Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Available Veteran Free Agent Receivers

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Available Veteran Free Agent Receivers

The Jets dodged a major bullet last night when word got back on Santonio Holmes x-rays being negative. That still doesn't hide the fact that the Jets wide receiving group is a large question mark going into this season.

To spare people and Jets fans, I will not mention a certain players name who should have been signed. That topic has been beaten to death and I have already illustrated where I stand on that one earlier this week.

The Jets could really use some veteran insurance at the wide receiver position. The market is bare but let's take a quick look at some of the options out there.

TERRELL OWENS

The media would have a field day with this one. Haters of the Jets would pray for this scenario. I don't see it happening but Owens is worth noting.

PATRICK CRAYTON

This actually makes some sense. I have never been a big fan of this player but he has starting experience with Tony Sparano in his offense and he can return punts well. So he brings some game day value.

GREG CAMARILLO

See Patrick Crayton in terms of veteran experience working for Sparano.

PLAXICO BURRESS

Have to mention his name because he is currently available. Sounds like he has workout scheduled with Raiders. I think this ship has sailed.

MARK CLAYTON

The former Oklahoma star never became one in Baltimore but then began to emerge in St.Louis before injuries have derailed his career.

MIKE WILLIAMS

Another college mega star who came into the league with big hype. He was a dissapointment early in his career and then redeemed himself in Seattle before injuries derailed him and he was recently released. He's a big physical receiver but a red flag when it comes to his health.

ROY WILLIAMS

This is yet another mega star in college who started off his career well in Detroit but has never lived up to billing with the Lions, Cowboys and Bears.

ANTHONY GONZALEZ

Former first round pick with major durability issues. Recently released by Patriots.

JUSTIN GAGE

Big physical target who is 31 and has been out of work for a year now. Brings no special teams value and would strictly be possession type receiver.

MIKE SIMS WALKER

27 year old receiver who looked like he was on the verge of becoming a quality starting NFL wideout with good combination of size and speed. He hasn't been able to latch on to a team after fizzling out in St.Louis and getting hurt in Jacksonville after his return there.

I listed about 10 options here as anyone can see. The pickings are slim.
    Last edited by LeonM; 08-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    from that list, I'd say only Sims-Walker is worth a look.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    mostly injury plagued wr's unfortunately

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    from that list, I'd say only Sims-Walker is worth a look.
    The problem with veteran receivers is that most teams already have their starting receiver positions set. That means that most veterans don't have game day value unless they can play the slot position. You can't dress veteran receivers as your 4th or 5th wideout because they have to bring special teams value.

A guy like Sims-Walker would have to be a starter because he doesn't bring much value as backup. See with a team like the Jets, Players like Kerley, Schilens and Turner figure to be and are special teams contributors.

Very few available veterans have instant starting value. The guy in Seattle now did. It's not sexy but I could see a guy like Crayton getting a workout if there is an injury or opening. Veteran with starting experience who is a decent punt returner and has worked with Sparano.
    Last edited by LeonM; 08-05-2012 at 11:23 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    chansi stuckey is available

you can also add Houshmandzadeh to the list, although I don't know if he has anything left in the tank

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    chansi stuckey is available

you can also add Houshmandzadeh to the list, although I don't know if he has anything left in the tank
    LOL... Oh yeah. He caught Mark Sanchez's first ever td pass as a pro. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be on the emergency list.

A guy that I know that Mike Westhoff has always respected is Kassim Osgood. Westhoff actually used Revis and Cromartie last season to double team and block him on returns. Talk about great respect. Kassim is strictly a special teams guy and doesn't bring real value as a receiver.

In the perfect world, Kerley would show the flashes of brilliance that he did last season as a slot receiver and Jordan White would back him up in that role while Schilens and Hill combine to be the big fast targets opoosite of Holmes. The Jets are asking too much of a raw Hill and expecting too much out of a training room MVP in Schilens.

