Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about James Jones WR GB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Kerley can't grasp the playbook and hasn't shown anything consistent
    hill is an unproven rookie he could be good could be bad
    Schilens hasn't played a full season in his 4-5 years and has never had a 400 yd plus season iirc
    Holmes is a head case
    Turner hasn't really ever shown us he is better than a 4/5th wr

Holmes/Edwards/cotch/smith were 10x the group the current one is
    I'll admit I'm playing devil's advocate and have NOTHING to back up these statements (but I'm going to make them anyway)

1) Holmes -- There's no reason to think he will be worse this year than he was two years ago. He should have a better rapport with Sanchez, and HOPEFULLY Sporano uses him more efficiently. I'm willing to call it a wash, but would like to think he'll be MORE productive than he was in 2010.

2) Edwards -- I loved the guy and wish we still had him, but water under the bridge. Having said that, Plax spent two years in prison and gave comparable #s to what Braylon did (612/8 vs 904/7). Yes BE was more productive, but if a cancer like Plax could produce, there's no reason to think Hill can't also. Not All-Pro numbers, just ones that could mirror Braylon's production. Add in the fact that Hill should only get BETTER and there's a chance this is an upgrade by the end of the season.

3) Cotchery -- a HUGE loss for Sanchez IMO. He was clutch on 3rd down and was sorely missed. But let's not get too crazy with this Kerley-bashing. Maybe the kid had some growing up to do, but there's no reason to think he won't do it. Until I see otherwise (not just tweets) I'm expecting Kerley to fill this role nicely. I'd be THRILLED with a push here.

4) Smith -- this one's easy. Smith did NOTHING from a WR perspective. If Turner/White/McKnight . . . even CROMARTIE can't put up 4/44, we have bigger problems than any of us thought.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to "praise" this year's squad, but I'm really not. My point is more we haven't been good in a while, so the bar isn't exactly set high. If Sanchez matures and Sporano runs a more efficient offense I have no doubt we can put up similar stats this year, if not better.

Of course there's no guarantee, but it's August so I'm sticking to my guns on this one . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I'll admit I'm playing devil's advocate and have NOTHING to back up these statements (but I'm going to make them anyway)

1) Holmes -- There's no reason to think he will be worse this year than he was two years ago. He should have a better rapport with Sanchez, and HOPEFULLY Sporano uses him more efficiently. I'm willing to call it a wash, but would like to think he'll be MORE productive than he was in 2010.

2) Edwards -- I loved the guy and wish we still had him, but water under the bridge. Having said that, Plax spent two years in prison and gave comparable #s to what Braylon did (612/8 vs 904/7). Yes BE was more productive, but if a cancer like Plax could produce, there's no reason to think Hill can't also. Not All-Pro numbers, just ones that could mirror Braylon's production. Add in the fact that Hill should only get BETTER and there's a chance this is an upgrade by the end of the season.

3) Cotchery -- a HUGE loss for Sanchez IMO. He was clutch on 3rd down and was sorely missed. But let's not get too crazy with this Kerley-bashing. Maybe the kid had some growing up to do, but there's no reason to think he won't do it. Until I see otherwise (not just tweets) I'm expecting Kerley to fill this role nicely. I'd be THRILLED with a push here.

4) Smith -- this one's easy. Smith did NOTHING from a WR perspective. If Turner/White/McKnight . . . even CROMARTIE can't put up 4/44, we have bigger problems than any of us thought.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to "praise" this year's squad, but I'm really not. My point is more we haven't been good in a while, so the bar isn't exactly set high. If Sanchez matures and Sporano runs a more efficient offense I have no doubt we can put up similar stats this year, if not better.

Of course there's no guarantee, but it's August so I'm sticking to my guns on this one . . .
    good points, but my main thing is this wr core hasn't even played a regular season game so how can people start talking about how its the best we have had in years, and I still don't think schilens makes the team and if he does he won't even play half the season. We really need another wr option to play it safe. Holmes needs someone oppostie from him, he does not play great in double coverage as you saw last year. Hopefully hill can step up, but he is a rookie, and to add to that a rookie that caught less than 50 balls in college.

I hope they are better, and I know its early in camp but I just don't see it as even close at this point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Im not sure if he is available. But he cant be happy as the 5th wr on the packers. Offer them a 4th and get him in here. He turned 28 a few years ago so he is still young.
    Yeah I'm sure he's really upset having Aaron Rodgers throw him passes and playing on a team likely to get 13+ wins. Also, check the stats, I'm fairly certain he had more receiving yards than Holmes last year.

He's probably thrilled to be in GB and even if he wasn't, he has zero say on a trade, the Packers want to keep him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about sending the pack a 4th rounder for him? With Driver, Cobb, Nelson and Jennings, there is really no room for him on the roster.

I bet we could get him for a 4th round pick.
    You make no sense. He just signed with Green Bay. Not sure what the bonus was, but there's no way Green Bay swallows that entire bonus against the 2012 cap. Players don't get traded after signing extensions or new contracts with bonuses.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2011 stats:

Holmes as Jets #1 WR: 654 yards, 8 TDs
    Jones as Packers #4 WR: 635 yards, 7 TDs

What's funny (actually sad) is Sanchez targeted Holmes 47 times more than Rodgers targeted Jones. The result of those 47 extra targets? 19 more yards and 1 more TD.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    2011 stats:

What's funny (actually sad) is Sanchez targeted Holmes 47 times more than Rodgers targeted Jones. The result of those 47 extra targets? 19 more yards and 1 more TD.
    You can not compare, in any way, shape or form the Packers offense to the Jets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about sending the pack a 4th rounder for him? With Driver, Cobb, Nelson and Jennings, there is really no room for him on the roster.

