Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 6 Camp Updates

All League

Day 6 Camp Updates

Yay, more talk about the bum backup QB/punt protector/pseudo FB..since he's the only Jet employed and all

More importantly, we're in August now.. Football is almost here!

Banned
    I believe today is the day where we line up in goal line situations. This is where our first rounder in Quinton Coples can really make a name for himself/impact.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I believe today is the day where we line up in goal line situations. This is where our first rounder in Quinton Coples can really make a name for himself/impact.
    Really? I love the Couples pick, but is his strength really goal line, run stuffing? He is a little undersized for that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Yay, more talk about the bum backup QB/punt protector/pseudo FB..since he's the only Jet employed and all

More importantly, we're in August now.. Football is almost here!
    Also, why create this thread on such a negative note? Tebow isn't here to be our "backup QB and/or punt protector". Only simple minded fans look at this situation with those types of ways/views. Do you really think our front office traded for a "punt protector"? No.

Tim Tebow will be used as the football player that he truly is. He'll be used as our Center-Piece to a coach Sparano led Wildcat (Gator) Formation. Anyone who knows anything about coach Sparano, understands how much he loves to bring out the Wildcat formation. With Tebow rushing behind Nick Mangold? Forget about it. He'll be used all over the offensive side of the football field. He'll be featured as the center piece to a Sparano led Wildcat formation, our coaching staff will feature Tebow as both a HB and FB during down and short and/or goal-line situations (kid is built like a Mack-Truck), has the ability/potential to become a red zone force to be reckoned with and last but most certainly not least, he'll be used in order to keep opposing defenses off balance during weekly preparation; which in return will give Mark Sanchez and our offense an added advantage from week to week.

Yeah, ESPN and the media have been intrigued by Tim Tebow, but that doesn't give this fan base the right to crap all over Tim Tebow. I'm a big time Sanchez supporter as our franchise quarterback moving forward, but that doesn't change the fact that I understand what Tebow brings to our offense and/or team. You couldn't ask for a better backup quarterback. What do you ask out of your backup quarterback? The ability to compete. Tebow can not only compete, but he can (help) win ball games. For the first time in a long time, we have a backup quarterback (football player) in whom can compete on an NFL level.

While some of you clueless fans continue to harp all over Tebow, I'll continue staying thankful that we actually have a backup that can contribute on the football field, unlike Kellen Clemens and Mark Brunell of years past...
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 08-02-2012 at 07:35 AM.

All League
    Also, why create this thread on such a negative note? Tebow isn't here to be our "backup QB and/or punt protector". Only simple minded fans look at this situation with those types of ways/views. Do you really think our front office traded for a "punt protector"? No.

Tim Tebow will be used as the football player that he truly is. He'll be used as our Center-Piece to a coach Sparano led Wildcat (Gator) Formation. He'll be used all over the offensive side of the football field. He'll be featured as the center piece to a Sparano led Wildcat formation, our coaching staff will feature Tebow both a HB and FB during down and short and/or goal-line situations (kid is built like a Mack-Truck), has the ability/potential to become a red zone force to be reckoned with and last but most certainly not least, he'll be used in order to keep opposing defenses off balance during weekly preparation; which in return will give Mark Sanchez and our offense an added advantage from week to week.

Yeah, ESPN and the media have been intrigued by Tim Tebow, but that doesn't give this fan base the right to crap all over Tim Tebow. I'm a big time Sanchez supporter as our franchise quarterback moving forward, but that doesn't change the fact that I understand what Tebow brings to our offense and/or team. You couldn't ask for a better backup quarterback. What do you ask out of your quarterback? The ability to compete. Tebow can not only compete, but he can (help) win ball games. For the first time in a long time, we have a backup quarterback (football player) in whom can compete on an NFL level.

While some of you clueless fans continue to harp all over Tebow, I'll continue staying thankful that we actually have a backup that can contribute on the football field, unlike Kellen Clemens and Mark Brunell of years past...
    I know what Tebow is here for.. and first and foremost, it is press clippings/business. But so long as he isn't playing QB for us, I don't care what he does.

