Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90

Thread: Friend broke my arm playing golf WTF?

  1. #41
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I have no respect for anyone who throws a club on a course. None.
    nor do I NOW. F-IN DANGEROUS

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Valley Stream, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    I played with a guy who threw his club into the woods along the fairway after a nasty drive. Problem was, he threw it high enough to have the club get stuck in the branches about 15 feet up. None of us wanted to throw our own clubs up there to try and dislodge his, figuring the same thing would happen to us. So he played the rest of the course minus his driver (borrowed ours). I don't know if he ever got his club back, but we all felt he deserved what happened.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    did dickhead at least pay your medical bills?

    btw, this stuff never happens on mini golf courses. sometimes a mother will smack a little kid thats outta control, but nothing like thrown clubs and broken bones.

  4. #44
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    did dickhead at least pay your medical bills?

    btw, this stuff never happens on mini golf courses. sometimes a mother will smack a little kid thats outta control, but nothing like thrown clubs and broken bones.
    I guess you've never played in Bayville....flying clubs everywhere. Especially round the windmill.

  5. #45
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    did dickhead at least pay your medical bills?

    btw, this stuff never happens on mini golf courses. sometimes a mother will smack a little kid thats outta control, but nothing like thrown clubs and broken bones.
    Yes, dick head did pay the medical bills. hopefully i can play some fall golf.... without him in my group

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    did dickhead at least pay your medical bills?

    btw, this stuff never happens on mini golf courses. sometimes a mother will smack a little kid thats outta control, but nothing like thrown clubs and broken bones.
    You never played with my idiot brothers when we were all younger. They would often drive the ball off the tee. And then go chase the ball through the parking lot. I had a few welts and bruises. It was almost a contact sport.

    _

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I guess you've never played in Bayville....flying clubs everywhere. Especially round the windmill.
    I find wearing a monocle and ascot cuts down on the trailer park behavior.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in the golf business for nearly 30 years and it's pretty rare for somebody at a country club to actually throw a club.

    But many years ago, a member's kid threw his driver in a pond after a bad tee shot. The kid was always a little doosh and he lied to me and said it slipped but one of my co-workers said he saw him throw it on purpose.

    I had to get our row boat and go out on the pond and look for it. He was pretty fortunate that soon after I got out on the boat, I could see the club shining down about 5 feet below the surface. All I had to do was to slide off the boat, and dive down to get it.














    Unfortunately for him, as previously mentioned, he was a little doosh...

    the club is probably still there.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I had to get our row boat and go out on the pond and look for it.
    not gonna lie... if i saw you out there in the row boat, I'm pulling out my three iron and about a dozen golf balls.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    not gonna lie... if i saw you out there in the row boat, I'm pulling out my three iron and about a dozen golf balls.
    Doosh!

  11. #51
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Doosh!
    awesome. guess the moral is never take you eyes off our your

    playing partner......... EVER.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the funniest stories I ever heard was from the first course superintendent I ever worked for. He was such a dick he was actually named Dick. Can't swear the story is true but not sure why anyone would tell it if it wasn't.

    He told me that one day he was riding a tractor on a very foggy morning. Next think he knows, a golf ball hits him square in the nuts. He said it hurt so bad he could barely breath but he managed to turn off the tractor.

    As he was writhing in pain, he heard someone yell "fore".

    Instinctively, he covered his head and face with his arms...

    and got hit in the nuts a second time.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    One of the funniest stories I ever heard was from the first course superintendent I ever worked for. He was such a dick he was actually named Dick. Can't swear the story is true but not sure why anyone would tell it if it wasn't.

    He told me that one day he was riding a tractor on a very foggy morning. Next think he knows, a golf ball hits him square in the nuts. He said it hurt so bad he could barely breath but he managed to turn off the tractor.

    As he was writhing in pain, he heard someone yell "fore".

    Instinctively, he covered his head and face with his arms...

    and got hit in the nuts a second time.
    lol

    weird things do happen on the golf course

    a friend of mine teed off and and somehow his ball hit the ball washer that was behind him, the ball then ricocheted off the washer and nailed the cart of the people waiting behind us

    also saw a guy walking down the fairway who was on the ground curled up like a ball and kicking because a crow was attacking him. must have been near a nest or something

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear this, bing (just read the thread today); hope you get to play golf again soon, before the snows of buffalo start

    My brother-in-law is another jerk, on and off the golf course. He threw his club into a pond on a course once. Another time he just chucked it down the fairway, luckily no one was standing there. Only a moron acts like a baby after hitting a bad shot.

