to defend the run ? That decision is forced without us even having to think about whom will be at QB and what play will be run.

Heck, we could switch in mid play. Sanchez lines up in the shotgun with Tebow as the RB. They shift, Tebow steps into the shotgun and Sanchez spreads out wide. Or perhaps the formation starts that way, with Tebow in the gun and Sanchez out wide, Sanchez then shifts to the shotgun and Tebow moves to RB.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

Unlike Denver, the Jets offensive line has had years of experience running a wildcat formation (Brad Smith). With the Broncos? They were attempting to learn on the fly. Not the case here with NY, now is it? And unlike Denver's offensive coordinator, we have an offensive coordinator in coach Sparano who has dominated opposing defenses with the Wildcat formation. Unlike Ronnie Brown, coach Sparano (when running a wildcat formation) has NEVER had a weapon such as Tim Tebow, who's A.) Built like a mack-truck and B.) Is a threat to attack the field with a vertical passing attack. Ronnie Brown has a total of 4 career pass completions. Tim Tebow? 167 completions. He adds another element for Sparano to work with, an element that he's never featured before; until now that is. The ability to keep opposing D's honest with the threat of a pass.

Tebow rushing behind one of the greatest Centers around in Nick Mangold? Forget about it. Tebow has rushed the football for 887 yards off an average of 5.3 yards per carry to go along with 12 rushing TD's over the past two years. Tim Tebow, behind an experienced offensive line (in regards to a Wildcat package), as the Center-Piece of a coach Sparano led Wildcat formation? It's going to be fun to watch. Tebow is on the verge of becoming an absolute force to be reckoned with down inside the redzone.

Where and when did I bash the jets? Tebow is a qb that can run the ball, i get it. What makes it so hard to defend.

Denver's has a very good run blocking oline, and they always have. To make Tebow effective they pretty much scrapped their offensive game and went to an option attack. They never ran the wildcat last year so I don't know what you are referring to.

Do I think the jets have a weapon in Tebow in short yardage situations yes. And I think they will use it effectively but when they do pass out of it I think they will be less effective passing than with Sanchez who I believe is a better passer. Another concern I have in short yardages is the different cadences and inflections between the 2 qbs, I can see an olinman jumping changing a 3rd and 3 to a 3rd and 8, does Sanchez then come back now that it is an obvious passing down?

As far as the wildcat goes, how is it going to run? Is Sanchez going to be the qb and slide to the slot as with Brad Smith when Tebow trots on, . If He comes out as part of a sub package the defense is going to sub right along. And then they will play the option defense that was played against Tebow last year. If Sanchez plays the slot you lose a receiver and a blocker in the run game.

So your going to have the oline learn to block the same play two different ways depending in who is qb.

Your talking about how great Saprano was in developing the wildcat,(kidos to him) but you make no mention that he has no history with the option.

I question the jets moves, I don't bash them regularly. I have been on this site for ten years and never once was even threatened with a ban.

Which one of the questions I ask or statements I made is a bash on the jets?

What are you pissed that you said that couples was going to star on the goal line defense, and I questioned you on it?
    Last edited by patman; 08-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    do you know who Wilkerson was going up against?
    Think it was a combo of Slauson/Brick and Slauson/Mangold

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    i wouldn't be surprised if buffalo gives vince young a wildcat package to play in week 1.
    The Bills will run the wildcat and probably much more effective than the Jets. First of all the "godfather" of the wildcat is David Lee. he was the man who came up with the idea in Miami,and developed the plays. Vince Young can run it as well as Tebow as is a much better passer. In Miami last year without David Lee the fins hardly ever used the wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

Sparano never lead the wildcat in Miami, it was David Lee,the new QB coach in Buffalo. After David Lee left Miami in 2010,in 2011 the fins hardly ever ran the wildcat.
    To think about a tough offense to defend the bills could use both Brad Smith and Vince Young in the wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Sparano never lead the wildcat in Miami, it was David Lee,the new QB coach in Buffalo. After David Lee left Miami in 2010,in 2011 the fins hardly ever ran the wildcat.
    To think about a tough offense to defend the bills could use both Brad Smith and Vince Young in the wildcat

I am coming to the conclusion that NY2FLDWC85 justs posts crap and then runs away and does not defend his statements.

Hall Of Fame
    I am coming to the conclusion that NY2FLDWC85 justs posts crap and then runs away and does not defend his statements.
    You threw him off by saying the Broncos did not run the Wildcat.....LOL.

Kind of blew a hole in his argument.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Gholston was a beast.

Pennington had heart.

Gholstington?
    Gholston and Pennington are real close comparisons to Tebow.

And you're a troll homer whose MO seems to be spewing negative drivel with every Jets topic on the board.

Jets Insider VIP
    I do want him on my team. I just don't want him starting at quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If only more Jets fans could get this through their head . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Exactly