It was a simple dig at the overwhelming coverage for a bad QB is all. Your soliloquy was unneeded. You don't HAVE to type a book in response to EVERYTHING.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Jets working out a handful of players on another field. Looks like receivers and DBs

Jane McManus ‏@janesports
    Jets coaches working out three potential receivers on turf field. Could sign a few today.
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-02-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Tim Tebow will be used as the football player that he truly is. He'll be used as our Center-Piece to a coach Sparano led Wildcat (Gator) Formation. Anyone who knows anything about coach Sparano, understands how much he loves to bring out the Wildcat formation. With Tebow rushing behind Nick Mangold? Forget about it. He'll be used all over the offensive side of the football field. He'll be featured as the center piece to a Sparano led Wildcat formation, our coaching staff will feature Tebow as both a HB and FB during down and short and/or goal-line situations (kid is built like a Mack-Truck), has the ability/potential to become a red zone force to be reckoned with and last but most certainly not least, he'll be used in order to keep opposing defenses off balance during weekly preparation; which in return will give Mark Sanchez and our offense an added advantage from week to week.

Yeah, ESPN and the media have been intrigued by Tim Tebow, but that doesn't give this fan base the right to crap all over Tim Tebow. I'm a big time Sanchez supporter as our franchise quarterback moving forward, but that doesn't change the fact that I understand what Tebow brings to our offense and/or team. You couldn't ask for a better backup quarterback. What do you ask out of your backup quarterback? The ability to compete. Tebow can not only compete, but he can (help) win ball games. For the first time in a long time, we have a backup quarterback (football player) in whom can compete on an NFL level.

Yeah...What He Said!!!

Dude you are spot on. Sanchez has had no one to push for his spot. I want every Jet to be a stud, this only makes the team better. Most people who have an issue with his beliefs and want an individual like Tebow to fail. They just want the chance to say where is your GOD now. Even if you don't believe in anything, we are all given talent, most believe it's a GOD given talent. Tebow has made the most of his talent winning at every level in his field. Tebow has the balls to be proud of what he is and believes in, as we all should. This is getting old. He's a Jet and because of that he's one of the good guys, a JET.

Ducasse, who left practice yesterday when a teammate fell on his leg, is dressed for practice today.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Actually, I see Po'uha, but he's not in pads. Won't practice. #Jets conducting WR tryout on opposite field as we speak. Will sign a couple.

Landry also not in pads today. Ditto for Kerley, S. McKnight, who are in that soft-tissue group. Holmes in pads though.

Hall Of Fame
    Ducasse, who left practice yesterday when a teammate fell on his leg, is dressed for practice today

Joe McKnight, he of the food poisoning, is also out here in pads

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    LaRon Landry not wearing pads. Still on a pitch count

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    G Brandon Moore planning to go to Canton for Curtis Martin induction. Member of '04 OL that paved way to rush title. Classy move, BM.

Deb ‏@LilMissNYJet
    No Dowtin, but glad to at least see Fletcher & Steed in full-pads today.

Hall Of Fame
    ESPN broadcasting live again today. If you are near a TV you can watch some live coverage, although they really ONLY show Tebow if there are multiple drills going on.

If they plan on using him as a fullback/Hback/halfback/ they better be working on his ball security.

I don't get this wildcat at all, the first couple of years it worked then coaches learned how to defend it. Now it is pretty much been relegated to the back shelf in play books. I do think a Tebow led offense is going to be effective in short yardage as there is one more player to defend against.

Last year Rex even called it a gimmick that time had passed. I think all the talk about wildcat is just so that opposing defenses have to put time in preparing for it, which takes away time to prepare for other plays. Rex will run it a couple of times, so to make it a valid concern for the defense, but you seem to think that it is going to be a big part of the offensive philosophy.

