Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126

Thread: QB development takes 5 years, not 3 years - from Sirius NFL Radio

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just so we are all on the same page. Are we in Year 1 or Year 4?

    Just want to know what I should expect or hope to see this year.
    Do you remember Sanchez in year one? If so, I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to your question . . .

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The grasp of Realityville
    Posts
    3,847
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Do you remember Sanchez in year one? If so, I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to your question . . .
    Let him troll and cry in peace.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    4. Sanchez needs to show improvement, no doubt about it.

    What would be an acceptable season for Sanchez to lead you to believe he can be the Jets franchise QB?
    That depends on what your definition of franchise quarterback is? Based on my opinion and my definition there are only 7 or so franchise QBs in the league. And based on that I don't think he will ever be a franchise QB. But he doesn't need to be that for us to win.

    For us to win and for us to consider our QB position a strength. I think that is a better bar to set for Sanchez. I am not a big numbers guy, so I dont want to set landmarks for him to reach.

    I don't need his TDs go up to think that he improved. Same for his yards. Improve his decision making and accuracy and don't turn the ball over. And by accuracy, I mean ball placement as well. Give the receivers a chance to make a play after they catch the ball.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-04-2012 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

    Based on my opinion and my definition there are only 7 or so franchise QBs in the league.

    And based on that I don't think he will ever be a franchise QB.
    So, 7 or so--that's the limit?

    Do the 7 include Brady and Manning who may be retired in 2 (Manning) or Brady (3-4-5) years?

    Can there be an 8th? A 9th?

    Or is it just those 7.

    Or so.

    And there's no way he cracks the top 7?

    Inconceivable.

    _

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That depends on what your definition of franchise quarterback is? Based on my opinion and my definition there are only 7 or so franchise QBs in the league.
    I think you are definning elite, or near elite, QB's.

    My definition of a franchise QB is someone who enters training camp with no competition whatsoever (no musical chairs), performs in the upper half of all NFL QB's regarding production and be a QB capable of putting his team on his back to win football games.

    Based on that, I think there are about 12-14 franchise QB's in the NFL right now.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way ignorant people in the media and Jets-haters talked you'd think Sanchez was worse than Ryan Leaf. Overall he's been pretty good so far and is going to get better.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been saying since day one look to year 5,6,7.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That depends on what your definition of franchise quarterback is? Based on my opinion and my definition there are only 7 or so franchise QBs in the league. And based on that I don't think he will ever be a franchise QB. But he doesn't need to be that for us to win.

    For us to win and for us to consider our QB position a strength. I think that is a better bar to set for Sanchez. I am not a big numbers guy, so I dont want to set landmarks for him to reach.

    I don't need his TDs go up to think that he improved. Same for his yards. Improve his decision making and accuracy and don't turn the ball over. And by accuracy, I mean ball placement as well. Give the receivers a chance to make a play after they catch the ball.
    Thats kind of why I asked the question. I realize that winning games is not a criteria that many of his critics use to evaluate Sanchez because it does not fit into their agenda, but I wanted to quantify what exactly the second part of that statement means. Thats why I asked for more of a specific number. So if Sanchez has less turnovers and has a completion % in the 60s, that would suffice?

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The way ignorant people in the media and Jets-haters talked you'd think Sanchez was worse than Ryan Leaf. Overall he's been pretty good so far and is going to get better.
    No one is making Sanchez out to be the next Ryan Leaf.

    What bugs me are the fans who act like we should pledge our undying allegiance to Sanchez simply because he was along for the ride to two AFC Championship games. As if that's enough to annoint him our unquestioned starting QB for the next 10 years.

    He is what he is at this point, a mediocre QB who still has the potential to get better.

    But unless he makes major strides this year, his career in New York will most likely come to an end.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    With sanchez's limited college playing time coupled with the first 3 years as a pro....... He should come into his own this year. It was hard to judge last year cuz they didn't throw the ball down field and everyone knew they wouldn't

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No one is making Sanchez out to be the next Ryan Leaf.

