Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Irvin wants to add Belichick’s name to the Lombardi Trophy

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    The International Federation of Pats Haters has yet to come to a consensus on who actually sucks, Brady or Belichick. But it's gotta be somebody.
    Thats easy. Belichick is the one who sucks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Thats easy. Belichick is the one who sucks.

The Federation of System Quarterbacks disagrees.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

BB is obviously a HoF coach, and will probably be a first balloter when it's all said and done (because sportswriters deify him like Paterno before Sandusky), but it will be interesting to track his career once Brady retires. He may even retire at the same time.

I always thought that without Brady there is no BB, and without BB there is no Brady. They compliment each other perfectly, but on separate teams I feel like their successes would have much more pedestrian.

Just good luck for the Pats and their front-running fans this past decade, that's all.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    BB is obviously a HoF coach, and will probably be a first balloter when it's all said and done (because sportswriters deify him like Paterno before Sandusky), but it will be interesting to track his career once Brady retires. He may even retire at the same time.

I always thought that without Brady there is no BB, and without BB there is no Brady. They compliment each other perfectly, but on separate teams I feel like their successes would have much more pedestrian.

Just good luck for the Pats and their front-running fans this past decade, that's all.
    Bingo. For the record I believe BB will continue to coach several years after Brady leaves the Pats or retires. He's been around in the NFL far longer than Brady and doesn't give two sh*ts about his legacy. He has roots in New England, has a boat in Nantucket, a son working for him, and 100% job security. He'll coach until he doesn't want to anymore, plain and simple.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 08-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    The Federation of System Quarterbacks disagrees.
    Brady is the system. That offense does not work without Brady. I know 2008 is the counter to this, but that team was a GREAT team coming off of an undefeated regular season. IMO the greatest team of all-time even though they did not win.

Belichick made Brady in the beginning, but Brady has been carrying Belichick for years now. It is an interesting dynamic and the "who made who" argument is interesting as well.

All League

Talking

I think some of you (particularly Pats fans) need to wake the hell up. I for one, begrudgingly, used to give Belichick a ton of credit for his defensive prowess as a coach. But, if you look at the facts, over rated comes to mind. Everyone likes to talk about SB 25 as if that was some great defensive plan put together to stop the vaunted Bills offense. It wasn't. The Bills averaged a point per minute in that game. A POINT PER MINUTE! I'm pretty sure it was the Giants offense controlling the clock for 41 minutes that dictated the result in that game and it still came down to a MISSED FG on the part of the Bills to secure victory for the G-Men.

Now, for the sake of chronology, I'll refer to Belichick's horrendous coaching record with the Browns. 1 playoff season in 6 is it? And off the top of my head, was he 8-8, 9-7? Not exactly world beaters. Then, his first year with the Patriots 5-11? That's with Parcells and Carroll's players on D in particular. Then comes the "spygate"era...

The era in which physical EVIDENCE is eventually discovered years later to have begun and continued through 2007. Now, let's be clear here-the Patriots were found and eventually punished for, in short, CHEATING. They had been warned on 2 previous occasions about these ILLEGAL methods and they (Belichick) decided to ignore them. Why? My only guess, being a sane and logical person, would be because he was experiencing too much success during this PROVEN time period.

As the players of former regimes moved on and the Patriots were theoretically forced into relying on old fashioned coaching and talent to reach the pinnacle of success in the league, it became evident that without those advantages, winning the big one didn't come as easy.

Now, I myself along with other sane people are not saying the Patriots were not a good team during this time, but to win the championship that often, by 3 points in each SB game--to deny the fact that the video taping (cheating) helped them...that's just pride and ignorance gasping for air.

In conclusion, because of the above rhetoric, Belichick does not belong anywhere near the Lombardi trophy. He didn't have half the success that Vince had. And for those of you that talk about "...the days of free agency...its more difficult today...blah, blah. Keep in mind that EVERY TEAM faces free agency and when Lombardi coached, EVERY TEAM could keep their teams together for years if they chose to. Every team, in both eras, were on equal footing.

Just trying to instill some perspective. The child in me would say Belichick is a cheating scumbag and there is absolutely no denying it.
    Last edited by Bleedgreen; 08-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

I always thought that without Brady there is no BB, and without BB there is no Brady.
    That pretty much sums it up right there.

That's a great line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen View Post

The era in which physical EVIDENCE is eventually discovered years later to have begun and continued through 2007. Now, let's be clear here-the Patriots were found and eventually punished for, in short, CHEATING. They had been warned on 2 previous occasions about these ILLEGAL methods and they (Belichick) decided to ignore them. Why? My only guess, being a sane and logical person, would be because he was experiencing too much success during this PROVEN time period.
    A sane and logical Jets fan, perhaps. A sane and logical Patriots fan would say that many of your views are conjecture at best and a steaming pile of hooey at worst. And you would undoubtedly say the same things about my views. So I guess I'll leave it at the usual "agree to disagree".
    Last edited by AFCEastFan; 08-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.

