Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 6 Camp Updates

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Holmes, Schilens, Landry in the injury/rehab group.
    Schillens and Landry in the rehab group?? Shocking.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those interested in the Day 6 Camp Updates

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Jordan White, wearing the red no-contact pinnie, is working with punt returners
    It would be nice for someone like White to step up into the main Punt returner role. I'm not comfortable with McKnight, Cro, or Wilson doing it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Defenses figured it out, partly because the runner very rarely threw the ball.

With Tebow, I think he might throw it 25-30% (or more?) of these "Gator" plays which you would think keeps the defense honest and not completely sold out on the run.

As I'm sure you know, the difference between no gain and a 5 yard gain is sometimes just a step or two to break contain. The fear of a pass may just provide that step.

Also, forcing defenses to prepare for this shouldn't be thought of as minor. The Jets are expanding the number of plays opposing coaches and players have to study, and that definitely takes a toll.
    Right they will play it straight as if Vick/Newton is the qb. If you run it 3 or 4 times a game by the 4th game the defense has a good feel for the triggers.

I don't think of the prep time as minor, but it is not like the defenses are not already in the book, 3 and 4 years ago there were no defenses in the book. That took all the prep time. Now Sanchez moves to the wing, the MLB changes the defense. When Tebow trots on the field as a rb the team has 15 seconds to get prepared for the play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    It would be nice for someone like White to step up into the main Punt returner role. I'm not comfortable with McKnight, Cro, or Wilson doing it.
    I'd love if McKnight would win the job. He's perfect for it, provided he doesn't make any mental errors like he has in the past.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Right they will play it straight as if Vick/Newton is the qb. If you run it 3 or 4 times a game by the 4th game the defense has a good feel for the triggers.

I don't think of the prep time as minor, but it is not like the defenses are not already in the book, 3 and 4 years ago there were no defenses in the book. That took all the prep time. Now Sanchez moves to the wing, the MLB changes the defense. When Tebow trots on the field as a rb the team has 15 seconds to get prepared for the play.
    Alright.

You win.

It won't work.

They shouldn't even bother playing the games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Bart Scott said it best. As a defense, you plan for 10 players. When you put in Tebow at QB, you now have to plan for 11. Yet, you can't crowd the line, cause he can beat you deep. And you can't just cover the wings, cause he's big enough to run b/t the tackles. Basically, this screws up a defensive plan, and evens the game to 11 on 11.

Now, i don't think this is a major part of the offense. But i do think this will be used in 2 ways:

1. Change up - if the offense is going 3 & out, this can give them a diff look for a play or two, to manufacture some yards.

2. RedZone - I don't think this will be a big part of their RZ pkg, but it will be there. Again, if the defense has our O's #, this is like throwing a change-up.
    My personal feeling on using tebow is in 2 ways....occasionally use him as Qb with sanchez out of the game to run the zone read plays and kill clock.

The main way though, would be to have tebow and sanchez out there at the same time, which gives you 2 options:

1. Tebow under center and sanchez split wide...traditional wildcat/zone read formation.

2. Sanchez under center, 1 RB, Keller, Holmes, and Hill. If you put tebow in the slot 1 of 2 things will have to happen. Either a LB splits out on him which opens up a running lane or a safety comes up, which gives either hill or holmes single coverage. That is a HUGE advantage for the offense as it is not a traditional 3 Wide set, but more importantly the defense will have to choose a personnel group. If they stay with 3 or 4 lbs and 4 DBs, we can split tebow out and have an advantage throwing the ball as they can only double 1 WR or have keller vs a LB. If they go nickel, we stay in the same package and run the ball down their throat with zone reads and power runs out of the 1 back I.

Personally thats a package id use 3 or so drives per game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell was limping off after making a nice catch over a LB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Bilal Powell just injured himself. Doesn't look good.

The #Jets are working out former Merrimack OLB Tony Johnson.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

who said Sanchez has to move to the wing? what do you do if Sanchez is in shotgun with tebow next to him like a double QB wishbone. I don't see the jets going conventional wildcat with this. Also don't forget Mark has some of the better hand on the team if he doesnt get the ball on the snap he can catch (maybe he should be the number two instead of cro )

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell back doing drills. my boy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bilal Powell just injured himself. Doesn't look good.

The #Jets are working out former Merrimack OLB Tony Johnson.
    UGHHHHH

That blows... he was like one of three offensive players that we consistently heard positive things about.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...ESPN coverage is a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of our LBs get their head around to find the football in pass defense. Scott has gotten beat twice b.c he doesn't look for the ball. Good tight coverage but he never finds the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bilal Powell back in there. Looks fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bilal Powell back in there. Looks fine.
    Watching on TV and I laughed at Steiny31's tweet. He got dinged up but nothing terrible at all. That is the danger of depending on twitter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deb ‏@LilMissNYJet
    LaRon Landry just sprinted 50 yards down the sidelines full speed without pads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they plan on using him as a fullback/Hback/halfback/ they better be working on his ball security.

I don't get this wildcat at all, the first couple of years it worked then coaches learned how to defend it. Now it is pretty much been relegated to the back shelf in play books. I do think a Tebow led offense is going to be effective in short yardage as there is one more player to defend against.
    It works when you have an explosive runner, since it's a numbers advantage to the offense. (See Jets yardage with Brad Smith). It also works when your runner is somewhat of a threat to throw the ball, since CBs and safeties can't just abandon coverage responsibilities to come stop the run.

Last year Rex even called it a gimmick that time had passed. I think all the talk about wildcat is just so that opposing defenses have to put time in preparing for it, which takes away time to prepare for other plays. Rex will run it a couple of times, so to make it a valid concern for the defense, but you seem to think that it is going to be a big part of the offensive philosophy.
    I think you'll see it 3 or 4 times a game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deb ‏@LilMissNYJet
    Sanchez to Baker broken up by Allen

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Austin Howard and Damon Harrison get into a good fight. Maybin jumps on the pile.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Kerley the punt returner this year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Watching on TV and I laughed at Steiny31's tweet. He got dinged up but nothing terrible at all. That is the danger of depending on twitter.
    Tell me about it.

Dumbass Steiny, wtf