Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Friend broke my arm playing golf WTF?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I was playing Bayonne a few weeks ago and we're somewhere in the middle of the round when our caddie (very cool guy) points to another caddie on the adjacent hole and says "See that guy (pointing to a caddie, not an insanely rich member)? Ya know the movie "Two for the Money" with Matthew McConaghey and Al Pacino? (the sports gambling movie)....That's the guy the movie was based on...he's got some crazy stories."

I'm trying to figure out how a guy who has the sports gambling world cornered is now a golf caddie, but I never got an answer.
    I was gonna say, in response to BHR's comment that the 'career' caddies, that in addition to being alcoholics most I knew were degenerate gamblers. The guy probably started gambling while caddying in HS or something before football etc....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My father-in-law is a big burly man--looks like a cross between John Wayne and James Garner, but he's a great great man and in my wife's eyes, a total sweetheart and her hero without a bad bone in his body.

So one day I'm playing with him and two friends and he duck-hooks a shot and literally...kills a duck.

He's smoking a cig at this point as we walk down the fairway as we approach where his ball went.

We we get to where his ball is, I see this mallard on it's side, it's neck at a weird angle and it's wing is flopping in some sort of grotesque death throe and I say "you killed a duck!"

So he says, "you promise you don't tell Julie (my wife)?" and I say "yeah".

So as he flicks the butt towards the dying/dead duck he says, completely dead pan "I couldn't give a f*ck".

Cracked me up

_
    I presume you'll be posting a picture of the duck tacos you made that evening.

We'll hold.

Hall Of Fame
    Chubbs?

I work at a golf course as a Valet for a summer job now. The caddies are the best. Literally saw one of the guys get 1000 bucks after looping for the winner of the senior club championship yesterday. There all some caddies who caddy at Augusta in the winter and are the real deal. Then you get some of the caddies who are so stoned they can barely walk.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    I work at a golf course as a Valet for a summer job now. The caddies are the best. Literally saw one of the guys get 1000 bucks after looping for the winner of the senior club championship yesterday. There all some caddies who caddy at Augusta in the winter and are the real deal. Then you get some of the caddies who are so stoned they can barely walk.
    I gotta say, those guys make some decent coin (assuming its busy) but they work hard for it. Shlepping two heavy golf bags (Cause knuckleheads like me are carrying balls for the entire season) up and down the hilly terrain of the North East, is back breaking work. And if you get two loops in, you'll be right sore afterwards.

Where do you work?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I gotta say, those guys make some decent coin (assuming its busy) but they work hard for it. Shlepping two heavy golf bags (Cause knuckleheads like me are carrying balls for the entire season) up and down the hilly terrain of the North East, is back breaking work. And if you get two loops in, you'll be right sore afterwards.

Where do you work?
    +1, I did it all through high school. Probably why I have a herniated disk at the age of 27.

Jets Insider VIP
    Caddies are great. Such a diverse group. You have the serious caddies who are in it for the coin and then you have the drunks. Guys that literally walk straight from the course to the bar and drink away all the cash they got.

I love talking with the good caddies and hearing their stories and even seeing their tricks. Many don't know it but a well placed tip to the caddie before a match can pay dividends.

Caddies know that if they guy they are caddying for has a good round, they might get a bigger tip. So they will often give you a few "foot wedges" during the round.

While they are fore-caddying ahead, your ball that was behind the tree will, unbeknownst to you, magically have a clear shot to the green before you get to it. I have seen caddies foot putt a ball on an uphill blind green turning a forty foot put into a 5 footer.

Caddies know that the happier the golfer is at the end of the round, the better the chance that the tip gets bigger. it happens a lot more than you think.

Where do you work?
    I work at Hamilton Farms. Its in Somerset county they host the womens match play event there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    I used a caddy at Pinehurst number 2. He carried only my bag. We each had one. It made ALL THE DIFFERENCE reading those Donald Ross spaghetti bowl greens.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My father-in-law is a big burly man--looks like a cross between John Wayne and James Garner, but he's a great great man and in my wife's eyes, a total sweetheart and her hero without a bad bone in his body.

