Thread: A sleeper in the backfield. Bilal Powell.

All League

A sleeper in the backfield. Bilal Powell.

I mentioned this in another thread last week.

Powell is going to shut up ALL THE STUPID HOMERS on this board who were crying #29 was a "waste of a draft pick" last year. Grow up and realize it takes time for a kid to develop and feel comfortable in the NFL.

Now he seems to be the Diamond in the Rough that all the coaches and FO were gushing about last year in direct contrast to all the Internet GMs on this board.

If this moron - ESPN beat writer "Me Like" Dick SemenI - can see it, I hope the homers realize it now

A sleeper in the backfield. Bilal Powell, coming off a non-descript rookie season, is showing why the Jets used a fourth-round pick on him. He's having a nice camp, even getting some reps with the first team. If he keeps it up, he could leap-frog Joe McKnight on the depth chart, backing up Shonn Greene. Powell also has a chance to win the third-down job because he's better than McKnight in pass protection. Ryan made a great point about Powell: His pattern, based on his career at Louisville, is to start slow and finish strong. Maybe the Jets are seeing the upside in Year 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post

Powell is going to shut up ALL THE STUPID HOMERS on this board who were crying #29 was a "waste of a draft pick" last year. Grow up and realize it takes time for a kid to develop and feel comfortable in the NFL.

Now he seems to be the Diamond in the Rough that all the coaches and FO were gushing about last year in direct contrast to all the Internet GMs on this board.

If this moron - ESPN beat writer "Me Like" Dick SemenI - can see it, I hope the homers realize it now

A sleeper in the backfield. Bilal Powell, coming off a non-descript rookie season, is showing why the Jets used a fourth-round pick on him. He's having a nice camp, even getting some reps with the first team. If he keeps it up, he could leap-frog Joe McKnight on the depth chart, backing up Shonn Greene. Powell also has a chance to win the third-down job because he's better than McKnight in pass protection. Ryan made a great point about Powell: His pattern, based on his career at Louisville, is to start slow and finish strong. Maybe the Jets are seeing the upside in Year 2.
    Not sure you know what the definition of "homers" is.

I don't really question his ability as much as we didn't need a RB. Greene is a good starter already and I love what McKnight brings. Just feel both are better options. He can burst on to the seen great but we already have the weapons IMO.

Bilal Powell Scouting Report

Competitiveness: Shies away from no contact. In fact, seeks contact out ó looking to lay wood on defenders. Never concedes a yard. Legs are always churning and arms are always pumping. Runs with determination, vigor, and passion every time he steps on the field. A fierce competitor that will rally the troops when necessary.

Vision/Patience: Displays excellent vision and patience. Knows how to let blocks and holes develop before accelerating. Picks his holes wisely, choosing the one that gives the best bang for the buck. Doesnít do a lot of dancing behind the line of scrimmage or in the hole. Once a hole materializes, he sees it, picks it, then hits it.

Agility/Acceleration: Agility is average. Doesnít have that jump cut that most like in their Running Backs. Lateral movement is good, not great, but elusiveness is below average. Not the type of back to put defenders on ice skates, but can plant his foot and change directions effectively. Acceleration is superb. Can cut and burst with some of the best backs in the nation. Speed is average, but top-notch acceleration allows him a head start to daylight.

Power/Balance
    : Plays with good pad level, which allows for maximum power upon contact. Dishes out more blows than he receives. Runs with a forward lean, always falling forward and picking up extra yards. Not the biggest back. Has a lean lower body. Will need to add muscle to his frame at the next level. Displays terrific balance, especially after contact. Has the ability to absorb hits and keep going.

Passing Game: Effective out of the backfield as a pass catcher. Uses his hands more often than his body to reel the ball in. Aggressive in pass protection. Shows good pop on contact and sticks with him man until the whistle. Not so great when cut blocking. Needs to work on keeping his head and eyes up when lunging at his target. Will miss because of this technique flaw.

Intangibles: 2010 All Big East selection. 2010 team captain. Carries tripled in 2010 and he took advantage of the opportunity. Put up amazing numbers in 2010 that rival any running back in the nation (229 carries, 1,405 yards, 6.1 avg, 11 touchdowns). Displays outstanding character, as coaches rave about his personality.

