Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Jets Front Office Dropped The Ball On Braylon Edwards Again

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I know it's easier to rant than actually have a dialogue, but I never talked about Schillens "great upside" -- I simply said he and BE are pretty much in the same situation - good physical tools but injury-plagued to the point no one knows what they can expect from them.

There has to be a reason it took Braylon so long to get a job TWO YEARS IN A ROW. There also has to be a reason why our new WR coach brought Schillens with him (notice how we haven't heard a peep about bringing Carey from Miami).

That doesn't make him our next Keyshawn. But anybody acting like we "missed the ball" with Braylon is living off the same blind faith others have that Schillens could be a productive player for us this year . . .
    I dont think we missed the ball on Braylon tbh....would I have liked to have seen him back if he were healthy? Yeah definitely...because Mark seemed to like throwing to him.

But pointing at Chaz Schillens height and speed like some were doing in this thread...I mean cmon.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Yes, this subject has admittedly been beaten to death, but I was also bothered by that report that the Jets had Braylon on the radar and failed to act.

Maybe the report is false. I hope it was, because otherwise this thread is dead-on. If Braylon was on the radar, he should have been brought in unless he was asking for 3/4 mil. Period. Dismissing Braylon when there's only one veteran receiver on the team was gross negligence, if the team had interest.

The Schilens praise at this stage is laughable, and this is the perfect comparison.

Matthew Hatchette, Curtis Conway, and Justin McCareins were all players we thought would be "that guy" for the team, and Schilens has less of a pedigree at this stage of his career than any of them. A healthy Braylon is a proven performer in this style of offense and wouldn't have had to start if Hill came on strong.

I just can't understand why the team would let a veteran receiver who has familiarity with the QB and the style of offense they want to run get snatched up when he could have been had for a painless 1-year deal. On a team with little veteran presence at WR, it just seemed like a no-brainer.
    Will you at least acknowledge 30 other teams also thought they didn't need a "proven peformer" for TWO STRAIGHT YEARS?

I agree it doesn't seem right on paper, and I would've loved to have the guy back. But it seems a little inconsistent to rip on the Jets when 30 other teams made the same evaluation on him . . .

Rookie
    I think it's unfair to say the front office dropped the ball on not signing Braylon for a second time. Not a single person here has any knowledge of any of the negotiating that went on, other than what the fabulous and all knowing NY media hacks/storytellers have reported.

Tanny could have very easily have called Braylon and said we'd like to bring you back. Maybe Braylon wanted a guaranteed starting spot and Tanny couldn't offer that. This is just one of the many possible scenarios that potentially could have played out.

I'm just sick of everyone piling on the front office in a situation like this because not a single person knows the conversations that go one behind the scenes and not a single person knows the actual reason why he is not a Jet again.

All that said, I loved BE as a Jet. I thought he played 100% all the time and brought a swagger and toughness to our WRs. But now we have Stephen Hill, who possesses many of those same attributes that Edwards did, with none of the off-field problems.

All Pro
    Look this Braylon lovefest has to end. He's a Seattle Seahawk now

I would have loved to bring back Braylon on the cheap, but he aint coming back!!!!!!

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    I dont think we missed the ball on Braylon tbh....would I have liked to have seen him back if he were healthy? Yeah definitely...because Mark seemed to like throwing to him.

But pointing at Chaz Schillens height and speed like some were doing in this thread...I mean cmon.
    Fair enough -- I definitely consider anything we get from Schillens to be bonus.

My argument is more on the "dropped the ball" comment. I've been a fan long enough to know we're actually enjoying a pretty good run now, and to bash the FO for not signing a guy no one else wanted either just seems very SOJF . . .

what upside does Chaz Schillens provide? Again, Chaz Schillens....who basically the entire league would say to themselves..."WHO?"
    And on what basis do you know that the entire league doesn't know who Schilens is?

How would Braylon's 15 catches in 2011 made the difference for us?
    You are assuming that he would have gotten hurt if he signed with the Jets and didn't play for the Niners. He wouldn't have had 15 catches for us. Go to his 2010 numbers and apply them to 2011. Did anyone on the Jets roster get close to those numbers in 2011.

The argument made by some that we dropped the ball with Edwards because he is a physical receiver with size was the reason in mentioning Schilens and his attributes. The team basically signed Schilens instead of Edwards, they both provide similar abilities and skillsets, Edwards obviously being more a known commodity, but Schilens has this same potential and does have some experience. I was quite clear about why the team may have elected to go with Schilens. It also should be noted that the Jets new WR coach, Sanjay Lal was also reportedly a big supporter of the move and probably made the recommendation as he was his coach in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Has Chaz ever made it through a season with out missing significant time? I have no problem with bringing him in, but I think they could use another veteran WR. Once Chaz goes down again, it will leave this WR group pretty thin. Not exactly a confidence inspiring group.
    Once Chaz goes down again?