    What bugs me are the fans who act like we should pledge our undying allegiance to Sanchez simply because he was along for the ride to two AFC Championship games. As if that's enough to annoint him our unquestioned starting QB for the next 10 years.

    He is what he is at this point, a mediocre QB who still has the potential to get better.

    But unless he makes major strides this year, his career in New York will most likely come to an end.
    Don't tell Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco that and then who would be the QB immediately in year 5?, please.

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Don't tell Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco that and then who would be the QB immediately in year 5?, please.
    Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are better QB's at the moment. Jets fans are just about the only people who would have you think otherwise.

    Who would be the QB immediately in Year 5? Who knows.

    Are you implying that we should cling to Sanchez forever just because the new guy might take some time to develop or could prove to be worse than Sanchez? Well, that's a chance you have to take.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are better QB's at the moment. Jets fans are just about the only people who would have you think otherwise.
    I don't know if you know this, but Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have both been in the league one more year than Mark Sanchez.

    _

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

    But unless he makes major strides this year, his career in New York will most likely come to an end.
    Again, what constitutes, in your opinion, major strides?

    Would this satisfy you?


    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    What about steady change? Is that reasonable?

    Not talking a jump to 68%, 5500 yards, 50 TDs and 6 INTs for a 104 QB rating.

    Last year Sanchez was at 56.7%, 3,474 yards, 26 INTs, 18 INTs, 78.2 QB rating. Bunch of rushing TDs but also a bunch of fumbles lost.

    I would take 59.9%, 4000 yards, similar TDs, 15 INts, QB rating in the mid-80's, probably a few less rushing TDs (because of Tebow) and much fewer fumbles.

    Year 4, yeah, I could live with that.

    _
    _

  15. #35
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I don't know if you know this, but Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have both been in the league one more year than Mark Sanchez.

    _
    Yeah, no sh*t.

    But these are still the two guys that a lot of Jets fans use as a barometer for Sanchez.

    Fact is, both guys are better than Sanchez at the moment. They aren't substantially better, and if Sanchez has a big year and shows improvement, then he could jump to their level or even surpass them.

    But as of right now, Ryan and Flacco are the better QB's.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Ryan is absolutely better than Mark Sanchez. Joe Flacco isn't. Sanchez and Flacco are on the same tier.

  17. #37
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Again, what constitutes, in your opinion, major strides?

    Would this satisfy you?



    _
    Hell yes

    As long as he cuts down on the turnovers I'd be perfectly content with numbers in that ballpark.

    I've said in the past that Sanchez's 2011 season would've been impressive if it wasn't for the boatload of turnovers.

    But yeah...4,000 yards, a 60% completion percentage, 25+ TD's...who wouldn't take that?

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are better QB's at the moment. Jets fans are just about the only people who would have you think otherwise.

    Who would be the QB immediately in Year 5? Who knows.

    Are you implying that we should cling to Sanchez forever just because the new guy might take some time to develop or could prove to be worse than Sanchez? Well, that's a chance you have to take.
    How so? not to mention they have a lil more NFL time.
    Good game plan, it's only a year away.
    Ah, no. but you need to have a replacement.

    From an owners standpoint, yes my ultimate goal is to win a SB, however, if my Qb is young and somewhat in the developmental stage and he is(they) winning games, selling tickets etc. I don't mess with it until he has 2 back to back sub par seasons, or I know I can draft the next Sanchez some how knowing he will be the next Qb to win the SB in his first 3 years.

  19. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I don't know if you know this, but Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have both been in the league one more year than Mark Sanchez.

    _
    If you had a national poll excluding Jet fans, Raven fans and Falcons fans, and asked which of the 3 QB's they would want as a starting QB, the results would be as follows:

    Flacco- 60%
    Ryan- 35%
    Sanchez- 5%

    Outside of NY, Sanchez is not very highly thought of as a NFL QB.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If you had a national poll excluding Jet fans, Raven fans and Falcons fans, and asked which of the 3 QB's they would want as a starting QB, the results would be as follows:

    Flacco- 60%
    Ryan- 35%
    Sanchez- 5%

    Outside of NY, Sanchez is not very highly thought of as a NFL QB.
    Right now, no ****.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us