Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is realistic for Hill this year?

Hall Of Fame

What is realistic for Hill this year?

So it appears that the Jets are going to lean on Hill to be the #2 WR this year. So assuming he stays healthy and plays out a full season, what would be an acceptable year for him? I look at a guy like Torry Smith for the Ravens as a comparable player. Both 2nd round guys, tall and fast. Granted Smith had a lot more experience in college, but they are similar skill set. Smith after a slow start put up 50 rec 841 yards 7 TDs. The Ravens were not a pass heavy offense and are similar in their basic philosophies. I would take that kind of year from Hill in a heart beat. Do any of you think that is unrealistic??

40 receptions would be great.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So it appears that the Jets are going to lean on Hill to be the #2 WR this year. So assuming he stays healthy and plays out a full season, what would be an acceptable year for him? I look at a guy like Torry Smith for the Ravens as a comparable player. Both 2nd round guys, tall and fast. Granted Smith had a lot more experience in college, but they are similar skill set. Smith after a slow start put up 50 rec 841 yards 7 TDs. The Ravens were not a pass heavy offense and are similar in their basic philosophies. I would take that kind of year from Hill in a heart beat. Do any of you think that is unrealistic??
    I think it's realistic to think he'll match the number of catches Plax had last year (40s?) but probably not the 8 TDs. I think he'll probably end up around 40-520-5TD if he holds onto the #2 role. I expect Holmes will be round 60 catches, and that Keller and Kerley will be seeing their fair share of targets as well

...numbers are... ah... i'd just like to see clutchiness...and he becomes a solid blocker...

Greg Little is also an interesting comparison as he was relatively "raw" since he didnt play his senior year and he had 61 for 700 yards last season, although he was really the browns only option.

Given our offense and the fact that I think holmes could have a big year, i think 40-45 catches for 5-600 yards and 4 tds would be considered pretty successful.

I do think Hill's 2 biggest areas of contribution will be deep sideline shots and clearing out a safety for holmes and hopefully kerley to operate underneath.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Greg Little is also an interesting comparison as he was relatively "raw" since he didnt play his senior year and he had 61 for 700 yards last season, although he was really the browns only option.

Given our offense and the fact that I think holmes could have a big year, i think 40-45 catches for 5-600 yards and 4 tds would be considered pretty successful.

I do think Hill's 2 biggest areas of contribution will be deep sideline shots and clearing out a safety for holmes and hopefully kerley to operate underneath.
    Is 40 catches 550 yards a good year for the #2WR ??

Given Hill's college experience, our offensive philosophy and the fact that he is a rookie, I think definitely yes.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Given Hill's college experience, our offensive philosophy and the fact that he is a rookie, I think definitely yes.
    And considering our #1 reciever is a horrible over-rated ballhog yes.

Banned
    I think his YPC will be in the 15-16 range.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I think his YPC will be in the 15-16 range.
    If he is only going to catch around 40 balls then he better have a high YPC. I tend to think if he is going to be playing a whole season, that 40 catches is a little on the low side to be considered a good season.

The good thing about Hill is that even if he is not getting as many balls as we would like he is supposedly a very good blocker, used to getting his nose dirty ion a run 1st offense. (Good thing I didn't go with the spell checker suggestion of 'suppository' when I spelled supposedly wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    I think absolutely, and I mean absolutely best case scenario is Torrey Smith in Baltimore last year.

Similar body, similar skill set, considered raw etc.

Smith ran pretty much go routes and did pretty well. I dont think Hill can get that yardage total, but I think the Jets will try and use him the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I think absolutely, and I mean absolutely best case scenario is Torrey Smith in Baltimore last year.

Smith ran pretty much go routes and did pretty well. I dont think Hill can get that yardage total, but I think the Jets will try and use him the same way.
    Yeah I would expect a lot of go routes and deep balls to keep the safeties from creeping up. Teams are going to want to stack the box against us

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

That was kind of my thinking when looking at last years rookie WRs. Boldin was their #1 and they also had Pitta/Dickson at TE. Also similar run first offenses.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    if only there was someone who had some stats for this thread.

All Pro
    For a rookie on a run first team, yes.

Also, I think keller is really Sanchez's #2 priority, so Hill is more like a #3.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    if only there was someone who had some stats for this thread.
    We are currently enjoying a stat free weekend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We are currently enjoying a stat free weekend.

and how relaxing it is..

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Make it through alive.

Hall Of Fame
    I would say 40/600/5. But I am not going to call him a bust if he doesn't reach those numbers. As long as there is improvement throughout the season and he blocks well I will be more than happy. Hill will be learning on the job.