Thread: Antonio Allen has had a huge camp so far...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Antonio Allen has had a huge camp so far...

Proving to be perhaps more than just a box safety. When you look at his highlights from S.C, you see an aggresive player with a knack for creating turnovers, he looks like a football player to me, not just an athlete.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I loved the pick when we got him....long arms, and excelled vs the TE.

More importantly, I personally think NFL defenses need to move more towards hybrid LB/safeties to combat the "spread" offenses that are being run, and allen is perfect for that as he played a hybrid spot at SC.

Look at what TCU has done in college defensively playing the 4-2-5 defense....that is where the NFL game is going, and I honestly feel that the moves we have made exemplify a move towards that type of defense. Allen, bell, landry, all can play in the box and also cover. Sapp, Demario and Dowtin are all very fast, can cover, but can also play sideline to sideline and fill vs the run.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, let's see what he does come live.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    SLEEPER!!! Dont sleep on him thou.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread. Not getting enough love so far. Hope he keeps it up in preseason.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry Rhodes with non gheyness?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Kerry Rhodes with non gheyness?
    Doesn't have nearly the range, athletic ability, or cover skills that Rhodes possesses.

Rhodes was a pu$$y, but in retrospect, he's the exact kind of safety that this defense needs right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Proving to be perhaps more than just a box safety. When you look at his highlights from S.C, you see an aggresive player with a knack for creating turnovers, he looks like a football player to me, not just an athlete.
    Antonio will prove to be a steal in the 7th round. This guy is vastly talented and is a hitter! He plays the run about as well as any safety we currently have including Landry. Its what he is showing against the pass that is eye opening! I think you nailed it when you said he is a football player not just an athlete. To add, he is a willing football player always willing to do what it takes to win! The secondary will be very much improved this year : Bell. Landry, Allen, will make a difference! I just wonder if cutting Eric Smith's playing time drastically will really benefit the team a smuch as Rex says. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Posted this in a practice thread earlier in the week regarding AAllen

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I liked him, as did Pat Kirwan..He said he was the steal of the draft...

The concern was he didn't play a "true" safety position in college more of a hybrid LB/S and there were concerns he couldnt cover from a S position..Also his 40 wasn't eye popping

Kirwan said as far back as the Sr Bowl that he could cover..He watched him during drills.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I loved the pick when we got him....long arms, and excelled vs the TE.

More importantly, I personally think NFL defenses need to move more towards hybrid LB/safeties to combat the "spread" offenses that are being run, and allen is perfect for that as he played a hybrid spot at SC.

Look at what TCU has done in college defensively playing the 4-2-5 defense....that is where the NFL game is going, and I honestly feel that the moves we have made exemplify a move towards that type of defense. Allen, bell, landry, all can play in the box and also cover. Sapp, Demario and Dowtin are all very fast, can cover, but can also play sideline to sideline and fill vs the run.
    Great point. Against teams like the Patriots, you don't need LBs on the field for most of the game. Guys like Landry, E. Smitty, Bell and Allen are the kind of guys we need to match up. Put the big safeties at LB, and maybe Davis if he's the real deal. I loved what Rex did with Smith in playoff win vs. Pats 2 years ago. We need more of that. I think te Pats are going to try to really mess with people going with 3 TE sets with no RB. It's tough to matchup with because the 3 TEs are great receivers. If you run Nickel or Dine, they will motion Hernandez back to RB and run it. Going with a bunch of big safeties at LB would be a nice solution for this among other things.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never understood why he slid to the 7th--I was pretty shocked when we got him there.

He was touted as a 3rd or 4th rounder pre-draft.

_

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I am getting very, very excited about this defense. If we can get unexpected contributions from guys like Allen and Lankster, and this D-Line is what I think it will be, Rex and Mike can become mad scientists with this crew. I have high hopes for Demario Davis as well. Can't wait.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I follow SC football as much as the Jets, and just strictly playing in the SEC, Antonio Allen was as big a playmaker as Stephon Gilmore (10th overall) or Melvin Ingram (18th overall)......He pretty much could do it all and was constantly making big plays at the right time...

I really think we got a steal here, and it's no surprise to me that he looks good so far.....He was a second team All-American and first team All-SEC

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I follow SC football as much as the Jets, and just strictly playing in the SEC, Antonio Allen was as big a playmaker as Stephon Gilmore (10th overall) or Melvin Ingram (18th overall)......He pretty much could do it all and was constantly making big plays at the right time...

I really think we got a steal here, and it's no surprise to me that he looks good so far.....He was a second team All-American and first team All-SEC
    I don't follow college football like you, so this kind of endorsement is music to my ears. Problem is, he only graded out in the 3rd/4th round, so while he may be a steal I'm not expecting anything close to the guys you mentioned.

Apparently he only fell because he didn't have a "true" position. If Rex can prove his moniker of "best DC" then we should be able to put the guy in a position to maximize his strengths, which added to all the other talent on that side of the ball should only make us that much stronger than last year's squad . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember we chatted about him pre-draft and I think the reason he slid was due to the fact he was kind of a tweener and most NFL teams were unsure of his true position in the league.

At least I have Ricky Sapp to balance out Antonio Allen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I don't follow college football like you, so this kind of endorsement is music to my ears. Problem is, he only graded out in the 3rd/4th round, so while he may be a steal I'm not expecting anything close to the guys you mentioned.

Apparently he only fell because he didn't have a "true" position. If Rex can prove his moniker of "best DC" then we should be able to put the guy in a position to maximize his strengths, which added to all the other talent on that side of the ball should only make us that much stronger than last year's squad . . .
    I get what you're saying, but Gilmore is a CB and Ingram is a Passrusher......Of course they would be graded higher initally. A 3rd round graded safety is pretty solid.

I'm not arguing that Allen is the same prospect as those 2, just by impact on SC's defense, he was just as, if not more important.

He played a tweener position and didn't run a great 40.....But strictly football ability, I really don't know of any real weakness he had.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I remember we chatted about him pre-draft and I think the reason he slid was due to the fact he was kind of a tweener and most NFL teams were unsure of his true position in the league.

At least I have Ricky Sapp to balance out Antonio Allen.
    I agree.....I hope Sapp lights it up for us man, hes certainly got the talent to do so

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.....I hope Sapp lights it up for us man, hes certainly got the talent to do so
    I give him credit, he looks big now, the best shape I have seen him in. He was never known to be a hard worker at Clemson, if he still has his speed at this size, he could be pretty useful.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get what you're saying, but Gilmore is a CB and Ingram is a Passrusher......Of course they would be graded higher initally. A 3rd round graded safety is pretty solid.

I'm not arguing that Allen is the same prospect as those 2, just by impact on SC's defense, he was just as, if not more important.

He played a tweener position and didn't run a great 40.....But strictly football ability, I really don't know of any real weakness he had.
    King since you are a gamecock/jets fan can you put an Antonio Allen gif in you place of the other one.