Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

Thread: Baldinger thinks Sparano offense a joke!

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    441
    Post Thanks / Like

    Baldinger thinks Sparano offense a joke!

    We're doomed when a brilliant mind like Brian Baldinger is critical of the offense:



    More Preseason Hype: Baldinger Calls Sparano Offense a Joke
    By GEORGE BRETHERTON
    Don’t count the NFL Network’s Brian Baldinger as a fan of the Jets’ changes on offense.

    One day after President Obama chimed in on the state of the Jets quarterback situation, Baldinger tried to best him (or undercut him, depending on how you look at it).

    In an interview on Friday with WEEI sports radio in Boston, Baldinger declared the Patriots as this season’s default winner of the A.F.C. East. While some will not consider those views controversial, Baldinger added some acidic comments about the Jets’ newly installed offense. He focused on Tony Sparano, the new coordinator, and Tim Tebow, who was acquired in a trade with Denver.

    “I think Bill Belichick and the Patriots, privately, were like doing a little golf clap when they signed Tim Tebow and they signed Tony Sparano,” Baldinger said. “I don’t know what offense Tony Sparano is going to unleash, but I saw what he did in Miami, it was a joke.

    “They started like every year at basically 0-6.”

    Never mind that the Dolphins won the A.F.C. East in 2008 in Sparano’s first season as the Dolphins’ coach — we’ll get to the fact-checking part of Baldinger’s rant in a minute. Let’s continue as he moved on to target Tebow, dismissing him as less of a threat than Brad Smith, who ran the Jets’ Wildcat packages in 2009 and 2010 before he signed with Buffalo last year.

    Baldinger said: “If you think you are just going to throw Tim Tebow on the field and you’re of going to surprise people, you’re not going to surprise anybody. Brad Smith could give you an element of surprise when he was there. Brad Smith could line up at wide receiver and he was a legitimate threat.

    “I don’t think anybody is going to fear Tim Tebow coming on the field and go, ‘Oh my God, what are we going to do in short yardage now with Tim Tebow?’ You know what you’re going to do. He’s not a good thrower. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a good thrower. He’s 260 pounds now.

    “Fullbacks aren’t good passers, and that’s what Tim Tebow is.”

    It is impossible to fact-check Baldinger’s crystal ball. That will have to wait. But we can put a spotlight on his statements regarding Sparano’s record in Miami and regarding Tebow.

    1) The only season the Dolphins started 0-6 was in 2011, Sparano’s last in Miami.

    2) In 2008, the Dolphins’ offense committed an N.F.L.-low 13 turnovers as Miami won 11 of its final 14 games to win the A.F.C. East. The 13 turnovers set the N.F.L. record for the fewest in a 16-game season (the Giants also committed 13 in 2008), which has since been broken. The new record is 10, set by New England in 2010 and equalled by San Francisco last season.

    3) Baldinger seems to have forgotten the praise he heaped on Tebow for his play in the closing minutes of Denver’s 18-15 victory last season over Sparano’s Dolphins.

    You can watch that clip here, courtesy of NFL.com

    4) In two seasons in the N.F.L., Tebow has rushed for more yards (887 to 854) and more touchdowns (12 to 3) than Brad Smith has in six seasons.

    Extra Point Perhaps one can dismiss Baldinger’s comments as merely an attempt at attention-seeking. Or do you think he (and President Obama) have a point?

    .

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess for Baldinger, never let the facts get in the way of a good analysis.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,441
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is referencing that Patriots difficulty in pass defense and their ability to successfully defend Tebow. They dismantled the Broncos offense in the playoff game.

    I don't think our offense is going to scare many teams. But that doesn't matter. If we execute the plays we will be fine. Execute the plays, don't turn the ball over, run some PA, take shots downfield and play good defense and STs. It is a simple formula.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of these guys really have a bug up their ass, I wonder what Rex has said or done to annoy them.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think he is referencing that Patriots difficulty in pass defense and their ability to successfully defend Tebow. They dismantled the Broncos offense in the playoff game.

    I don't think our offense is going to scare many teams. But that doesn't matter. If we execute the plays we will be fine. Execute the plays, don't turn the ball over, run some PA, take shots downfield and play good defense and STs. It is a simple formula.
    + 1

    Play mistake free offense...and shut these jerks up...

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here I was looking for a breakdown of what Sparano did on offense. Why it was not viable on the NFL level. Go figure. The technical reasoning behind it is that Miami starts like 0-6 every year. Way to break it down in language we layman can understand. I guess he's the professional here, so I bow to his expertise. Well I can honestly say Baldinger's analysis is a joke.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    WEEI won't put you on the air unless you say what they want to hear. Worst Homers in the business.

    Sent from my LTEvo

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.
    I see where you're coming from, but I can honestly say I always respected what Sparano was able to do in Miami. Even last year the players didn't give up on him after their horrendous start (like ours did at 8-5).

    I'm not exactly an expert at evaluating NFL coaches, but I don't mind seeing what Sparano can bring to this team.

    And as an aside, if someone wants to rip him, they still gotta do better than "he was like 0-6 every year" . . .

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    The players not giving up on him has no bearing on how good he is at calling plays and getting the team into the endzone.

    I like the hire of sparano. But the guy spent the last 2 years fist pumping over field goals. Hes not exactly Bill Walsh here.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.
    +1

    I thought the guy was a clown. But since we signed him, there's really nothing left to do but fist pump along with him on first downs

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.
    big surprise there. Who is the Bills OC?

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,441
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.
    There is some truth to this.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    very much like the pres.

    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I guess for Baldinger, never let the facts get in the way of a good analysis.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its fashionable to rip the jets because that's what espn and nfl network tell you to do

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,677
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't entirely understand why everyone purely blames Sporano for the Dolphins offense. Do we all blame Rex for the Jets poor play on offense last season because i see a lot of hate for Brian Schottenheimer out there.

    i understand that Sporano is an offensive coach and Rex is not so that's the difference in the comparison but isn't it really on the offensive coordinator more than the head coach? In the case of schottenheimer i may blame his play calling more than the actual coordination of the offense and that's not really on the head coach.

    The only season i feel we have a right to judge Sporano as an OC is the only one he spent running an offense. His 1 season with the Cowboys as OC.

    That's just my opinion. Im not saying this was a good or bad hiring, quite frankly it really confused me when it happened but i'm willing to see what happens.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The players not giving up on him has no bearing on how good he is at calling plays and getting the team into the endzone.

    I like the hire of sparano. But the guy spent the last 2 years fist pumping over field goals. Hes not exactly Bill Walsh here.
    Agree to disagree.

    Two coaches can call the SAME EXACT play, and one will look like a genius, the other a fool -- simply based on whether it worked or not.

    Do I hope Sparano becomes Bill Walsh? Sure, why not, but I'm not holding my breath. I just think there is more talent on this team than they've shown recently and maybe a coach who gets in their face more and has more technical involvement with them will help bring that talent to the surface.

    We've already seen what happens when the players DON'T support the coach . . .

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Equally hilarious and ironic with the Baldinger article, Belichick and the Pats always had a tough time with the Sparano Dolphins, and the Dolphins upset them several times.

    Sparano comes from the same coaching tree Belichick does, and as some have already mentioned, Baldinger's analysis is a joke as the stats would suggest.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is that?

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The players not giving up on him has no bearing on how good he is at calling plays and getting the team into the endzone.

    I like the hire of sparano. But the guy spent the last 2 years fist pumping over field goals. Hes not exactly Bill Walsh here.
    True,but I was just so happy the Schitty era was over I didn't care who they hired

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us