All League
    Brady is the system. That offense does not work without Brady. I know 2008 is the counter to this, but that team was a GREAT team coming off of an undefeated regular season. IMO the greatest team of all-time even though they did not win.

Belichick made Brady in the beginning, but Brady has been carrying Belichick for years now. It is an interesting dynamic and the "who made who" argument is interesting as well.
    That is a pretty accurate analysis and the bolded in particular sums it up. But I think the trend of giving Brady credit for everything since 2007 is a huge slap in the face to some quality football players with playoff experience.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 08-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.

All League
    Michael Irvin wants to add Belichick’s name to the Lombardi Trophy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...mbardi-trophy/

GTFO Irvin. We might as well call it the abracadabra hocus pocus trophy for all the sense it makes

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen View Post
    I think some of you (particularly Pats fans) need to wake the hell up. I for one, begrudgingly, used to give Belichick a ton of credit for his defensive prowess as a coach. But, if you look at the facts, over rated comes to mind. Everyone likes to talk about SB 25 as if that was some great defensive plan put together to stop the vaunted Bills offense. It wasn't. The Bills averaged a point per minute in that game. A POINT PER MINUTE! I'm pretty sure it was the Giants offense controlling the clock for 41 minutes that dictated the result in that game and it still came down to a MISSED FG on the part of the Bills to secure victory for the G-Men.

Now, for the sake of chronology, I'll refer to Belichick's horrendous coaching record with the Browns. 1 playoff season in 6 is it? And off the top of my head, was he 8-8, 9-7? Not exactly world beaters. Then, his first year with the Patriots 5-11? That's with Parcells and Carroll's players on D in particular. Then comes the "spygate"era...

As the players of former regimes moved on and the Patriots were theoretically forced into relying on old fashioned coaching and talent to reach the pinnacle of success in the league, it became evident that without those advantages, winning the big one didn't come as easy.

Now, I myself along with other sane people are not saying the Patriots were not a good team during this time, but to win the championship that often, by 3 points in each SB game--to deny the fact that the video taping (cheating) helped them...that's just pride and ignorance gasping for air.

In conclusion, because of the above rhetoric, Belichick does not belong anywhere near the Lombardi trophy. He didn't have half the success that Vince had. And for those of you that talk about "...the days of free agency...its more difficult today...blah, blah. Keep in mind that EVERY TEAM faces free agency and when Lombardi coached, EVERY TEAM could keep their teams together for years if they chose to. Every team, in both eras, were on equal footing.

Just trying to instill some perspective. The child in me would say Belichick is a cheating scumbag and there is absolutely no denying it.

I need to wake the hell up! Belichick is a joke of a coach, from his very beginnings! I, for one, have woken the hell up. Dude has never accomplished a single thing in his life. Should probably be dead or homeless.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The guy has the best QB in the league, and still can't win one Superbowl without cheating. That obviously makes him the best. Can't argue with that.
    I don't want to argue for Belichick, I can't stand him, but I think he's the best in the league, he's lost so many great coaches and players and the keeps on winning divisions, even when Brady was out they kept winning

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How many division titles, conference championships and Super Bowl titles does Parcells have?

Where is Statz when you need him?

Again, BB strolls into the HOF on the 1st ballot.

Even a monkey knows BB cheated. He gets in, but may have to wait a bit

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

That five minutes of his sponsor speech is always a long wait. Seriously, you all need to separate the hatred from reality in this situation. You're more than welcome to picket out front.

It's going to happen. First ballot. Just accept it and move on. Or continue to piss and moan on a message board, it won't change anything. It never has.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 08-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.

That five minutes of his sponsor speech is always a long wait. Seriously, you all need to separate the hatred from reality in this situation. You're more than welcome to picket out front.

It's going to happen. First ballot. Just accept it and move on. Or continue to piss and moan on a message board, it won't change anything. It never has.
    Reality? The reality is he cheated for many years, probably still is.

Stick your ducky head in the sand and leave it there like the rest of this less than educated in NE.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by child please View Post
    Reality? The reality is he cheated for many years, probably still is.

Stick your ducky head in the sand and leave it there like the rest of this less than educated in NE.
    child, please! (god I love your user name)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I don't want to argue for Belichick, I can't stand him, but I think he's the best in the league, he's lost so many great coaches and players and the keeps on winning divisions, even when Brady was out they kept winning
    Some objective Jets fan stole Mohegangreen's computer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Hey JonE, you still dating that flight attendent that loves the mile high club?

he proves yet again to be nothing more than a boisterous personality.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Some objective Jets fan stole Mohegangreen's computer.
    I'm always objective, more so than you and your Patsie homer cronies