    That's why I hate seeing professionals throwing tantrums (tiger, anyone?) when they play tourneys on TV.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    lol

    weird things do happen on the golf course

    a friend of mine teed off and and somehow his ball hit the ball washer that was behind him, the ball then ricocheted off the washer and nailed the cart of the people waiting behind us

    also saw a guy walking down the fairway who was on the ground curled up like a ball and kicking because a crow was attacking him. must have been near a nest or something
    My father-in-law is a big burly man--looks like a cross between John Wayne and James Garner, but he's a great great man and in my wife's eyes, a total sweetheart and her hero without a bad bone in his body.

    So one day I'm playing with him and two friends and he duck-hooks a shot and literally...kills a duck.

    He's smoking a cig at this point as we walk down the fairway as we approach where his ball went.

    We we get to where his ball is, I see this mallard on it's side, it's neck at a weird angle and it's wing is flopping in some sort of grotesque death throe and I say "you killed a duck!"

    So he says, "you promise you don't tell Julie (my wife)?" and I say "yeah".

    So as he flicks the butt towards the dying/dead duck he says, completely dead pan "I couldn't give a f*ck".

    Cracked me up

    _

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    not gonna lie... if i saw you out there in the row boat, I'm pulling out my three iron and about a dozen golf balls.
    LOL


    Don't go throwing your club at this guy, ha, ha. Seeing that would scare the crap out of me. I would probably shriek like a little girl . . . oh, wait.


  17. #57
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Sorry to hear this, bing (just read the thread today); hope you get to play golf again soon, before the snows of buffalo start

    My brother-in-law is another jerk, on and off the golf course. He threw his club into a pond on a course once. Another time he just chucked it down the fairway, luckily no one was standing there. Only a moron acts like a baby after hitting a bad shot.

    That's why I hate seeing professionals throwing tantrums (tiger, anyone?) when they play tourneys on TV.
    When I saw him throw his club down and kick it on the 16th at Augusta at the Masters this year, I swore off rooting for Tiger forever. **** him, I hope he never wins another major.

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    I worked at Middle Bay Country Club in high school. No golf stories, just who's-doing-who's wife stories. Bunch of middle age and old horndogs...

  19. #59
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I worked at Middle Bay Country Club in high school. No golf stories, just who's-doing-who's wife stories. Bunch of middle age and old horndogs...
    I used to caddy at a club in high school. The club pro was diddling a few wives of some members and he was eventually fired.

    The older, "career" caddies were the best though. These guys were in their 40s, were mostly alcoholics, and had ridiculous things happen to them. One guy was literally arrested on the 9th green while caddying for 4 old ladies for not paying child support.

    Also interesting: my boss, the caddy master at the club, was Maddog Vinny Lopez, Springsteen's original drummer in the E Street Band. Nice guy, good boss. Chain smoked dime store cigars all day long starting at 7am.

  20. #60
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I used to caddy at a club in high school. The club pro was diddling a few wives of some members and he was eventually fired.

    The older, "career" caddies were the best though. These guys were in their 40s, were mostly alcoholics, and had ridiculous things happen to them. One guy was literally arrested on the 9th green while caddying for 4 old ladies for not paying child support.

    Also interesting: my boss, the caddy master at the club, was Maddog Vinny Lopez, Springsteen's original drummer in the E Street Band. Nice guy, good boss. Chain smoked dime store cigars all day long starting at 7am.
    I was playing Bayonne a few weeks ago and we're somewhere in the middle of the round when our caddie (very cool guy) points to another caddie on the adjacent hole and says "See that guy (pointing to a caddie, not an insanely rich member)? Ya know the movie "Two for the Money" with Matthew McConaghey and Al Pacino? (the sports gambling movie)....That's the guy the movie was based on...he's got some crazy stories."

    I'm trying to figure out how a guy who has the sports gambling world cornered is now a golf caddie, but I never got an answer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us