Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the canned supermarket beer corner

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I have to admit, very very little of what I drank ever came in cans.

When I drank cheap, it was usually one of a number of horribad options:

1. Mickey's (Shorty Bottles)
    2. Budwieser (Bottles)
    3. Mad Dog 20/20 (Glass Wino Wine)
    4. Boone's Farm (Glass Wino Wine)
    5. Popov Vodka (Plastic Bottle)
    6. Cutty Sark Scotch (Glass Bottle, swanky)

Cans just didn't get much play, and beer was always better from glass than from aluminum even then.
    Me too, and very true. Mickey wide mouths, used to play quarters with those.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4533142]JW, how friggin' insane were those days? Guys now have no clue how "small town"/tight a$$ed everything was. I'm from the time when cops would pull you over for being loaded, then follow you home to make sure you got there and turned off the car before killing yourself or someone else. Seems unthinkable today.

This is no lie. I once awoke on the back porch with my keys in my breast pocket with a note. "You owe your uncle ------- dinner, and I know him and I will check" in my pocket. The P.S. to the note. "Your car is park by the 7-11 on Stewart ave across form the catlick school". Never happen today, even if you are on the job.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    No Anchor Steam?
    Jungle came out to SFO for business; we hoisted a few Anchor Steam's in your honor, Jumba's honor...who else? Everybuddy I guess...I guess I cannot rremember who else brings up the Steam.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Yea, we drank the schmidt too, its a never ending list
    Couldn't beat the price 4 cents a beer...

[QUOTE=TKasper01;4533271]
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    JW, how friggin' insane were those days? Guys now have no clue how "small town"/tight a$$ed everything was. I'm from the time when cops would pull you over for being loaded, then follow you home to make sure you got there and turned off the car before killing yourself or someone else. Seems unthinkable today.

This is no lie. I once awoke on the back porch with my keys in my breast pocket with a note. "You owe your uncle ------- dinner, and I know him and I will check" in my pocket. The P.S. to the note. "Your car is park by the 7-11 on Stewart ave across form the catlick school". Never happen today, even if you are on the job.
    LOL. GREAT story, TK. I hope you bought him an awesome meal.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by matt robinson 17 View Post
    Back when I was 18 (36 years ago) and worked in King Kullen it was on sale every other week for $.99 for a case of bottles...

I was a beer can collector. I think you are confusing this with Schmidts of Philadelphia. I believe this, without the s on the end, was from Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I have to admit, very very little of what I drank ever came in cans.

When I drank cheap, it was usually one of a number of horribad options:

1. Mickey's (Shorty Bottles)
    2. Budwieser (Bottles)
    3. Mad Dog 20/20 (Glass Wino Wine)
    4. Boone's Farm (Glass Wino Wine)
    5. Popov Vodka (Plastic Bottle)
    6. Cutty Sark Scotch (Glass Bottle, swanky)

Cans just didn't get much play, and beer was always better from glass than from aluminum even then.
    We didn't always drink cheap stuff, also alot of Grolsch(awesome old fashioned tops), Michelob, loved Molson Golden alot of Beck's also,

Quote Originally Posted by matt robinson 17 View Post
    Couldn't beat the price 4 cents a beer...
    It wasn't that cheap for us, probably like $8 a case of cans

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Mods, please rename this thread to guys who have felt a tit

Thanks.
    el fixe'

Undrafted Free Agent
    High school beer for me was a semi-warm 12 pack of natty ice. Awful awful stuff but did the job fast haha. And even 8 years ago it was only about $8 for 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    el fixe'
    Well, you know I am posting in here so that must mean I've felt a tit. Duh!

I was a beer can collector. I think you are confusing this with Schmidts of Philadelphia. I believe this, without the s on the end, was from Minnesota.
    Beer made from real trouts??!!

Man, I missed out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    We didn't always drink cheap stuff, also alot of Grolsch(awesome old fashioned tops), Michelob, loved Molson Golden alot of Beck's also,
    Drinking Molsons & Grolsh was our first 'step up' into Imported Beer Land.
    The room always 'oooh'd and aaaahh'd' when someone walked in with those....we figured they probably stole them (or the money to buy them)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    The room always 'oooh'd and aaaahh'd' when someone walked in with those....we figured they probably stole them (or the money to buy them)
    Lol, my friend got a job at the local beer distributor (what were they thinking hiring him) and started "forgetting a few cases outside the back door every couple of days", that was when we started with all the great imports and eventually ended up with cases and kegs on the regular, if its free its for me

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    For us, it was Heineken.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4533271]
    JW, how friggin' insane were those days? Guys now have no clue how "small town"/tight a$$ed everything was. I'm from the time when cops would pull you over for being loaded, then follow you home to make sure you got there and turned off the car before killing yourself or someone else. Seems unthinkable today.

LOL

I remember getting pulled over and the cops made us pour the beer in the ditch. One kid decided to be a hero and shotgunned an entire beer right in front of the cops . Cops let us walk home and took the guzzler to the police station and called his parents.

Hall Of Fame
    For us, it was Heineken.
    ditto Heineken was pimp juice

I just remember Heineken, Becks, St. Pauli Girl, Guiness and Bass Ale. Probably couldn't have named another beer.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;4533462]
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post

LOL

I remember getting pulled over and the cops made us pour the beer in the ditch. One kid decided to be a hero and shotgunned an entire beer right in front of the cops . Cops let us walk home and took the guzzler to the police station and called his parents.
    There is always that guy in the group. Always. Maybe it's a "putz gene".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The "boombox" in my era was a transistor radio. Seriously. F**k me.
    We walked aroung Queens with a boomboz blasting Pink Floyd's "Animals".

We'd end up in Filene's Basement parking lot off the LIE playing ultimate Frisbee for hours and drinking Boones Farm Strawberry WIne.

Around '79..'80 I think.

Man we puked up a storm.

-

Veteran

You're right Timmy my mistake