Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coples Scaled Back

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    BUT, it's also ridiculous to think this guy (who lazied it up last year at NC) is going to be a super game breaker as has been claimed.
    Please become a Giants or blowfish fan. You are ruining this board IMO!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Did he "lazy it up" his junior year? Or in HS? Or Pee-Wee's? Do we have ANY reason to think he's a slouch except for a ridiculously tumultuous season at UNC?

The guy was considered the top defensive prospect in the country going into last season, so yes I will be VERY disappointed if last year ends up defining his NFL career . . .
    But the palmetto bug knows more about Coples then Rex or T.

All League
    Why is this a big deal? He is a rookie

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    There is a little difference between being one of "the sky is falling crew" and happening to observe that the sun has not come out yet.
    Compliments. A very precise observation.
    Actually, no.

Reread this thread and tell me the consensus is "Coples isn't quite there yet". Not even close. If it was, the thread would've ran its course a while ago.

Instead, it's devolved (like it always does) into "See Rex, if you just kept your mouth shut this wouldn't be a big deal" or "I'm not surprised, the guy was a bum last year, too".

It's nice when an objective post is written, but let's not act like they're the norm in this place . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But the palmetto bug knows more about Coples then Rex or T.
    They do seem to know something. THEY demoted him, not me.
    Maybe he has a senior year hangover. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Maybe they were asking him to do too much.

Hall Of Fame
    Would this news about Coples even be "news" if Rex had not anointed him a starter? Probably not, but because he was considered a starter and an every down player according to Rex, this update will cause people to think he is the next Gholston.

Without actually seeing him play this summer, how anyone can say he is disappointing is unreasonable. The only poster hee that should be dissapointed is DWC as he thought Coples was going to shine in goal line drills, while also playing 3 different positions along a defensive front one week after putting a uniform on.

Rex is a big mouth, he quit talking up his team since last year but now has switched to talking up individual players and himself. He refuses to see the consequences of his actions. You know the media is now going to be asking Couples how does he feel about Rex cutting his work load, only the media will ask him by stating that Rex is dissapointed in his progress, and how do you feel about not living up to his expectations. They are going to put the worse possible light on it. Just putting more pressure on a 22 YO kid.

OK everyone, one week in. one week. it's ok to have his reps scaled back as he is a rookie. it'll come. Mo Wilk said it was the same way for him.

The next 4 weeks mean nothing.

4 preseason games with vanilla game plans
    rookies running around like chickens with their heads cut off
    mix and match teams
    early peakers, late bloomers
    injuries
    etc....

You can go on and on but it's just a teaser for the regular season. You can go 1 -3 and still win the Super Bowl like the 2004 Pats or 4 - 0 and go 0 - 16 like Detroit did.

I wouldn't count anyone out or in at this point and I'm always surprised on opening day.

There are few players that can come in as a rookie and start, then dominate. The Jets are building for the future on both sides of the ball. As fans we want to believe we have a shot at winning the super bowl. This will not happen this season. Tanny and Rex have brought in a lot of new talent and it's going to take time for them to learn the new systems. There are a lot of players like Scott, Pace, Thomas on D and players like Holmes, hunter, Sanchez and keller that may not be here after this season.

Tanny and Rex swung for the fences with the win now attitude and that window has closed. This team has too many starters that have become too old and slow, the o line is a shadow of it's former self, we have zero chemistry between the qb and the rest of the O. This is a team being rebuilt and trying to compete with top tier teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Would this news about Coples even be "news" if Rex had not anointed him a starter? Probably not, but because he was considered a starter and an every down player according to Rex, this update will cause people to think he is the next Gholston.
    Which only goes to prove how ignorant fans are.

If they can't handle their coach setting high expectations, only to have them supposedly reeled back (though not really if you read everything in context), they deserve any melodrama they bring on themselves . . .

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    There are few players that can come in as a rookie and start, then dominate. The Jets are building for the future on both sides of the ball. As fans we want to believe we have a shot at winning the super bowl. This will not happen this season. Tanny and Rex have brought in a lot of new talent and it's going to take time for them to learn the new systems. There are a lot of players like Scott, Pace, Thomas on D and players like Holmes, hunter, Sanchez and keller that may not be here after this season.

Tanny and Rex swung for the fences with the win now attitude and that window has closed. This team has too many starters that have become too old and slow, the o line is a shadow of it's former self, we have zero chemistry between the qb and the rest of the O. This is a team being rebuilt and trying to compete with top tier teams.
    Link?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Actually, no.

Reread this thread and tell me the consensus is "Coples isn't quite there yet". Not even close. If it was, the thread would've ran its course a while ago.

Instead, it's devolved (like it always does) into "See Rex, if you just kept your mouth shut this wouldn't be a big deal" or "I'm not surprised, the guy was a bum last year, too".

It's nice when an objective post is written, but let's not act like they're the norm in this place . . .
    I think consensus is a bit of a stretch. I see posts all over the map in here.

I really think this is a excitement killer. I truly believed we'd be hearing great things about Coples right from the get-go, like he was really flashing in TC. So from my standpoint, it really is disappointing.

However, I guess you could say that in the scheme of things it's a very minor bump in the road.

I just really thought at the very least that he would be impressing people with his pass rushing abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    According to DWC he is.
    How does this affect his DROY chances?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Nope, because tons of pass rushers that come into the league have their role scaled down to just focus on rushing the passer instead of doing all that coaches want them to do. Terrell Suggs when he came into the league was struggling at first, and they used him to rush the passer and he had 12 sacks as a rookie. Aldon Smith last season wasn't a starter, they focused on him rushing the passer.

They probably threw a lot at Coples, when you put too much on their mind all they do is think instead of just going out there playing and making plays. We are still very early in training camp, I am excited to see how he does in preseason games. I remember that Wilkerson looked pretty bad in the first preseason game, but he got better each week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    How does this affect his DROY chances?
    Will you please stop trolling Jets message boards.

Remember, we are guests here.

Act like one.

Seems like a reasonable approach for a team with 2 of the most productive 3-4 DEs in the NFL. There aren't many better than Devito vs. the run. Let Q worry about rushing the passer first, that's what we brought him in here for.

Maybin, Coples, Wilkerson, Sapp is going to be a nice passrushing 4-man front. Pace will still be in the mix, but I think he will be phased out in leu of the more dynamic edge rushers. I also think Bellore, Davis and even E. Smith will see more time on the field in passing downs and against pass-happy teams like the pats.

I am loving the depth we have on defense this year!

BOOM!!!

All Pro
    They do seem to know something. THEY demoted him, not me.
    Maybe he has a senior year hangover. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Maybe they were asking him to do too much.
    The only thing they did was decide it was too much for him to learn playing 34 end on the fly. They're going to keep him starting in any 4 man fronts, hence 50 to 80 percent of the plays, depending on the opponent, and how much 34 we run. Why is this such a big deal? I think most people assumed we were switching to a 43 because of this draft pick, because he seemed to fit it better.