Overall Stock: Many people say the draft is weak when it comes to Running Backs. When I look at a guy like Balil Powell, I canít disagree more. There may not be many Running Backs that warrant a first round selection, but there are many guys like Powell that will be quality guys for teams. The good thing about Powell is that he has a good combination of things that teams look for ó short area speed, balance, vision, and toughness. The thing hindering his draft status is that heís a one year guy. Prior to the 2010 season, he didnít have much production. Scouts and coaches will be weary of a one-hit wonder. This may cause him to drop towards the tail end of the draft. Nonetheless, the team that takes a chance on Powell may have themselves a diamond in the rough. Had he played for a bigger school and got more carries, he may be known as a top three round guy.

NFL Comparison: Fred Jackson

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    My understanding of a Homer is a stupid, non fully functioning thought process, stubborn AMerican male.

This is what I found online:

Homer

July 27, 2007 Urban Word of the Day

1. American bonehead.

2. Pull a Homer: to succeed despite idiocy.

"Looks like I just pulled a Homer!"
    - Magic Johnson, after slipping on water and having the ball fly out of his hands, off a ref's head, and into the basket for the game winning three pointer.

I see what you mean, triumphs in the end. Homer is not accurate then, it just seemed a nice way to say idiot

While I don't think people were wrong to question and/or hate the pick, there's no denying that it's great to hear he looks like a different man this year.

RBs (even rookies) typically show you more than what we saw from Powell last year in limited action, but if he's ready to contribute some serious snaps now then it was worth the wait.

Hall Of Fame
    My understanding of a Homer is a stupid, non fully functioning thought process, stubborn AMerican male.

Homer

1. American bonehead.

- Magic Johnson, after slipping on water and having the ball fly out of his hands, off a ref's head, and into the basket for the game winning three pointer.

I see what you mean, triumphs in the end. Homer is not accurate then, it just seemed a nice way to say idiot
    Generally, a homer agrees with everything their said team does, and does not find fault in their decisions.

Anyway, I agree about Powell so far. You can never have too many quality RBs. So far Rex has drafted one every year since he has been here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Generally, a homer agrees with everything their said team does, and does not find fault in their decisions.
    I'd add shallow, superficial thinking; someone who goes with the herd; a collaborator.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I'd add shallow, superficial thinking; someone who goes with the herd; a collaborator.
    Also, one who uses too many stats to try to make their point.

Homer

1. American bonehead.

All Pro
    This thread would have a lot more credibility if it had been made before TC started.

I assure you, those of us who doubted Powell are thrilled with the glowing reports we're getting of his play.

Remember Bilal Powell isn't Colin Powell. Wishful thinking...I hope I'm wrong about him & he contributes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Remember Bilal Powell isn't Colin Powell. Wishful thinking...I hope I'm wrong about him & he contributes!
    A powerful point.

On the plus side, at least he's not India People, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    This thread would have a lot more credibility if it had been made before TC started.

I assure you, those of us who doubted Powell are thrilled with the glowing reports we're getting of his play.

Before training camp this year there was no evidence that Powell had any talent at all. In fact, given his sparse play his first season, there was plenty of reason to doubt his ability. The coaching staff sure didn't have a lot of confidence in him. RB generally contribute right away and Powell never saw the field.

I'd love to be wrong about the kid. It would be great to have another talented RB in the backfield this season.

I'm very interested to see how Powell and Terence Ganaway perform the remainder of camp and preseason. If they both show enough promise, Joe McKnight could be the odd man out.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I'm very interested to see how Powell and Terence Ganaway perform the remainder of camp and preseason. If they both show enough promise, Joe McKnight could be the odd man out.
    1) I like Joe McKnight.

That said, while I agree that Powell might surpass him on the depth chart, NO WAY the Jets just flat out cut McKnight. His speed is a HUGE asset that this team values highly.

The mere fact that McKnight has been mentioned by Rex as a possible CB, plays defensive special teams, and has juke moves that no one else on the teams has, keeps him safe. The team seems committed to finding a way to utilize his lethal speed.

In the G&W scrimmage, Powell caught a TD and had no turnovers, McKnight had the only respectable run gain and then fumbled it. There'll be a change in the depth chart, but I can't see Powell as our #2 and 3rd down back. McKnight is a special teams speed demon, and Ganaway to the PS.

That was my first thought as well.

"Doubters" maybe.

"Impatient Fans" definitely.

But "Homers"?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Shouldn't all the STUPID HOMERS on this board be the ones calling him a sleeper?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

It is always interesting when people start threads like this after a player has been talked up in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It is always interesting when people start threads like this after a player has been talked up in camp.
    "FT" Syndrome.

1. Event occurs.

2. Claim you knew it would all the time.

3. Claim credit as brilliant prognosticator and football mind.