Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 116

Thread: Coples is...

  1. #41
    @SethWalder Disappointment so far. More or less invisible. RT @JAYTARABOKIJA: @SethWalder how is Coples doing?

    @RossTuckerNFL Jets 1st Rd pick DE Quinton Coples needs some work as run defender. Needs to be quicker off ball & better hand placement.

  2. #42
    We're being "Punk'd", right?

    This kid has not played a down in the NFL yet.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    that's hysterical. I never saw that one before. Classic.

    here you go:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LsvwmgJ7I
    Thank you. I miss Bobby. Wasn't even a fan of College Basketball but he was my favorite coach of any sport. He always made me laugh.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Penny Coles...where is Coples going to be dumped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Wow Locke! you are right he is a rookie...comment on what he brings to the team???
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Cmart I expect much more from you given you have chosen a Hall of Famer Curtis Martin as your name & need to honor him. Now lets here your insight....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    DDNYjets...

    Yes Coples is Rex's project. Can Rex make him into a sacking machine!!!?
    Am I the only one that picks up on a Kelly vibe from the phrasing of these posts?






    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGO0w...eature=related

  5. #45
    It's to early to tell, but The studs ( LT, Peppers, Ware, etc.) stand out from the beginning.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,803

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    a. a bust
    b. lazy
    c. Vernon Gholston II
    d. a sacking machine
    e. overrated
    f. underrated
    g. none of the above...________fill in the blank
    g: Coples is a young guy trying to learn a complex defensive scheme. He has had all of 6 training days and the JI negative nannies are ready to write him off! How about we give him some time to develop before we proclaim him to be another Gholston etc! Totally ridiculous reaction by some on this baord!

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,803
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    by the way if people want to feel better about Quinton Coples, go look up how Shea McClellan is doing in Bears camp. I'll save you some time, it's not good. Coples may not be dominating but he's not embarrassing himself either.
    Thank you bit. After 6 practices in a complex scheme, Coples is still "thinking" before he reacts. That will soon change and we will see a very good player. Last year the JI negative nannies were ready to get all over Wilkerson at this time. He did OK during the season and now looks even better! Lets give Coples some time to learn and get some NFL experience. I expect that some of the negative nannies will be bemoaning the story line 3 years from now that Coples was lazy in college. LOL It never ends around here!

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Thank you bit. After 6 practices in a complex scheme, Coples is still "thinking" before he reacts. That will soon change and we will see a very good player. Last year the JI negative nannies were ready to get all over Wilkerson at this time. He did OK during the season and now looks even better! Lets give Coples some time to learn and get some NFL experience. I expect that some of the negative nannies will be bemoaning the story line 3 years from now that Coples was lazy in college. LOL It never ends around here!
    Rubbish.

    There was no such negative reaction to Wilkerson last year. The news and initial impressions for him were good right off the bat for BECAUSE HE WAS MAKING PLAYS. Therefore there was no "non-news" to be negative about.

    Kenrick Ellis got off to a slow start last year and was extremely raw. He was not a first round pick however and so there was more of an acceptance that it might take a few years for him.

  9. #49
    It's disappointing that he has not looked great so far if you ask me. Heck most people were more than happy to extol his virtues when he was looking good in rookie camp. He was out 1st round pick and his athleticism should carry him far, our oline is not some unstoppable juggernaught.

    He's been a disappointment so far and there is nothing terribly wrong with that at this point but the team and fans are not going to have the patience with this dude that was given to gholbust. If nothing else at all he had better be able to rush the passer right out of the blocks.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    g: Coples is a young guy trying to learn a complex defensive scheme. He has had all of 6 training days and the JI negative nannies are ready to write him off! How about we give him some time to develop before we proclaim him to be another Gholston etc! Totally ridiculous reaction by some on this baord!
    *gong #2*

    Yes it is a complex scheme and yes they do not expect him to learn it all at once. However if he is put in there on obvious pass rushing downs and told to just go get the QB and if all of this is coming against the offensive number 2's, number 3's and UDFAs then yes, we expect to hear that he is getting to the QB every now and then, making a tackle for a loss here or there or at least doing something to get himself noticed.