And consider Edwards' history in the last year with injuries, wouldn't the team be taking on the same risk? Same with Leonard who everybody wanted to bring back, despite his second knee injury.

This sort of argument can be made with any player, we can't expect the team to sign veteran players at every position just for insurance purposes, there are only 53 roster positions.

With Chaz, the WR depth looks 6 deep, with Holmes, Schilens, Hill, Kerley, Turner, and White, who all could make the team. Where does this "other" veteran player fit in?

Anyone can do what BE did here he was horrid. Schilens I'm sure could dog out plays every game too if given the chance. BE was nothing special average at best so just stop with this nonsense. Drop the ball maybe but not on that. Failing to draft of bring in someone viable maybe. Plax was not a viable WR being away from the game and age. But we didn't miss a thing last year at WR despite that. I'm glad they finally made the right moves to get better at that position. What we had wasn't getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Braylon or not, this team needs another veteran WR. Having to rely on a rookie and Chaz Schillens is a lot to ask for. This WR is very thin, and if even one of them misses time its downright scary.
    Again, the JETS FO has done very little to support the growth of Mark Sanchez over his very young career. It is so disheartening to witness this being a long time fan. Defensive minded HC who predicted multiple SBs for a QB that had never thrown a pass in the NFL and played one full college season at USC, QB coach that came from an organization that never developed a QB, no high draft pick at Wr until Hill to develop with, revolving door at Wr, no threat Mark Brunell and Kellen Clemens at back up, and then the opposite extreme of the most controversial back up in Tebow has all been HUGE obstacles for Sanchez in his development.

Will you at least acknowledge 30 other teams also thought they didn't need a "proven peformer" for TWO STRAIGHT YEARS?

I agree it doesn't seem right on paper, and I would've loved to have the guy back. But it seems a little inconsistent to rip on the Jets when 30 other teams made the same evaluation on him . . .
    I realize he's not what he was in the 3/4 years ago, but you can't use the 30 other teams argument. How many other teams in the league have just one wide receiver on the roster with more than 70 catches in his NFL career? How many teams are geared toward a run-first offense with need of a physical, blocking receiver? How many teams are starting a QB from whom Braylon caught passes for two straight years?

Braylon doesn't make nearly as much sense on the Pats, Packers, Cowboys or Cardinals rosters as he does here.

And I don't think he was a make-or-break acquisition by any means. I'm just not one of those people that thinks the Jets have the necessary talent at receiver to challenge defenses this year. I'm not crying because the team didn't bring him back. But the squad needs a veteran receiver and there was one out there that fit the bill for a #3/#4 on THIS team. I feel the FO fell asleep.

we had every chance to sign him
    FO CHOSED NOT to bring him back

wasnt like other teams were knocking his door down
    time to put this to bed

Did someone say drop the ball?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Because our O really lit it up with this old, slow, often-injured, locker room cancer. Tanny did right here.

Braylon can't play RT can he?

I'm surprised we're over the Favre thing, too.

"Should have, would have, could have."

That's the JI motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Let it go people.
    No reason to let it go. It was a bungle last year, it is a bungle his year. The jets, during cmap, are having a mini camp on the side for a bunch of WR's to try out?

Kerley has been a disappointment according to the coach. Schilens has never done anything in this league and is hurt again. Patrick Turner sucks. 'Tone' is an overrate malcontent. Hill sounds really good.

I would be that our QB would have been very very happy if they picked up Edwards.

One big problem with our front office over the years is that they get caught up in chasing rainbows and the big fish and don't pay enough attention to the depth details.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No reason to let it go. It was a bungle last year, it is a bungle his year. The jets, during cmap, are having a mini camp on the side for a bunch of WR's to try out?

Kerley has been a disappointment according to the coach. Schilens has never done anything in this league and is hurt again. Patrick Turner sucks. 'Tone' is an overrate malcontent. Hill sounds really good.

I would be that our QB would have been very very happy if they picked up Edwards.

One big problem with our front office over the years is that they get caught up in chasing rainbows and the big fish and don't pay enough attention to the depth details.
    All this may be true, but for better or worse, they made the decision to part ways.

I just dont understand why we continue to pine for him, and this is coming from as big a Bray fan as there is.

The ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Did someone say drop the ball?

bahahaha!

----------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, you guys really thought we'd get Ed's back...After everyone and their mother in the administration said "NO" ?

Not to mention all the guys we currently have at WR

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    So now we're going to have daily threads on this?

If the Jets wanted him they would have signed him
    My take on it was that Braylon had bad feelings towards the jets, and probably would only come back if that was his only option. Limolady posted that she believed the jets felt the same way. In my fervid imagination I can see Edwards flipping out and lashing out at Rex and Tanny behind close doors when Holmes was chosen over him.

Why do you think that the jets just had to offer him a contract once he was healthy and he would be happy to come back to the team that rejected him.