Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 105

Thread: Baldinger thinks Sparano offense a joke!

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    i don't entirely understand why everyone purely blames Sporano for the Dolphins offense. Do we all blame Rex for the Jets poor play on offense last season because i see a lot of hate for Brian Schottenheimer out there.

    i understand that Sporano is an offensive coach and Rex is not so that's the difference in the comparison but isn't it really on the offensive coordinator more than the head coach? In the case of schottenheimer i may blame his play calling more than the actual coordination of the offense and that's not really on the head coach.

    The only season i feel we have a right to judge Sporano as an OC is the only one he spent running an offense. His 1 season with the Cowboys as OC.

    That's just my opinion. Im not saying this was a good or bad hiring, quite frankly it really confused me when it happened but i'm willing to see what happens.
    Why are you talking COMMON SENSE out here!!!

    You should be banned for sure

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    i don't entirely understand why everyone purely blames Sporano for the Dolphins offense. Do we all blame Rex for the Jets poor play on offense last season because i see a lot of hate for Brian Schottenheimer out there.

    i understand that Sporano is an offensive coach and Rex is not so that's the difference in the comparison but isn't it really on the offensive coordinator more than the head coach? In the case of schottenheimer i may blame his play calling more than the actual coordination of the offense and that's not really on the head coach.

    The only season i feel we have a right to judge Sporano as an OC is the only one he spent running an offense. His 1 season with the Cowboys as OC.

    That's just my opinion. Im not saying this was a good or bad hiring, quite frankly it really confused me when it happened but i'm willing to see what happens.
    His resume out of Dallas is incomplete as Payton ran the passing game, and Sparono the run game. How the hell Parcells made that work is beyond me.

    Sparano, by working under Parcells proved that he can subjugate his ego to Rex, which is a good thing when hiring a former HC to be a Co-od. However he did not bring his guys in from Miami so how he relates to other coaches who knows.

    Schotty got stale and the lockeroom and staff needed to be shaken up.

    I would have went with Ariens even though he hates Holmes. Both Ben and Sanchez are best out of the pocket on the move.
    Last edited by patman; 08-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Must Watch Link Baldinger breaking down Tebow Film

    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    I thought the guy was a clown. But since we signed him, there's really nothing left to do but fist pump along with him on first downs
    I kind of agree with this, the field goal fist-pumping was annoying ... but his team did play hard for him.

    Below is that link in the NY article on Tebow's game highlights against the Dolphins that did not appear in the OP's quote.


    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-drive-...eek-Tebow-time

  4. #24
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think he is referencing that Patriots difficulty in pass defense and their ability to successfully defend Tebow. They dismantled the Broncos offense in the playoff game.
    I agree with your statements of the Jets. Looking at Baldy's presentation, and what you wrote, I guess the editor wouldn't let hiim say what he wanted; or he just got stuck producing a poor piece. Not well thought out at all; I wonder if BB had to put these pieces together for each team.

    All the former players should be insulted at the idea of Tebow being an automtic threat; they just don't buy that type of thing. BB will do great pieces on the Jets if they prove him wrong; there are times (mid season) where he's excellent at his job imo.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,894
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is if the Bills signed Sparano as OC instead of us, we all would be laughing and making fun of the Bills for making such a horrible move.

    Not one of you would be saying,"Great hire by the bills. We will have trouble stopping a Tony Sparano offense."

    So if someone wants to bash Sparano as an OC, i get it.
    Agreed 1000%. We are turning into the NY Loserphins.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    His resume out of Dallas is incomplete as Payton ran the passing game, and Sparono the run game. How the hell Parcells made that work is beyond me.

    Sparano, by working under Parcells proved that he can subjugate his ego to Rex, which is a good thing when hiring a former HC to be a Co-od. However he did not bring his guys in from Miami so how he relates to other coaches who knows.

    Schotty got stale and the lockeroom and staff needed to be shaken up.

    I would have went with Ariens even though he hates Holmes. Both Ben and Sanchez are best out of the pocket on the move.
    They had a run game coordinator and a passing game coordinator, but Sparano called the plays during the game. They did not have two guys calling plays.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    His resume out of Dallas is incomplete as Payton ran the passing game, and Sparono the run game. How the hell Parcells made that work is beyond me.