What is valued in a back up qb is the ability to step in and run the same offense as the starter with as little negative impact as possible. If Sanchez goes down you don't want to change the offensive philosophy of the team, which is what Denver did last year

Some fans think that Sanchez needed the comp to push him, but in 99% of the cases the drive to succeed that allows a player to become a nfl qb negates the competitive aspect of sport.
    Last edited by patman; 08-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If they plan on using him as a fullback/Hback/halfback/ they better be working on his ball security.

I don't get this wildcat at all, the first couple of years it worked then coaches learned how to defend it. Now it is pretty much been relegated to the back shelf in play books. I do think a Tebow led offense is going to be effective in short yardage as there is one more player to defend against.

Last year Rex even called it a gimmick that time had passed. I think all the talk about wildcat is just so that opposing defenses have to put time in preparing for it, which takes away time to prepare for other plays. Rex will run it a couple of times, so to make it a valid concern for the defense, but you seem to think that it is going to be a big part of the offensive philosophy.
    Defenses figured it out, partly because the runner very rarely threw the ball.

With Tebow, I think he might throw it 25-30% (or more?) of these "Gator" plays which you would think keeps the defense honest and not completely sold out on the run.

As I'm sure you know, the difference between no gain and a 5 yard gain is sometimes just a step or two to break contain. The fear of a pass may just provide that step.

Also, forcing defenses to prepare for this shouldn't be thought of as minor. The Jets are expanding the number of plays opposing coaches and players have to study, and that definitely takes a toll.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Holmes, Schilens, Landry in the injury/rehab group.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Bart Scott said it best. As a defense, you plan for 10 players. When you put in Tebow at QB, you now have to plan for 11. Yet, you can't crowd the line, cause he can beat you deep. And you can't just cover the wings, cause he's big enough to run b/t the tackles. Basically, this screws up a defensive plan, and evens the game to 11 on 11.

Now, i don't think this is a major part of the offense. But i do think this will be used in 2 ways:

1. Change up - if the offense is going 3 & out, this can give them a diff look for a play or two, to manufacture some yards.

2. RedZone - I don't think this will be a big part of their RZ pkg, but it will be there. Again, if the defense has our O's #, this is like throwing a change-up.

For those interested in the Day 6 Camp Updates

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    The #Jets have 86 players on the roster, room for 4 more. They are worked some wide receivers out today. Will likely sign a few. #nyj

Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    Thurs rehab group not in uniform; Kerley and Dowtin. In unis; Schilens, White, Riley, S. McKnight, Griffin, Jackson, Landry, Pouha,

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Bart Scott said it best. As a defense, you plan for 10 players. When you put in Tebow at QB, you now have to plan for 11. Yet, you can't crowd the line, cause he can beat you deep. And you can't just cover the wings, cause he's big enough to run b/t the tackles. Basically, this screws up a defensive plan, and evens the game to 11 on 11.

Now, i don't think this is a major part of the offense. But i do think this will be used in 2 ways:

1. Change up - if the offense is going 3 & out, this can give them a diff look for a play or two, to manufacture some yards.

2. RedZone - I don't think this will be a big part of their RZ pkg, but it will be there. Again, if the defense has our O's #, this is like throwing a change-up.
    Tebow said it the other day that his main role was '4th down quarterback.' Just being on the field with the punt team forces the receiving team into a compromised position. And if the distance to go and area of the field are right, expect a fake. Not many backup TEs, LBs and DBs are going to be able to stop him on 4th and 2.

For those interested in the Day 6 Camp Updates

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Jordan White, wearing the red no-contact pinnie, is working with punt returners

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Defenses figured it out, partly because the runner very rarely threw the ball.

With Tebow, I think he might throw it 25-30% (or more?) of these "Gator" plays which you would think keeps the defense honest and not completely sold out on the run.

As I'm sure you know, the difference between no gain and a 5 yard gain is sometimes just a step or two to break contain. The fear of a pass may just provide that step.

Also, forcing defenses to prepare for this shouldn't be thought of as minor. The Jets are expanding the number of plays opposing coaches and players have to study, and that definitely takes a toll.
    No, I'm afraid patman doesn't know. The fear of a pass is a big factor. He will know though when the games begin, that this Wildcat version will not be a gimmick.