Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 7 Camp Updates (Fri 8/3)

Quote Originally Posted by RblJet View Post
    very worried. I am not seeing any improvement with sanchez from years past. at least from the camp reports. I am really hoping I am wrong.
    You cant tell anything from these practices other than arm strength, release and location. The defense knows what the offense is doing they're on the same team. They have the same playbook.

There is no audible, if the D is in the dime, he cant switch the play to a run.

The D is running the same D that in the past, just with a little more emphasis on the 4-3 than in years past but still the same D.

Sanchez is working with a new offense with different verbiage and different receivers and a new rb. To even expect him to be at the level of comfort he was at this time last year is optimistic at best.

Sanchez and the new offense might not click for a few games into the regular season. The change in OC for the jets, is not like the change in OC from O'brien to McDaniels for the pats, but a totally different system.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Gotcha

I am definitely not thrilled that we arent completing more passes/executing more, and that is all on sanchez.

As much as I have faith that he will make a leap this season, i dont like to hear things about his inaccuracy or especially the fact that he doesnt put a lot of touch on his passes. That is stuff that should be second nature by now
    We all know it's on Sanchez. But I just feel like the team around him is not that good.

I mean we're trying to get excited about Powell stepping up. And Schilens becoming a solid #2. Hoping rookie Hill makes an impact. And we still have Hunter on the line with a Duccasse/Slauson battle.

I definitely don't think the O will be as bad as last year but we'll see how much better they can get.

A lot of question marks and hopefuls for things to go right, when we can be potentially fielding a top 3 defense.

All League
    Reading these practice threads has been really educational. It makes
    me wish I was still at camp. A couple of things:

- Evaluating a player based on a 140 character comment by a person who
    really isn't watching practice is ridiculous. Excluding Vrentas, the rest of
    the media "flocks" together chit-chats among themselves and every now
    and then "tweets" and in depth evaluation (yeah right). Be careful on
    how much stock you put into what you are reading because they never
    give you the full context of what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    He won't be allowed to have a horrible season. If he has a few horrible games, he won't be playing anymore. We'll be runnin Gator an winning games 13-6 with Timmy giving little DBs nightmares! Smash Mouth, ground and pound football will be back!

That is not a recipe for success in the NFL. People will be able to game plan, see Patriots playoff ass kicking on Broncos last season, and stop Tebow adn the wildcat. Soon or a later you need to throw.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Thank God they're gone!!!
    Hell yeah, and they have the nerve to call the Jets a circus, they're the friggen circus.

I find it hilarious that you guys can't separate yourselves enough from being pessimistic to see the middle ground here...

Our defense has been ahead of our offense for years now...

Our offense is being installed on the fly, as I'm not really going to count OTA's and the reading of a playbook for a couple months as a fair learning experience...

Couple those things together and you're going to hear what you've heard...

Through all that though, you've heard guys like Hill, Powell, Baker and Turner have decent performances...

You've heard about flashes from Schilens midst a few dropped balls, not just from him I might add, which is skewing the stats from these team drills for the QB's...

Everyone is excited about the defense, who have gotten pressure at an alarming rate... You can either A) be excited that our defensive pressure has turned a corner... B) lay it on the OL and say 'oh no, here we go again'... or C) Say it's a little bit of both and that should temper expectations from what you're hearing about on the offensive units production...

I don't see a whole lot of the latter going on and it is extremely annoying...

Whatever though, enjoy your b!tchfest...

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    I guess we'll see next week at the first pre season game.

I just don't see any encouragement to get excited about except for Stephen Hill really.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that either...PS games are primarily glorified scrimmages...Again, there is little to no game planning...

And next week the 1st team will play 1 quarter...

Hall Of Fame
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Cromartie blames the media for blowing his comments out of proportion. Says he meant what he said

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I heard Jaws say at least 10 times when he was there that Sanchez looks a lot better than he did last year. Bigger, more confident going through his progressions, and more zip on the deep out. What reports are you referring to?
    Just following the twitter reports every day. Good, I hope Jaws is correct. I am just looking at the final stats like today. I am hoping for a 4th year like from Drew Bree's, but am worried we may be getting the same old, same old from Sanchez. I am not at camp. I am only going off twitter feeds.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I find it hilarious that you guys can't separate yourselves enough from being pessimistic to see the middle ground here...

Our defense has been ahead of our offense for years now...

Our offense is being installed on the fly, as I'm not really going to count OTA's and the reading of a playbook for a couple months as a fair learning experience...

Couple those things together and you're going to hear what you've heard...

Through all that though, you've heard guys like Hill, Powell, Baker and Turner have decent performances...

You've heard about flashes from Schilens midst a few dropped balls, not just from him I might add, which is skewing the stats from these team drills for the QB's...

