Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jets' Aaron Maybin seeking more playing time and more success in second season

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Umm, 20-12?

Have you been drinking?
    I meant 2010. My bad.

My pointy is simply...the only people who annoint REX as a great HC are himself and some of the fans.

He is a great DC, and yet to prove he is a great HC.

You really ready to put him in the same league with GREAT coaches???

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Listen to any sports radio either terrestrial or sirius. You'd think Rex's record was 0-48 and he was calling himself the greatest coach in the history of sports.
    He is a good HC, GREAT DC, as a HC probably 9 to 12 if we rank them but he has NO TRAITS of a GREAT HC yet. He is more in the Marty Shottenheimer/Norv Turner league as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Do we really think DeVito would be as good on another team?
    Love DeVito.

Every team has 3 to 4 players from that fit that mold. WR Steve Smith, on a Carolina radio program commented that almost 1/2 the league is Undrafted. What does that mean???? Well, Rex isn't coaching them all. Think of all the great/really good players from IA schools or who went undrafted. They do it without REX. Giving Rex all the credit is simply to simple.

How'd Rex's D finish last year?

Again GOOD COACH, I LIKE HIM, he's no Tom Landry or Bill Parcells. YET.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 08-06-2012 at 06:19 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This is a circle now. 24 unanswered points in 2 AFC games. We were under prepared, he never attended offensive meetings, he is barely able to articulate an idea with saying YOU KNOW, AND STUFF. My mother broke me of those habits in middle school.

he has more Pete Carroll in him than He does Parcells.
    This pittsburgh stuff is so appalling.

Did you guys watch the game?

Ok, so Rex had us "unprepared". There were 3 HUGE plays in the first half of that game, lets look at them.

3rd Down - Did we have the right coverage on to stop Pitts and get off the field...yes we did, unfortunately Cro took a Defensive PI penalty and kept the drive alive. Guess that is rex's fault.

Mendenhall's run - Did Rex have the right call on to have him completely stuffed in the backfield? YES - but he cant run out there and make the tackle too. We had mendenhall stopped cold, and he broke 3 tackles...Blame Bart, but that isnt Rex's fault.

Sanchez Sack - We shouldnt have been throwing in that situation, and ultimately that is Rex's fault. Guess he is never allowed to make an error on the sidelines.

Lastly, for everyone questioning Rex's ability to motivate, look at the Pats-Ravens game from 2009. First play, 80 yard TD run by Rice, next play, sack and fumble by Brady. Did belichick not have them prepared????

There is only so much you can do as a coach, you still need your players to execute.

Did he have the right call on for mendenhall's run?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Again GOOD COACH, I LIKE HIM, he's no Tom Landry or Bill Parcells. YET.
    Really? After all you've said, you're going to drop this on us?

Be a man and just own up to the fact that you hate him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I held on to my Vilma jersey, just having a Maybin name plate sewed on..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Really? After all you've said, you're going to drop this on us?

Be a man and just own up to the fact that you hate him.
    If you search out my posts in other threads, you'll see I said he's probably better than most and is probably top 10 top 11. God forbid someone spill a little Kool aid, you guys go ballistic.

This whole, OT rant, started as I stated that Maybin was motivated MORE by money and his career and that Rex has less to do with it than Maybins reality that THIS IS IT for him.

GREAT DC, not yet a great HC. That's it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This pittsburgh stuff is so appalling.

Did you guys watch the game?

Ok, so Rex had us "unprepared". There were 3 HUGE plays in the first half of that game, lets look at them.

3rd Down - Did we have the right coverage on to stop Pitts and get off the field...yes we did, unfortunately Cro took a Defensive PI penalty and kept the drive alive. Guess that is rex's fault.

Mendenhall's run - Did Rex have the right call on to have him completely stuffed in the backfield? YES - but he cant run out there and make the tackle too. We had mendenhall stopped cold, and he broke 3 tackles...Blame Bart, but that isnt Rex's fault.

Sanchez Sack - We shouldnt have been throwing in that situation, and ultimately that is Rex's fault. Guess he is never allowed to make an error on the sidelines.

Lastly, for everyone questioning Rex's ability to motivate, look at the Pats-Ravens game from 2009. First play, 80 yard TD run by Rice, next play, sack and fumble by Brady. Did belichick not have them prepared????

There is only so much you can do as a coach, you still need your players to execute.

Did he have the right call on for mendenhall's run?

These are all very fair points. Excellent in fact. Take a bow.
    However... We lost.

Buffalo Bills fans stopped making statements like these a long time ago. They ranted about the Tenn lateral for years. At some point you just win. I'm still waiting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you search out my posts in other threads, you'll see I said he's probably better than most and is probably top 10 top 11. God forbid someone spill a little Kool aid, you guys go ballistic.

This whole, OT rant, started as I stated that Maybin was motivated MORE by money and his career and that Rex has less to do with it than Maybins reality that THIS IS IT for him.