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    *gong #2*

    Yes it is a complex scheme and yes they do not expect him to learn it all at once. However if he is put in there on obvious pass rushing downs and told to just go get the QB and if all of this is coming against the offensive number 2's, number 3's and UDFAs then yes, we expect to hear that he is getting to the QB every now and then, making a tackle for a loss here or there or at least doing something to get himself noticed.
    The names I keep hearing that are getting to the QB are Maybin and Sapp, both OLBs. That would be consistent with the type of defense employed by the Jets, which places the pass rush of the DEs secondary to the job of setting the edge for said OLBs.

    And please, could everyone drop "the Jets don't play a true 3-4 anymore, it's a hybrid 4-3" bunk? For all intents and purposes, they still do. And Coples will be just fine, he just needs time. And I say that as a fan who wasn't thrilled with the pick.

  12. #52
    Give the kid some more time...


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Rubbish.

    There was no such negative reaction to Wilkerson last year. The news and initial impressions for him were good right off the bat for BECAUSE HE WAS MAKING PLAYS. Therefore there was no "non-news" to be negative about.

    Kenrick Ellis got off to a slow start last year and was extremely raw. He was not a first round pick however and so there was more of an acceptance that it might take a few years for him.
    I kind of remember a few people labeling Wilk a bust early on.. but not to the extreme we see now for Coples. I guess you'd have to look in the archives for verification, but I'm pretty sure it happened. Which is not to be unexpected around here.

  14. #54
    Meanwhile, out in SD, Melvin Ingram is tearing it up.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Six moronic choices and four are negative.

    SOJF's suck.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It's disappointing that he has not looked great so far if you ask me. Heck most people were more than happy to extol his virtues when he was looking good in rookie camp. He was out 1st round pick and his athleticism should carry him far, our oline is not some unstoppable juggernaught.

    He's been a disappointment so far and there is nothing terribly wrong with that at this point but the team and fans are not going to have the patience with this dude that was given to gholbust. If nothing else at all he had better be able to rush the passer right out of the blocks.
    LOL, nothing more

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Meanwhile, out in SD, Melvin Ingram is tearing it up.
    Is he?

    I actually went onto the chargers board to see if there was anything there, but didnt see any threads about him.

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,702
    Reading this thread has been beyond laughable. I posted the below
    comment in another thread that was ripping the offense today:


    - Evaluating a player based on a 140 character comment by a person who
    really isn't watching practice is ridiculous. Excluding Vrentas, the rest of
    the media "flocks" together chit-chats among themselves and every now
    and then "tweets" and in depth evaluation (yeah right). Be careful on
    how much stock you put into what you are reading because they never
    give you the full context of what's going on


    So claiming "bust status" for Coples based on someone who is only up in
    Cortland to count how many times Tebow adjusts his jock is retarded. I'll
    say one thing based on my observations. The sacks Maybin & Sapp were
    getting when I was up there were from Wilkerson and Coples playing DT
    in a 4 man front and pushing the middle of the OLine so Maybin & Sapp
    could clean up. So you choose who to believe

  19. #59
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,952
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Meanwhile, out in SD, Melvin Ingram is tearing it up.
    I refresh Rotoworld hourly.

    I don't think I have seen one post about him.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I kind of remember a few people labeling Wilk a bust early on.. but not to the extreme we see now for Coples. I guess you'd have to look in the archives for verification, but I'm pretty sure it happened. Which is not to be unexpected around here.
    Possibly DCat but I don't remember it that way. Wilk was not brought in to get pressure on the passer and so therefore there was never any expectation that he would do that nor any disappointment when he didn't flash in that regard.

    In any event if Kentucky Jet is asserting that where were such threads calling him a bust last year then I think he needs to find those threads because I do not remember anything of the kind.

    #1 picks are supposed to do something noteworthy every now and again. That is really all that most of us are saying here.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us