I bet we could get him for a 4th round pick.
    not a bad idea

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get the disrespect to the group is all. I finally feel excited about what we have for the 1st time in a long while and people act like we have a bad group. I know some of you loved when we pick up BE. To me his play was like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing but mostly painful. I don't miss him at all. Holmes like him or not he is here. The only reason to get a guy like Jones is to replace Holmes and I don't think that helps Sanchez at all.

Trading for guys that are putting up 500-700 yards in GB a year does not improve this squad. Nor does it improve Sanchez who is the bigger question mark. I said it before the draft and my tune is not changing the only way to get better at WR is to draft them and play them. Sitting a WR in the 3 or 4 spot doesn't make them better.

Hill is a draft pick with Bowe or Britt ability but as far as I can tell no attitude. Kerley I was wow'd by last year. Really feel he is under valued. Some of the plays he did in his short time playing looked amazing. OK he is off to a slow start this year. That is what Chaz Schilens is for he is already our safety net. One week into camp I'm not looking to throw away more picks on 1 and 2 year fixes. I am done with that. We are a better WR core then we have been and no where near the worst in the league so again I say I just don't understand the hate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I just don't get the disrespect to the group is all. I finally feel excited about what we have for the 1st time in a long while and people act like we have a bad group. I know some of you loved when we pick up BE. To me his play was like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing but mostly painful. I don't miss him at all. Holmes like him or not he is here. The only reason to get a guy like Jones is to replace Holmes and I don't think that helps Sanchez at all.

Trading for guys that are putting up 500-700 yards in GB a year does not improve this squad. Nor does it improve Sanchez who is the bigger question mark. I said it before the draft and my tune is not changing the only way to get better at WR is to draft them and play them. Sitting a WR in the 3 or 4 spot doesn't make them better.

Hill is a draft pick with Bowe or Britt ability but as far as I can tell no attitude. Kerley I was wow'd by last year. Really feel he is under valued. Some of the plays he did in his short time playing looked amazing. OK he is off to a slow start this year. That is what Chaz Schilens is for he is already our safety net. One week into camp I'm not looking to throw away more picks on 1 and 2 year fixes. I am done with that. We are a better WR core then we have been and no where near the worst in the league so again I say I just don't understand the hate.
    LOL schilens as a safety net, oh thats great

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    LOL schilens as a safety net, oh thats great
    It could be worse BE could be our Net either way I don't think it matters this is a good group.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can not compare, in any way, shape or form the Packers offense to the Jets.
    No but point being, Jones as a #4 WR in GB is not in such a bad situation as the OP made it seem like. I can't imagine many WRs are dying to be traded to our offense considering the philosophical direction Rex/Sparano are taking things this year.

Or more simply, when you're a WR and you play with Aaron Rodgers, life is good

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we're all happier fans if you're right. No need to rain any further on the excitement.

Besides, if you thought Kerley's 300 yards and 1 TD last year were amazing, I don't think there's any way this year's group can possibly disappoint you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I begged for him last year. I thought he was better than Plax. I don't think he DECIDED to resign with GB its just that nobody really pursued him hard enough and he knows damn well that with GB he'll get a lot more chances cause they pass 85% of the time and throw it all over the place. Who wouldn't want to stay there? As for us trading for him .... we'd be stupid not to but GB isn't getting rid of him at all. They spread it out all over the place and he's their main outside guy in those spread situations. He moves around and plays slot as well and he's clutch. Although he had some key drops look at the TD catch he made against the Eagles in the playoff game, INCREDIBLE. He would be great for us but GB isn't getting rid of him. Anyone who thinks that is foolish. They treat receivers in Green Bay like we treat our corners. Those receivers aren't going anywhere, not one of them. They drafted Cobb AND resigned Jones last year lol ... Anyone who thinks this is a bad problem for GB is CRAZY. They love this ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

You're delusional .... Schilens is a safety net yet you poop on Jones's stats AHAHHAHA. Have you ever watched him play or did you just wikipedia his stats from last year and think you got it down? Watch that guy play and don't look at his wikipedia stats or online madden stats. The guy is a BURNER ... he gets buy guys with ease and he's physical. Rodgers said last year that his speed was one of the reasons Nelson was getting so many favorable match ups cause the safeties usually run to Jones side to help a CB or teams put their best inside guy on Jones PLUS with over the top help. He had much more effect on the game than any stat says. Cobb barely played wideout last year and Jones is their burner and attracts deep attention. Watch the games and research so you can learn about the game more don't just look up stats.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    2011 stats:

That is sad. Almost as sad as paying top 10 receiver money to nothing but an average receiver. Holmes on the steelers was the equivalent to Mario manningham. A nice possession guy who made some clutch plays. Like the steelers the giants let a disposable piece walk after he won them a Super Bowl, the jets sign him to stupid money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He turned 28 a few years ago so he is still young.
    wat

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote an article on the WR position battle, not trying to plug the site, but since this is a WR thread, and I am a member here...

Also, I think White is going to surprise, to me he is Jericho Cotchery type of player.

I also like Turner making a leap this year.

http://nyjetsuniverse.wordpress.com/...wide-receiver/