Thread: Article: How to Make This Tebow Idea Work

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Article: How to Make This Tebow Idea Work

Pretty good article. I think Mark and Tim will work out pretty well together.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...652658926.html

By MIKE SIELSKI

CORTLAND, N.Y.—Before his senior season at the University of Florida, Chris Leak pulled aside the Gators' new backup quarterback, a freshman named Tim Tebow, for a private conversation at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The topic of this talk had a direct bearing on the team's fortunes. Coach Urban Meyer liked to use a two-quarterback system—he had done so previously at Bowling Green and Utah—and his plan for the 2006 season was clear-cut. Leak would take most of the snaps, and Tebow would replace him in short-yardage situations and for a few unorthodox plays. Still, Leak wanted to make certain that he and Tebow understood and accepted their respective responsibilities in the offense.

He needn't have worried: Florida went 13-1, winning a national championship and providing a template for the Jets to follow six years later in their attempt to have Tebow share playing time with Mark Sanchez.

For all of the concern over whether the Jets' strategy will work, it is worth noting that Tebow has been here once before—and that the experiment in Gainesville, according to Leak, was a smashing success.

"You have to have unselfish men who are mature enough to handle that situation," he said. "We knew our roles and did our jobs."

Meyer and the Gators never wavered from their original approach: Leak took close to 90% of the offense's snaps, according to Dan Mullen, who was the Gators' offensive coordinator at the time, and he completed more than 63% of his passes for 2,942 yards and 23 touchdowns. Tebow attempted just 33 passes but rushed for 469 yards and eight touchdowns, averaging more than five yards a carry.

"Being in those big plays, I could realize what those moments were like," Tebow said. "When I came back my sophomore year, I felt like I was a lot more prepared and ready to go."

The task for the Jets in making a similar arrangement work, particularly amid the crush of public attention that Tebow now commands, seems far more daunting. More than 80 credentialed media members were on hand last week just to watch him move into his dorm room here on the SUNY Cortland campus, and Tebow is the first quarterback who has posed a plausible threat to Sanchez's starting job.

And then there is the tactical challenge of using Tebow. Even though the Jets hired Tony Sparano as their offensive coordinator in part because of his effective use of the "Wildcat" offense when he was the Miami Dolphins' head coach, not every team has seen the same benefits from that attack, which uses the quarterback as a runner.

In 2009, the Philadelphia Eagles signed Michael Vick for the purpose of implementing the Wildcat. But Vick was generally unproductive in the formation, and quarterback Donovan McNabb said the repeated substitutions disrupted the rhythm and timing of the team's offense. Through a spokesman, McNabb declined to comment for this story.

"You would hope that it would be pretty easy," said Mullen, now the coach at Mississippi State. "If it becomes an issue, you have much bigger problems than just rotating in because you have guys who put themselves ahead of the team."

Throughout training camp, Jets coach Rex Ryan has insisted that Sanchez is and will be the team's starting quarterback, but Thursday's practice offered the first bona fide insight into how the Jets will use Tebow, who provides a power-running dimension that Sanchez doesn't.

Before Tebow's first play during goal-line drills, Ryan shouted, "Tebow is live," reminding the defenders they were permitted to tackle the quarterback—usually a no-no. Tebow then faked a handoff and ran a bootleg around left end for an easy touchdown. The implication of the play was obvious: The closer the Jets get to either a first-down marker or the goal line, the more likely it is that Tebow will be under center.

After practice, Sanchez said he wouldn't mind ceding control of the Jets' offense to Tebow in such situations: "We really are in the business of winning, and we have to be selfless, myself included."

As a team leader, a quarterback always wants to finish off a potential scoring drive, Leak said, and in 2006, there were times he wished he weren't on the sideline in favor of Tebow. "But you have to understand the situation," said Leak, who now plays for the Orlando Predators in the Arena Football League, "and deal with it appropriately."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark = Starter
    Tim = Backup

That's how it works, and it's pretty simple.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Mark = Starter
    Tim = Backup

Wow, stunningly brilliant. How on earth did you ever figure that out ? I mean, no one else seems to be aware of that, just you.

man, it's a damned good thing that you are here to explain it to everyone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Wow, stunningly brilliant. How on earth did you ever figure that out ? I mean, no one else seems to be aware of that, just you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got things kind of farked up there pal as I'm not upset at all.