    Sparano, by working under Parcells proved that he can subjugate his ego to Rex, which is a good thing when hiring a former HC to be a Co-od. However he did not bring his guys in from Miami so how he relates to other coaches who knows.

    Schotty got stale and the lockeroom and staff needed to be shaken up.

    I would have went with Ariens even though he hates Holmes. Both Ben and Sanchez are best out of the pocket on the move.
    Wrong and wrong.

    Sparano did the game calling, and he brought his OL coach from Miami with him to the Jets.

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    NET NET: Any analyst is going to use NEP as the gold standard of production in the AFCE. Just because the J E T S added wrinkles and tighter bungee cords won't mean anything until....<>

    I can live with that.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are all glad ****ty is gone. Only a month away from seeing how this will all play out. Cant wait!

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The players not giving up on him has no bearing on how good he is at calling plays and getting the team into the endzone.

    I like the hire of sparano. But the guy spent the last 2 years fist pumping over field goals. Hes not exactly Bill Walsh here.
    Of course it does. What do you think Santonio was upset at? If the coach is running a system, and calling plays that you think are idiotic, you're not going to by into it. Santonio has already bought into Sporano, and is singing his praises before training camp even started. The most important thing an OC can do is gain the players trust. How short sighted can you be? It's amazing that the less people know, the more confident in themselves they seem to be.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing to see here.

    The writer, George Bretherton, pretty much did all the work of exposing what a know-nothing clown Baldinger is.

    He was a marginal NFL player and now he's an even worse "ANALyst."

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tebow move was a very good one in my mind. I do totally share Baldingers worry about Sparano though. For a ground and pound guru miami did not have stellar rushing stats all the years he was there. Our D had better be up to the task this year.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Tebow move was a very good one in my mind. I do totally share Baldingers worry about Sparano though. For a ground and pound guru miami did not have stellar rushing stats all the years he was there. Our D had better be up to the task this year.
    Baldinger doesn't seem "worried" about anything.

    He justs wants some attention and threw some **** out there that wasn't true.

    It's one thing to express concern (I have my concerns as well), it's quite another to make **** up to suit your agenda (as he did).

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was good in Dallas, and not good in Miami. Maybe the players had something to do with it? Weirder things have happened.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He was good in Dallas, and not good in Miami. Maybe the players had something to do with it? Weirder things have happened.
    True. Until you actually see THIS offense with THESE players in real game situations, it is very hard to make a statement like "this offense is a joke".

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The players not giving up on him has no bearing on how good he is at calling plays and getting the team into the endzone.

    I like the hire of sparano. But the guy spent the last 2 years fist pumping over field goals. Hes not exactly Bill Walsh here.
    You contradict everything you say. Weren't you the guy who said Teblow and Sparano will bring back that offense and scoring from their college days?

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    7-9 here we come.

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know what offense Tony Sparano is going to unleash, but I saw what he did in Miami, it was a joke.

    “They started like every year at basically 0-6.


    1) The only season the Dolphins started 0-6 was in 2011, Sparano’s last in Miami.
    Dolphins started 0-7 in '11, 4-9 under Sparano when he got the boot.

    They started 0-2 and 2-4, finishing 11-5 in '08.

    Started 0-3 and 2-4, finishing 7-9 in '09.

    Started 2-0 and 3-3, finishing 7-9 in '10.

    His teams start out slow - from sucky to average - so Week One against Buffalo will be huge for us, followed by four tough games.

    Actually, 7 of our first 8 will be challenging.

    If we ride the storm to 4-4, our chances in the second half look pretty good.

  19. #39
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are legitimate questions regarding Sparano and our offense as a whole.

    People can jump for joy regarding Schitty getting canned all they want. Fact is, we hired an OC that doesn't really have any playcalling experience.

    Not to mention that we still have one of the most inconsistent, turnover prone QB's in the league, Wayne Hunter is still starting at RT, no experienced WR on the roster outside of Holmes, and we have no idea how our backfield is going to shake out.

    I don't see how anyone could be optimistic about this offense until they prove they can get it done on the field.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see what's wrong with being optimistic. It makes the moment I'm in better. Nothing wrong with that.

    I also choose to believe that Sanchez will improve significantly this year. Sure, I might be wrong. But those unhappy souls who choose to believe that he'll continue to be an inconsistent turnover machine might be wrong, too.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us