Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Reid absent from practice. Players gather in prayer before practice

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If people can talk about gun control in the wake of one tragedy why can't we discuss mental health issues or drug issues and their treatments. I did not make a joke or take anything likely.

Of course my condolences go out to his family. I have personal experience with a family member that had drug addiction to heroin similar to this. And I had a ex-teammate of mine die as a result of an overdose to Ocycontin.

If anyone has a problem with that then feel free to PM. I assure you I am not trying to be mean. And I apologize if I have offended anyone.
    Anyone? I think you offended everyone.

Unfortunaltely, sometimes in spite of a parent's best efforts, this is the way things turn out. It does not necessarily mean that the efforts to prevent it weren't sufficient.

My prayers and best wishes go out to the family.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I think we can talk about it in general but it seemed like you took a shot at Reid, without knowing the facts. I think you just worded it wrong so no harm, no foul.

If you have experience with this I'm sure you know have money or 5 years doesn't guarantee a good outcome.

It does make you think how evil addiction is, people with great lives, throwing it away because of drugs.
    You are right. I can see how that looks like I took a shot at Reid. That is the danger of the written word, it is open to interpretation. I should choose my words more carefully. But I assure everyone that is not the case.

I am sorry.

Addiction is a very evil thing. And hopefully when the time is right, this can serve to raise awareness. I think people view addiction and mental health disorders as weaknesses and do not treat them like the illnesses that they are. They have such a negative stigma attached to them and that is very unfortunate.

It is a terrible loss and I hope somehow they find a way to get through this.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Guys, why are certain things sacred, and others okay to talk about?

It's unfortunate for Reid and his family, but these are social issues that affect a lot of people on a daily basis. Discussing it respectfully shouldn't offend anyone.

Specific shots against Reid and his family may be classless, but I don't think that's the case here (DDNY). People die every day. Give your condolences, and move on. Sometimes we're so oversensitive to tragedy.

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't ASSume anything.
    Actually, you totally did.

All Pro
    Damn, just terrible. R.I.P Garrett. Hope Philly really rallies around coach Reid and his family.

This story makes me very very sad. Another young person gone before his time.

I hope Andy Reid, his wife and family can stay together and deal with this traumatic event.

what a terrible thing to have happened to the reid family. i wish them well and good luck.

All Pro
    He was at training camp working as a strength coach so it looked like Andy did everything he could, and the kid had turned his life around. We don't know what happened, but it has to make this much worse for him.

Bewildered Beast
    If people can talk about gun control blah
    It's not about you; just can it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Guys, why are certain things sacred, and others okay to talk about?

It's unfortunate for Reid and his family, but these are social issues that affect a lot of people on a daily basis. Discussing it respectfully shouldn't offend anyone.

Specific shots against Reid and his family may be classless, but I don't think that's the case here (DDNY). People die every day. Give your condolences, and move on. Sometimes we're so oversensitive to tragedy.
    A great post.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    It's not about you; just can it.
    +1. Not the first time either