Rather, I'm laughing that you felt compelled to jump right in and tell everybody the same thing Rex and Co have been saying since the trade.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark = Starter
    Tim = Backup

As of right now, sure.

But by week 6 or 7, who knows?

If Sanchez gets off to a bad start and we find ourselves in a 1-4 or 2-5 hole, then I think it's almost guaranteed that Tebow will take over the reigns at QB. I personally hope that I never have to see that day, but it's certainly possible.

Our first 5 games are against Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Miami, San Francisco, and Houston.

All of those teams will feature some damn good defenses and are going to get after the QB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who thinks that Tebow was simply brought in to play the role of personal protector on the punt team and run 2-3 wildcat plays a game is kidding themselves.

You don't trade draft picks for the most polarizing figure in sports just to fill such a menial role. Any rational football fan should realize that.

He was brought in to light a fire under Sanchez and if Mark falters, Tebow will bridge the gap to another QB. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got things kind of farked up there pal as I'm not upset at all.

Rather, I'm laughing that you felt compelled to jump right in and tell everybody the same thing Rex and Co have been saying since the trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You weren't aware for months.

And admit it you still believe that Tim can and should be given the starting job if he plays well this preseason.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You weren't aware for months.

And admit it you still believe that Tim can and should be given the starting job if he plays well this preseason.
    I wasn't aware for months ?

Hmmm, let's look at this post from May 15th:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=253

I'll preface this by saying that I want Sanchez to start, but the "blueprint" for defending Tebow is actually due to Mike McCoy's very limited knowledge and terrible play calling.
    Or this one from April 26th:

Again, an apparent problem with comprehension. Please go back and find out where I have said ANYTHING that would indicate that I hate Sanchez or even that I think Tebow is a better QB/passer RIGHT NOW.

Guess what ? You won't find either. Why is that ? Because I don't hate Sanchez, nor do I dislike him. To the contrary, I think he's a pretty good QB and could get better.

Furthermore, I think Sanchez SHOULD be the stater this year, and that Tebow should be the backup.

Or how about this reply in an exchange back on March 29th ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Sanchez played 1 year in college, he has played 3 years with the disfunctional Jets and has not had a losing season yet, Don't you think he deserves a little more time. What if he had the same 2 WR's to throw to back to back years, or maybe a good Offensive Cordinator. I guess he is washed up at 25, lets look at all the other Jet QB's who have made Back to Back championship games in there first 2 years in the league ? For that matter has it even been done before ?
    My reply :

I completely agree. Ironic thing is that many of the same logical arguments apply to Tebow as well. He's had 1 year of sitting on the pine and went through a coaching change mid season, then another change when Fox was brought in, then this past year under the tutelage of the great Mike McCoy, who was basically a first year play caller trying to run an offense that he had very little understanding of.

With that out of the way, I'd love to see what both Sanchez and Tebow can do under an OC who, from what I have gathered, actually knows what he is doing.

Sanchez will greatly benefit from a stronger run game as LBs won't be clogging up the defensive backfield as much, since they'll be trying to stop the run.
    Hmm, I agree that Sanchez deserves a little more time, and go on to say that he'll benefit from a stronger running game.

And here's a post from March 29th where I talk about Tebow being able to handle the WC "assignment" just fine:

What makes me think that Tebow can handle the assignment just fine is the FACT that he did this very thing when he was a freshman at Florida.

He was 22 of 33 for a comp % of 66.7, 358 yards, 5 TD's and 1 Int for a rating of 201.7 when coming in for Chris Leak.

This is to go along with 89 carries for 469 yards, an avg of 5.3 ypc and 8 TDs.

And that was in 14 games. I'll take 13 TDs in 14 games from Tebow in the WC.

I have felt (and argued) from the beginning that Sanchez should start, as he is the better QB right now. My defending of Tebow was just that, defending him against people who claimed that he was the worst QB ever, or that he would never be a good NFL QB.

Tell you what, want to make a wager on whether or not you can find a single post from me saying that Tebow should be the starter ?

Didn't think so.