Maybin's on the defensive side of the ball, so what does it matter to him what kind of HC Rex is?

I'm not sure what's up, but your debating skills are usually much sharper than this . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Go search my posts. I'm far from a kool-aid sipper.

You said Rex hasn't developed anyone and used Gholston as your example. That's very stupid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

You said Rex hasn't developed anyone and used Gholston as your example. That's very stupid.
    Don't worry about this guy. He has his agenda and he'll twist the argument to fit it. It's like arguing with a Jehovah's witness...or a Tebowite...or Tex

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not referring to you per se, it was a metaphor... and I didnt say that specifically. I simply say we give him more credit for player development when in fact ALL TEAMS have UFA's who excel.

Im done on this one.... we are in basic agreement that Rex is a terrific coach. I say he is slightly over rated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not referring to you per se, it was a metaphor... and I didnt say that specifically. I simply say we give him more credit for player development when in fact ALL TEAMS have UFA's who excel.

Im done on this one.... we are in basic agreement that Rex is a terrific coach. I say he is slightly over rated.
    Fair enough. I don't have numbers to support this but I think Rex has helped out more UDFAs and re-tread players than just about anybody else. This defense last year was full of guys who Rex has helped mold into quality players.

I don't really think he's over-rated... most people recognize he has some limitations, specifically on the offensive side of the ball.

Anyhow, it seemed like you just had an irrational dislike for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. I don't have numbers to support this but I think Rex has helped out more UDFAs and re-tread players than just about anybody else. This defense last year was full of guys who Rex has helped mold into quality players.

I don't really think he's over-rated... most people recognize he has some limitations, specifically on the offensive side of the ball.

Anyhow, it seemed like you just had an irrational dislike for him.
    I dislike HERM, Walton, Coslett, Groh. Kotite is in a league of his own.

I was OK with Carroll and Mangini.

I liked Walt Michaels.

I really like REX.

I loved Parcells.

Did I miss anyone? I have been a fan a long time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dislike HERM, Walton, Coslett, Groh. Kotite is in a league of his own.

I was OK with Carroll and Mangini.

I liked Walt Michaels.

I really like REX.

I loved Parcells.

Did I miss anyone? I have been a fan a long time.
    hahaha.

A guy I work with played golf with Kotite last week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahaha.

A guy I work with played golf with Kotite last week.
    I do business with a guy who went to Hofstra with Kotites daughter and nailed her.

Said she was cute. True story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do business with a guy who went to Hofstra with Kotites daughter and nailed her.

Said she was cute. True story.
    hahaha awesome

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I meant 2010. My bad.

My pointy is simply...the only people who annoint REX as a great HC are himself and some of the fans.

He is a great DC, and yet to prove he is a great HC.

You really ready to put him in the same league with GREAT coaches???

No not at all.

But this thread is about Aaron Maybin and, yes, I would credit much of Maybin's success so far with the Jets to Rex Ryan. Maybin had the talent. But he had no guidance. No role. He needed a coach who could properly hone his skills and utlize them. I think Ryan is the perfect coach for Maybin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    I see double digit sacks as well from Maybin. I love his quote about not getting along with the "slow down" button. What is key with a guy like him is to be playing with a lead or 3rd and long, which would be nice to do a little more of this year. Look at the Colts with Freeney and Mathis. Manning gets them a lead and then it's ears pinned back and get after the QB. They are a different animal when they trail as we saw last year. Of course we don't have that kind of offense but there is no reason to think we can't play with a lead more often. I hope I'm right but I see the days of us having no consistent pass rush gone very soon.
    With our stingy defense, we can take some early leads if we can get to the redzone and punch it in with Tebow...we have to cut back on the 3 and outs and move the chains.....after that unleash the mayhem!!!!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No not at all.

But this thread is about Aaron Maybin and, yes, I would credit much of Maybin's success so far with the Jets to Rex Ryan. Maybin had the talent. But he had no guidance. No role. He needed a coach who could properly hone his skills and utlize them. I think Ryan is the perfect coach for Maybin.
    can't disagree with that.... I hope Maybin has a break out year.

For all the sacks last year... he seemed to lack the muscle to break the line. He ran a semi circle around the line and for most plays, the ball was gone before Maybins prescense was even felt. Id like to see more clogging up the middle from him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    can't disagree with that.... I hope Maybin has a break out year.

For all the sacks last year... he seemed to lack the muscle to break the line. He ran a semi circle around the line and for most plays, the ball was gone before Maybins prescense was even felt. Id like to see more clogging up the middle from him.
    He's at 245. I'd say he's dedicated and motivated.

He'll be styling and profiling. Outmuscling and outhustling. Slicing and dicing to the QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

He'll be styling and profiling. Outmuscling and outhustling. Slicing and dicing to the QB.
    Thanks Clyde.