Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to the best....

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You should think about how your posts are closing the doors for others in our society. tisk tisk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAg2YnW9nI

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    In my book, they are finally starting today with Track & Field!
    I like the swimming a lot (I swim alot), think it's incredibly exciting when they are heading down the stretch reaching for that wall.

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I like the swimming a lot (I swim alot), think it's incredibly exciting when they are heading down the stretch reaching for that wall.

_
    agreed

I have to admit I loved seeing Ryan Lochte fizzle out after the cockiness he displayed following his victory in the 400m individual medley. He may be a nice guy, but he came across as a pompous ass during his interview with NBC.
    Last edited by simijet; 08-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    who is that girl?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post

Opening up yet another door of opportunity for others...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...nan/56719036/1
    I agree.

Its great how Michael Phelps, greatest Olympian of all time, is encouraging youth to get involved in athletics.

All Pro

Opening up yet another door of opportunity for others...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...nan/56719036/1

What did she do, get branded?

Jets Insider VIP

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    What did she do, get branded?
    Ouch.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Congrats to Gabby, she was fantastic and represented America with grace.

The "first African-American blah, blah . . . " means nothing, there is no significance. We have had black girls on our gymnastics team before. Dominique Dawes who was one of our best ever comes to mind. Need to stop making a big deal out of what race someone is when they do something. Race is not a handicap, she is just as capable as others. Her race does not make her special, her talent does. I would rather refer to her as an American gymnast than African-American gymnast. Good for her. Love to see America beat the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

The "first African-American blah, blah . . . " means nothing, there is no significance. We have had black girls on our gymnastics team before. Dominique Dawes who was one of our best ever comes to mind. Need to stop making a big deal out of what race someone is when they do something. Race is not a handicap, she is just as capable as others. Her race does not make her special, her talent does. I would rather refer to her as an American gymnast than African-American gymnast. Good for her. Love to see America beat the Russians.
    cant those people leave us crackers a few sports where we can win?

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    On a related note, did anyone see the brouhaha NBC got started following this gold medal story?

Bob Costas is commenting on it from his anchor chair... all's right in the world, heartwarming story, etc., then they go to commercial. The commercial that they show - immediately after praising an African-American young gymnast - is of a monkey doing gymnastics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Probably best not to use that turn of phrase when discussing this topic.

Just say'in.

On Topic, congrats to her for her Gold Medal win. Can the Olympics please please be over now?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Beer Olympics?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    LOL.

We have swimming. And the yellow people have diving.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and this should pretty much be the definitive word on this subject, well done

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    In my book, they are finally starting today with Track & Field!
    Ehhhh to a certain extent, but I agree... the boxing and swimming has been pretty good though...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Am I wrong though?

Jackie Robinson opened a door of opportunity.

This girl put in the work, is super talented, and deserves a bunch of praise. She hasn't opened any doors in the quest for racial equality.

Lets call this for what it is.
    No, you are 1000% spot on.

If the OP wanted to truly do a "Shout Out" to the BEST, he would have done so for the greatest Olympian in the history of the Modern Olympics.

But that doesn't fit with his agenda.

Mods, please move to the Badminton Forum.

_
    stokes STFU when full-size men talking... you don't know what my "agenda" is so fall back or be a real man and ask me what I mean rather than assuming... By the way if i wanted to comment on Phelps I would have titled the thread Shout Out to the "Greatest"... Phelps did what WE ALL KNEW HE COULD/WOULD DO(proved it the last 2 Olympics)... I could have mentioned the blasting the Men's/Women's basketball team is dishing out, but that's not newsworthy to me... We expect them to do these things... you think i'm making this a topic of racial equality, which indeed I'm not, so it makes me think what your "agenda" really is... I can't say im surprised though...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1736867.html
    When asked what touched her heart the most, Dawes responded that it was the generation of young kids looking up to Douglas in the same way they did with her. "That's what's so touching," she said "As I was able to help Gabby, now she's going to help a whole other generation of young girls and boys, African Americans, Hispanics, other minorities to see the sport of gymnastics as an opportunity for them to excel."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    and this should pretty much be the definitive word on this subject, well done
    Should be, but won't be.

Hall Of Fame

Very well said.

As far as I'm concerned, when we elected a black man as the President of the United states, every door that ever needed to be opened for African Americans was opened.

There is no bigger job, no bigger opportunity, no bigger statement about where America is with respect to "opening doors" for African American than that.

How about from now on everyone just calls them "Americans".

_

Hall Of Fame

stokes STFU when full-size men talking...
    You mad bro?

_

Hall Of Fame
    What we should be focusing on is why that commie b*tch got Bronze over our girl even though she fell of the beam. That **** cray.

It's the damn olympics. She's an American. White/black or blue. Who cares? And Ruby please don't apologize for that. It's amazing how many people have to feel sorry for doing something by accident due to NOT being racist.