Everyone is excited about the defense, who have gotten pressure at an alarming rate... You can either A) be excited that our defensive pressure has turned a corner... B) lay it on the OL and say 'oh no, here we go again'... or C) Say it's a little bit of both and that should temper expectations from what you're hearing about on the offensive units production...

I don't see a whole lot of the latter going on and it is extremely annoying...

Whatever though, enjoy your b!tchfest...
    The pessimists don't think the defense is any good either.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that either...PS games are primarily glorified scrimmages...Again, there is little to no game planning...

I see. so at what point is it fair to judge this team? Do I need to wait till the season starts?

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Reading these practice threads has been really educational. It makes
    me wish I was still at camp. A couple of things:

- Evaluating a player based on a 140 character comment by a person who
    really isn't watching practice is ridiculous. Excluding Vrentas, the rest of
    the media "flocks" together chit-chats among themselves and every now
    and then "tweets" and in depth evaluation (yeah right). Be careful on
    how much stock you put into what you are reading because they never
    give you the full context of what's going on
    Thank you! Finally some sanity. And spoken with greatauthority from the guy who has been there and done that.

What can I say? Continued great training camp analysis from KRL, even when he is not there!

All Pro

All I want to see is Sanchez looking confident back there. Making his reads, and sticking throws with authority. He has to trust himself, and his receivers. From all accounts he has improved in this area. The rest will sort itself out.

I see. so at what point is it fair to judge this team? Do I need to wait till the season starts?
    Pretty much....

we all know how PS goes..And the coaches themselves say they do very little to any, game planning for PS games..

Game 1 - 1st team plays 1 qtr
    Game 2 - 1st team plays 1st half
    Game 3 - 1st team plays into 2nd half
    Game 4 - 1st team plays at most 1 series

This isn't new? You've been around here for years...
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You cant tell anything from these practices other than arm strength, release and location. The defense knows what the offense is doing they're on the same team. They have the same playbook.

There is no audible, if the D is in the dime, he cant switch the play to a run.

The D is running the same D that in the past, just with a little more emphasis on the 4-3 than in years past but still the same D.

Sanchez is working with a new offense with different verbiage and different receivers and a new rb. To even expect him to be at the level of comfort he was at this time last year is optimistic at best.

Sanchez and the new offense might not click for a few games into the regular season. The change in OC for the jets, is not like the change in OC from O'brien to McDaniels for the pats, but a totally different system.
    It is absolutely scary that this SANE post comes from an opposing fan trying to explain in essence that this isn't fantasy football!!!

Good Grief.....

All Pro
    It depends on what you're judging. If you're looking for potential then you can judge individual things when you see them. If you're looking to see stats then you have to wait until the season is over. At what point did the Giants judge their team last year?

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Thank you! Finally some sanity. And spoken with greatauthority from the guy who has been there and done that.

What can I say? Continued great training camp analysis from KRL, even when he is not there!
    +1

We already know 40+ players that are going to make the roster...TC is to install/practice the O and D plays and the PS games and basically running "vanilla" plays and determine the remaining 10+ roster spots and Practice Squad...

Of course after cuts, Tanny will pick up a few players cut from other teams

Preseason will give you some insight - when they play against teams who don't know the plays (and, frankly, when the offense plays defenses that aren't as good as ours and the D plays offenses that are better).

If Sapp and Maybin and Wilkerson are bringing pressure against another team's 1s in preseason, it's time to get excited. If Sanchez has his full complement of WRs against another team's 1s and is 1-8, it's time to get worried.

Not now, with only 2 WRs who will be on the final 53 actually suiting up, and playing against 2 of the best CBs in football. I mean really - if another team came in during the regular season with its top targets being Hill, Turner, Keller, and a bunch of street FAs, how well would you expect the QB to do against our D?

All League
    Peter Schwartz ‏@pschwartzwfan
    Bart scott to official after a def hold penalty. "you wont get promoted at foot locker with calls like that"
    hahaha thats awesome

All League
    A point...
    Quote Originally Posted by @MikeTanier
    Now, these camp "completion percentages." You probably know they are BS, but are you sure you know why?

Over and above the fact that QBs can't be touched and the difference between 1st and 2nd team is a huge issue I never see mentioned.

Every training camp full-team rep comes in a simulated down-and-distance situation. The coaches set up 1st-and-10, 3rd-and-2, etc.

So, the 2-yard checkdown completion on 3rd-and-9 is a clear fail, and there are other times when the QB is expected to be "situational"

This is not a Jets thing. All around the league we are saying "QB1 was 2-of-7, QB2 was 3-of-9". Down-distance never mentioned.

The result is a gross case of false precision in data. Better to be subjective than disseminate bad data.