Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who sees the benefit of Tebow inside the 10??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    No, I understand all that, I'm just sick of Tebow, and it's only day 6.
    Wait until Sanchez stinks up the joint in a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't think people dispute the fact that Tebow will be a strong goal line/wildcat/short yardage "player". The problem is that the media hype on him starting as an every down QB has made it annoying.

What other 2nd string QB makes himself available to the media?

Nobody else thinks he acts like a primadonna?
    what other second string qb does the media ask to interview? not a tebow fan boy but he is anything but a primadona

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    So you agree this was just a PR move? Or do you think there are other areas we can use him, just not red zone/3rd down?
    Well there's the conundrum. The fact of the matter is the only thing Tim Tebow was good at last season was last minute drives when his team was behind but within a score. That was it. He stunk at every other facet of the game. So if you really are a Tebow supported and you want to capitalize on what he's good at, you would support putting him in at QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 6.

But the bottom line is the last thing he should be doing is extending drives and red zone plays because he was the worst player in the league at both last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Well there's the conundrum. The fact of the matter is the only thing Tim Tebow was good at last season was last minute drives when his team was behind but within a score. That was it. He stunk at every other facet of the game. So if you really are a Tebow supported and you want to capitalize on what he's good at, you would support putting him in at QB with 2 minutes left in the game down by 6.

But the bottom line is the last thing he should be doing is extending drives and red zone plays because he was the worst player in the league at both last year.
    +1.

The Jets led the league in "goal-to-go" situations at an 80% TD rate--best in the NFL--the league average was in the low 60%.

So yeah, apparently that was something we desperately needed to improve on.

Good move getting the best goal-to-go QB in the league last year off the field in goal-to-go situations and putting someone who is not the best in the league at goal-to-go situations.

You want to tout Tebow as a good pick up to make plays occasionally out of different packages?

Fine. But don't try to sell that Tebow is a "benefit" to plays inside the 10 when we were already great at it.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    +1.

The Jets led the league in "goal-to-go" situations at an 80% TD rate--best in the NFL--the league average was in the low 60%.

So yeah, apparently that was something we desperately needed to improve on.

Good move getting the best goal-to-go QB in the league last year off the field in goal-to-go situations and putting someone who is not the best in the league at goal-to-go situations.

You want to tout Tebow as a good pick up to make plays occasionally out of different packages?

Fine. But don't try to sell that Tebow is a "benefit" to plays inside the 10 when we were already great at it.

_
    Not sure you can count on those figures repeating themselves. As Doggin suggested, there is likely to be some mean regression - not necessarily to the extent of our FG% against, but I don't think there's any peripheral stat that supports the Jets repeating that %. We were #2 last year, we were #28 the year before (at least according to these numbers - the metrics may vary from site to site). http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ate=2011-02-07

And likewise on Tebow, he is going to be in a significantly different role this year than last. As a starting QB, he sucked. As several suggest, his only true merit was last minute drives. But, just like the Jets red zone efficiency, that also will likely regress to the mean. There was simply no logical basis for the Broncos to believe that it would carry over to 2012 - hence their courtship with Manning.

Like him or not, Tebow is clearly an asset in short yardage packages. It stands to reason that he'll be called upon, at times, inside the 10. Having him, even if its as a decoy, is a good thing and will only help our goal line offense, his performance in a different offense last year notwithstanding. I doubt that he will get every red zone play or even half of them. But bringing him in situations where we can maximize his strengths will help. Last year, Denver was stuck with Tebow on 3rd and goal from the 7. The Jets aren't. But, 4th and 2 from the 12? Tebow can certainly be an asset there.

I'm very excited about Tebow. Should be great in the redzone even though we led the league last year in that area. And in short yardage situations.

Just worried about actually getting down there often enough for him to do damage.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

There was simply no logical basis for the Broncos to believe that it would carry over to 2012 - hence their courtship with Manning.

I was sort of reacting to what Jaws was saying the other day--he quoted the 80% league leading G2G stat and said Tebow was brought in to help in those situations--it just sounded silly.

Look, I know Tebow is going to make plays, I just think the utility will be maximized if the frequency is minimized.

You put him in once in a while--it gets the D off-guard--my fear is you do it regularly, you'll see defenses stopping it regularly.

_

Best case scenario? He becomes a VITAL part of this offense, then just when defenses figure it out we trade him away for more than we gave up . . .
    To who, and why will they give up more than the jets gave? It was a two team race between the jags and the jets and the jets got him for a late 4th.

Fans can be expected to be optimistic, but some fans are acting like they signed a combination Randall Cunnigham/Earl Campbell.

And put me in the camp that the signing was driven by Woody and not Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    To who, and why will they give up more than the jets gave? It was a two team race between the jags and the jets and the jets got him for a late 4th.

Fans can be expected to be optimistic, but some fans are acting like they signed a combination Randall Cunnigham/Earl Campbell.

And put me in the camp that the signing was driven by Woody and not Rex.
    You do know what "best case scenario" means, right?

If we can use Tebow in a way that showcases his skills, I don't see why there isn't even a REMOTE POSSIBILITY that someone might give up more than we did. It's only his third year in the league -- there's NO WAY he's going to improve to the point his value might improve?

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it would be nice to not have to deal with the stupid "Cunningham/Campbell" comment that had NOTHING to do with my post . . .