So one day I'm playing with him and two friends and he duck-hooks a shot and literally...kills a duck.

He's smoking a cig at this point as we walk down the fairway as we approach where his ball went.

We we get to where his ball is, I see this mallard on it's side, it's neck at a weird angle and it's wing is flopping in some sort of grotesque death throe and I say "you killed a duck!"

So he says, "you promise you don't tell Julie (my wife)?" and I say "yeah".

So as he flicks the butt towards the dying/dead duck he says, completely dead pan "I couldn't give a f*ck".

Cracked me up

_
    How appropriate it was with you....that shot (not the duck part) is called the son in law shot.

Why?? Well...it wasn't what he had in mind but he has to work with it regardless.

BTW Stokesy...I bought the Rocketballz driver. Should arrive Thursday. Paid $225 brand new on EBAY. 10.5, RH, regular shaft. if I hit it OB, im gonna curse you under my breath!
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 08-06-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    How appropriate it was with you....that shot (not the duck part) is called the son in law shot.

Why?? Well...it wasn't what he had in mind but he has to work with it regardless.

BTW Stokesy...I bought the Rocketballz driver. Should arrive Thursday. Paid $225 brand new on EBAY. 10.5, RH, regular shaft. if I hit it OB, im gonna curse you under my breath!
    And if you hit it far and straight down the middle--I want you to give kudos to your fake internet friend.

_

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Chubbs?

one of the best Golf movies ever......
    1. Caddyshack
    2. Happy Gilmore
    3. The Legend of Bagger Vance
    4. Tin Cup
    199. Caddyshack II Probobly one of the worst sequels EVER.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Just got home from a Golf outing at Lido Beach.

Boy, does that course suck.

I'm not the most golfiest of golfers, but I dont think I have ever been within 10 feet of a caddy at any course I have played at. I dont think I have actually seen one on a course.

I guess I'm a low-ender.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Just got home from a Golf outing at Lido Beach.

Boy, does that course suck.

I'm not the most golfiest of golfers, but I dont think I have ever been within 10 feet of a caddy at any course I have played at. I dont think I have actually seen one on a course.

I guess I'm a low-ender.

-
    I only get to do it once or twice a year, but playing golf with a caddie is one of life's true pleasures. I'll probably never join a country club for a variety of reasons (cost being one of them), but I can understand the allure.

Walking a course whilst lugging your bag on your back can be tedious. Walking a course whilst having someone carry your clubs, scrub your balls, tell you exactly how far you are to the pin, giving you the proper club to hit as well having a full complement of t!tty jokes? Priceless.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

IWalking a course whilst having someone carry your clubs, scrub your balls
    Whoah....

Some things I'd rather do myself, thankee.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    A good caddie can really help you on a round. The problem is that many of them are morons, who know sh!t about golf.

I have played in matches and had the guy I was playing against listen to his caddie misread greens all day, yet continued to believe him.

My favorite caddie was in Ireland back in 2002. On the first tee, I absolutely crushed a ball but it was going right... right to an area he had just told me to avoid.

He looked at me and said "Yurinda sh!te!"

We all doubled over laughing and it became the classic phrase of the trip. We still say it to this day.

He was a great caddie that really knew his stuff and once he realized that we were there to have a great time, he proceeded to bust our balls all day long whenever we hit a bad shot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Whoah....

Some things I'd rather do myself, thankee.

-
    Don't knock it til ya try it - some of those Jamaican guys have very soft hands.

Just sayin'.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    He looked at me and said "Yurinda sh!te!"

Lmao....classic.

Don't knock it til ya try it - some of those Jamaican guys have very soft hands.

Just sayin'.

All Pro
    I only get to do it once or twice a year, but playing golf with a caddie is one of life's true pleasures. I'll probably never join a country club for a variety of reasons (cost being one of them), but I can understand the allure.

Walking a course whilst lugging your bag on your back can be tedious. Walking a course whilst having someone carry your clubs, scrub your balls, tell you exactly how far you are to the pin, giving you the proper club to hit as well having a full complement of t!tty jokes? Priceless.
    If I knew golfing led to happy endings, I mighta tried it years ago.