I believe that the Jets are going to go to war with what they have currently at receiver barring injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind MSW or Camarillo, but talk about the bottom of the barrel.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Patrick Crayton. Out of all the guys on that list, he seems to be the most consistently WR without succumbing to too much injury/off-the-field problems. He did have ankle surgery at the beginning of last season, but he still outperformed Mike Sims-Walker, who's performed poorly in two tryouts already this offseason with the Texans and Titans.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to bring anybody in for a tryout.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Wouldn't mind MSW or Camarillo, but talk about the bottom of the barrel.
    That's really what it is. No way around it. Bottom of the barrel. I wonder how much say Sparano actually has in roster decisions. Camarillo could be an option if Kerley's issues linger.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand correctly Holmes tore cartilage in his ribcage with no broken bones. That's pretty much just a pain tolerance injury from my understanding, time for Holmes to man up.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    I like Patrick Crayton. Out of all the guys on that list, he seems to be the most consistently WR without succumbing to too much injury/off-the-field problems. He did have ankle surgery at the beginning of last season, but he still outperformed Mike Sims-Walker, who's performed poorly in two tryouts already this offseason with the Texans and Titans.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to bring anybody in for a tryout.
    The pickings are really slim now. With Holmes almost certainly out this coming friday against the Bengals. This first preseason game will tell the Jets a lot. Players like Schilens, Hill,Kerley,Turner and company are going to get extended playing time.

That game could determine a lot based on production and the progress of Holmes. The Jets may bring in a veteran just for camp purposes with no guarantee to even make the opening day roster.

Crayton is 33 years old but he seems like a logical choice to me especially if Kerley's injury issues linger. Camarillo is also a possibility as a slot guy. In 2009, He was a quality player. Caught 55 passes out of the slot and didn't drop a single pass all season. Obviously, Sparano has familiarity with him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If I understand correctly Holmes tore cartilage in his ribcage with no broken bones. That's pretty much just a pain tolerance injury from my understanding, time for Holmes to man up.
    The Jets need Holmes desperately. They are going to baby him and hope that he is ready to go when the bullets start flying in September. They can't afford to lose him. It wouldn't have been that big of an issue if a certain guy in Seattle was here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roy Williams seems like the best option to me. He averages over 600 yards per year on average and 5 tds which is about what we need.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Roy Williams seems like the best option to me. He averages over 600 yards per year on average and 5 tds which is about what we need.
    Roy has always had the talent but he has a reputation of being a guy who doesn't always give maximum effort. He has also lost a couple of steps.He isn't a big play guy anymore. You could do worse than him and he is an established veteran but he has never been a favorite of mine. I had to list him based on his resume.

I would at the bare minimum invite some of the available names in for workouts. Roy and Mike Williams(provided he is healthy) as well as Camarillo, Crayton, Walker and Clayton. It wouldn't hurt to look.
    Last edited by LeonM; 08-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our receiving group sucks so bad especially with depth. We have one of the most unproven/non-intimidating groups in the entire league. With that being said bring in Sims Walker. He's the only guy worth the risk. Let him take a physical and if he passes put him on the team. Plax was off for a couple of years I really think he's going to be a lot better in year 2 than he was in year 1 coming out of prison ... If he takes 2 mil ... I say go at him as well. He's a proven red zone target and if used properly can still be effective. I felt we used him too bland last year. Plax for a big guy can actually move around and play some slot and etc. He played outside all year last year. Maybe if we do some different things with him and actually use him properly he can be more effective. If I had to choose though I'd take a gamble with Sims Walker strictly based on ability. He's got really solid hands and he can do a bit of everything.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Our receiving group sucks so bad especially with depth. We have one of the most unproven/non-intimidating groups in the entire league. With that being said bring in Sims Walker. He's the only guy worth the risk. Let him take a physical and if he passes put him on the team. Plax was off for a couple of years I really think he's going to be a lot better in year 2 than he was in year 1 coming out of prison ... If he takes 2 mil ... I say go at him as well. He's a proven red zone target and if used properly can still be effective. I felt we used him too bland last year. Plax for a big guy can actually move around and play some slot and etc. He played outside all year last year. Maybe if we do some different things with him and actually use him properly he can be more effective. If I had to choose though I'd take a gamble with Sims Walker strictly based on ability. He's got really solid hands and he can do a bit of everything.
    Solid post. Good points. These players should be on the Jets radar. I would love to see Mike Tannenbaum's emergency short list for veteran players. All GM's have one for each position. At the bare minimum, Just bringing in these guys for workouts puts the current receivers on the roster on notice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    None.

Chill out,fellas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we jump in the Delorean, go back in time 3 years, and offer DAL that 2nd round pick for Miles Austin?

Because man, that list does not make me feel giddy with its potential.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    None.

Chill out,fellas.
    Another one of those valuable post count responses on JI that add nothing to a discussion. I used to post on this forum back in 2005 and rejoined in 2010 and I have seen many of these types of posts.

I like the user name though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll bet money that Crayton is a Jet by next week. Punt returning, and knowing the offense is the key there. Doesn't mean he'll be a Jet game one, but I'd sign him as insurance. We do have a lot of if's and maybe's right now.