Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Mangold Goes to London

Jets' Nick Mangold will watch sister compete in London Olympics

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Nick Mangold is on his way to London after all.

The Jets center originally did not plan on making the trip to watch his younger sister, Holley, compete in the Olympic weightlifting competition, explaining that he did not want to let his teammates down by missing time in training camp. But Mangold changed his mind, posting on his Twitter account this morning that he is on his way to support his sister.

Coach Rex Ryan gave Mangold permission to go months ago, and wasn't taking no for an answer.

"We're not there yet, but I am laying the guilt trip on him and everything else," Ryan said Wednesday. "You know what? His teammates understand. I think they are pushing him as well. It is not just me."

The U.S. women's weightlifting team's medal competition is Sunday. The Jets have their Green and White scrimmage tonight and are off tomorrow.
    CBSSports.com first reported Mangold's decision.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...l_watch_s.html

Nick Mangold ‏@nickmangold
    Anyone wanna guess where I'm heading? Thanks Rex, Woody, Mike and the rest of the @nyjets! Go @HolleyMangold! #GoUSA

Mangold should convince his sister to replace Wayne Hunter on the OL.

Last edited by C Mart; 08-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Good luck Holley...hope you strike gold.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    +1. Would love to see her medal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    +1. Would love to see her medal.
    Hope she wins... I'll definitely be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    +1. Would love to see her medal and her brother get a superbowl ring this season.

J.P. Pelzman ‏@JPPelzman
    BTW, Mangold going across the pond means Matt Slauson will move to C and Ducasse will start at LG in Green and White practice

I thought Caleb Schlauderaff would start at C...

Post New Story: Mangold Goes to London

Thanks to the persistent pestering of his coach and teammates Nick Mangold boarded a plane to London this morning so he can watch his sister, Holley Mangold, compete in the olympics tomorrow. Originally Nick wasn't going to make the trip. He wanted to, but with Holley scheduled to compete smack dab in the middle of training camp Nick thought it was more important that he stayed here with his team and his sister understood.

"I'd choose training over going to one of his games, so I totally understand it." Holley told Fourth-Place medal, according to the Daily Herald. "It's a bummer,...

More...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Where do you see these tweets? They're not on either of their Twitter pages.

J.P. Pelzman ‏@JPPelzman
    BTW, Mangold going across the pond means Matt Slauson will move to C and Ducasse will start at LG in Green and White practice

I thought Caleb Schlauderaff would start at C...
    Pelzman is jumping the gun, he's also forgetting that Moore is out for tonight.

Schlauderaff at C, Slauson probagly at RG, Ducasse at LG as starters.

Kroul, Griffin, and Heyer behind them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Hope she wins... I'll definitely be watching.
    What time on Sunday?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    What time on Sunday?
    ESPN says 10:30 am Sunday but not sure if that is our time or London yet.

All League
    Good for them both. Bring home the gold and in February nick can bring home the silver

London Olympics: Jets Nick Mangold relaxed and ready to watch his sister Holley

You think it would be stressful watching your kid sister go for gold. But Nick Mangold, a cold Heineken in his hand, said he was looking forward to watching Holley compete in the Olympic weightlifting competition on Sunday.

"Actually, I enjoy sitting there because I have no control over it," the Jets center said before the competition. "It’s a fantastic feeling to watch something I have no control over it. I get a lot more nervous when I’m competing myself. This is relaxing."

Mangold originally said he wasn't going to make the long flight to London because he didn't want to leave training camp. But consistent pressure from head coach Rex Ryan to leave -- plus the consent of his teammates -- made him change his mind. He caught a flight on Saturday night and will return on Monday morning.

"God bless Rex, having his blessing is great," Mangold said. "But if everybody stares at you like, ‘You’re leaving us?’ that’s ridiculous. It wouldn’t have been right. Talking to the guys, they were real supportive of me coming."

Mangold said the message from Ryan was simple: "He told me, ‘It’s family. As much as football is a large part of our lives, that can go away. Family will never go away.’ He preached on that pretty well. And as much as I feel like this season is going to come and go, I want to make sure we’re in the right spot for it. We’ve had some good arguments back and forth."

Holley Mangold is not expected to medal, but her brother likes her attitude. As for the strongest in the family, we'll never know for sure.

"Of course I’m going to say I’m stronger, but I will never actually do the lift because I feel as though my superiors will be pretty angry if I blow out my back trying to do that," the Jets center said. "It’s definitely difficult."

http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf...center_ni.html

Best of luck to Holley!!!

Holley nailed her 1st clean & Jerk attempt - 135 kg

No go on 2nd & 3rd attempts at 140 kg

http://www.nbcolympics.com/weightlif...5kg/index.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.

All Pro
    Holley nailed her 1st clean & Jerk attempt - 135 kg

No go on 2nd & 3rd attempts at 140 kg

http://www.nbcolympics.com/weightlif...5kg/index.html
    135kg = 297 lbs A lot of weight to clean and jerk, and very stressful for your body. I don't blame Nick for not doing it. I don't think my wife could do it.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 08-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Nick Mangold ‏@nickmangold
    Big congrats to @HolleyMangold for her competition at the Olympics! As an older brother I couldn't be more proud!

I saw she finished 10th but she still made it to compete which is amazing. Props to Holley!