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I was sort of reacting to what Jaws was saying the other day--he quoted the 80% league leading G2G stat and said Tebow was brought in to help in those situations--it just sounded silly.

Look, I know Tebow is going to make plays, I just think the utility will be maximized if the frequency is minimized.

You put him in once in a while--it gets the D off-guard--my fear is you do it regularly, you'll see defenses stopping it regularly.

_
    Oh, I agree. Until I see it, I think the "up to 20 plays a game" is a total unrealistic projection unless we are referring to anything from 1 - 20, which makes sense.

To me, the best thing I've seen from the CS is that Tebow is being used as a Punt Protector, which means they are viewing him as a utility player, not a QB. Sure he's a guy that will occasionally take snaps under Center, but he's a QB as much as Brad Smith was a QB.

If he's used in the right way, he can be effective and worthy addition. And that is "once in a while". That's fine for the price of a 4th round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh, I agree. Until I see it, I think the "up to 20 plays a game" is a total unrealistic projection unless we are referring to anything from 1 - 20, which makes sense.

To me, the best thing I've seen from the CS is that Tebow is being used as a Punt Protector, which means they are viewing him as a utility player, not a QB. Sure he's a guy that will occasionally take snaps under Center, but he's a QB as much as Brad Smith was a QB.

If he's used in the right way, he can be effective and worthy addition. And that is "once in a while". That's fine for the price of a 4th round pick.
    Here's what I'm wondering--if he's truly the "second string" "back-up" QB, is he going to get most of the snaps in the preseason games after Sanchez, or is Sanchez going to get starters snaps with the first team, Tebow quasi-starter snaps with some of the first team and McElroy and Simms the bulk of the snaps with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers.

I don't think Tebow will be getting a bulk of the second string/back up snaps in preseason like one would expect.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Here's what I'm wondering--if he's truly the "second string" "back-up" QB, is he going to get most of the snaps in the preseason games after Sanchez, or is Sanchez going to get starters snaps with the first team, Tebow quasi-starter snaps with some of the first team and McElroy and Simms the bulk of the snaps with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers.

I don't think Tebow will be getting a bulk of the second string/back up snaps in preseason like one would expect.

_
    I was wondering the same thing. Is Tebow going to be running the normal offense or just running the Tebow packages. It would be tough to evaluate the players on offense if they are just running the Tebow stuff when he is in there.

_
    My fear is them letting Tebow throw. I am sure there's going to be a few occasions where we had nice drives going only for Tebow to come in and throw a pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

_
    It's a chain of command, and fairly specific with time allotments I would imagine things would not change much.

All League
    Jets were best in the red zone LAST YEAR. Means nothing this year. Plax is gone. This season will be different. Jets were just about the best defense in Rex's first season, but that didn't help them last year. Tebow in the red zone is a good thing

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Jets were best in the red zone LAST YEAR. Means nothing this year. Plax is gone. This season will be different. Jets were just about the best defense in Rex's first season, but that didn't help them last year. Tebow in the red zone is a good thing
    Yeah, but being efficient in t RZ, doesn't mean much if you are not outscoring your opponent on a game by game basis. I guess some TE's, RB's, WR's, and Mark are going to have to step it up to make up for Numnutz.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    charlie, you need to consider regression to the mean. teams that lead the league in red zone efficiency while being near the bottom of the league in offensive efficiency
    probably won't repeat those red zone results the next year
    Especially when Burress was their best red zone weapon last year is no longer on the team.

You do know what "best case scenario" means, right?

If we can use Tebow in a way that showcases his skills, I don't see why there isn't even a REMOTE POSSIBILITY that someone might give up more than we did. It's only his third year in the league -- there's NO WAY he's going to improve to the point his value might improve?

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it would be nice to not have to deal with the stupid "Cunningham/Campbell" comment that had NOTHING to do with my post . . .
    Well the best case is trading him for Demarcus Ware. But yes there is a remote possibility of trading him next year for more than what the jets sent for him. But if he does produce, I don't see the jets trading him away, unless his presense end up being a negative. y

The comparison was not directed at you or your post. But to fans that somehow expect him to be much more than what he has shown already.

I did not mean to be a dick or anything.
    Last edited by patman; 08-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

_
    My hope is that the Jets actually like McElroy and view him as something more than a scrap heap #3 QB. A 2.5ish type guy. So, if Sanchez does in fact go down with an injury, It wouldn't just be Tebow, but McElroy would take the traditional snaps with an obvious heavier lean on the Tebow related plays.

In that vein, I hope McElroy gets snaps more in line with the #2 guy. My guess, however, is that Tebow, in addition to his spot snaps with the 1s, will get several full drives leading the offense

Hall Of Fame
    My hope is that the Jets actually like McElroy and view him as something more than a scrap heap #3 QB. A 2.5ish type guy. So, if Sanchez does in fact go down with an injury, It wouldn't just be Tebow, but McElroy would take the traditional snaps with an obvious heavier lean on the Tebow related plays.

In that vein, I hope McElroy gets snaps more in line with the #2 guy. My guess, however, is that Tebow, in addition to his spot snaps with the 1s, will get several full drives leading the offense
    I'm rooting for McElroy, but the reports of his lack of any type of NFL arm is dampening my hopes.

Guy could be a good game manager, am looking forward to seeing him in preseason.

Wouldn't bum me out to see him get 75% of the snaps because if Sanchez does go down during the season--I agree that it'll be a Tebow-McElroy split at QB.

_