Thread: Just spoke with Westhoff

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke with Westhoff

Before leaving for the scrimmage yesterday I spotted Pettine here in the lobby at Hope lake, he was on the phone so I didn't even bother to say hi. He has that don't f with me look to him anyway. As I left my room for coffee this morning I ran into Westoff waiting for the elevator. I love this man so I had to say something. "Morning Coach, didn't know they let you guys out of the dorm " was the best I could do. He explained that his girlfriend was staying here and he basically had the day off except for two short meetings. He said the second was related to roster battles and it was a waste of time. He said he could give me the final 45 right now with exception of one position, kicker. I guess that means we shouldn't expect any major surprises when the final roster comes out. I wanted to ask him more but I was nervous as hell for whatever reason.

This is third time this year I ran into a Jet Coach, although the first doesn't really count since it was a fired coach, Schotty. I ran into him in the Mexican Riviera In February and also said hi. He obviously did not want to be recognized from his dopey response. Swear to god, his response was, "What, do I look like a
    coach"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post

This is third time this year I ran into a Jet Coach, although the first doesn't really count since it was a fired coach, Schotty. I ran into him in the Mexican Riviera In February and also said hi. He obviously did not want to be recognized from his dopey response. Swear to god, his response was, "What, do I look like a
    coach"?
    I hope your response was, "No".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bronx, I enjoyed your short recounting of meeting Westhoff. I love that he is so incredibly candid and direct when talking to fans ... no pretending to be someone else etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    I hope your response was, "No".
    Or not a OC that's for sure..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Westy is priceless. If this is his last year, I wish him well. He will be missed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Thanks Bronx, I enjoyed your short recounting of meeting Westhoff. I love that he is so incredibly candid and direct when talking to fans ... no pretending to be someone else etc.
    I have a friend that see's him quite often at Sanibel Marina here in FL.. He goes shark fishing alot..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before leaving for the scrimmage yesterday I spotted Pettine here in the lobby at Hope lake, he was on the phone so I didn't even bother to say hi. He has that don't f with me look to him anyway. As I left my room for coffee this morning I ran into Westoff waiting for the elevator. I love this man so I had to say something. "Morning Coach, didn't know they let you guys out of the dorm " was the best I could do. He explained that his girlfriend was staying here and he basically had the day off except for two short meetings. He said the second was related to roster battles and it was a waste of time. He said he could give me the final 45 right now with exception of one position, kicker. I guess that means we shouldn't expect any major surprises when the final roster comes out. I wanted to ask him more but I was nervous as hell for whatever reason.
    Just because the final 45 is pretty much set doesn't mean there won't be any surprises -- it simply means the CS is already in agreement over who has stood out and who hasn't.

It's very possible the final roster might have surprises to us, and personally I hope so as it would imply upgrades over what we had last year . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Just because the final 45 is pretty much set doesn't mean there won't be any surprises -- it simply means the CS is already in agreement over who has stood out and who hasn't.

It's very possible the final roster might have surprises to us, and personally I hope so as it would imply upgrades over what we had last year . . .
    True. I hope as well. I want Allen to make the roster for one

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

I find that interesting. That implies pre-season games are meaningless in sorting out bubble players?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I find that interesting. That implies pre-season games are meaningless in sorting out bubble players?
    It also implies that perhaps we now know why Westhoff was never head coaching material. LOL
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should have just double drop kicked Schotty in the chest, then climbed to the top rope and finished him off with a Macho Man Randy Savage elbow drop.

Just saying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    no, just that the bubble is small (8 spots). run through the roster, you'll deere the same thing. fifth cb, sixth wr, do we keep 5rbs? but most of the spots are locked up

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. Westhoff is the best!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    no, just that the bubble is small (8 spots). run through the roster, you'll deere the same thing. fifth cb, sixth wr, do we keep 5rbs? but most of the spots are locked up
    Except that Westhoff implied the bubble is one player...K.

That seems a bit rigid at this point in the season. Don't get me wrong, I love Westy as a ST coach, but I find that a curious stance at this point in the season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that Westy knows the 45 confirms what I have believed for a while.

He has way too much control when it comes to the roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You make a good point but as we approach the first pre season game this weekend, I just can't say that I am expecting that much either...I don't see where the surprises might be...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

He gave his opinion off the cuff....

And I think many here could name approx 40 that will make the final 53...

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    coach"?
    You should've said, "You don't coach like one either."

I swear I would never be that rude unless it was that guy. My most-hated Jets coach ever. Yes, I even liked Kotite better - he didn't f-up contenders, he just messed-up alo-rans and made them look absolutely terrible.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

If this indicated in any way that he had even an iota of impute you might have a point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh?

How about he might have a pretty good idea of who the 45 might be because he's a part of the coaching staff and is the assistant head coach?