Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Available Veteran Free Agent Receivers

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Can we jump in the Delorean, go back in time 3 years, and offer DAL that 2nd round pick for Miles Austin?

Because man, that list does not make me feel giddy with its potential.
    LOL.

Can Biff play wide receiver?

This list is the reason that the guy in Seattle made so much sense.

I like Mike Tannenbaum but in the NFL, You have to safe guard yourself in case of injury. You have to play the what if game. The Jets are banking on a lot of young unproven players this season to provide important depth at several different positions see RB,TE,OL etc

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'll bet money that Crayton is a Jet by next week. Punt returning, and knowing the offense is the key there. Doesn't mean he'll be a Jet game one, but I'd sign him as insurance. We do have a lot of if's and maybe's right now.
    Your last sentence sums everything up. The Jets are loaded with a lot of if's and maybe's on their team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Another one of those valuable post count responses on JI that add nothing to a discussion. I used to post on this forum back in 2005 and rejoined in 2010 and I have seen many of these types of posts.

I like the user name though.
    None of those players are worth even thinking about. If the Jets are interested in taking a looksie at any WR's, they can do so after Cut-downs after the last pre-season game.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    None of those players are worth even thinking about. If the Jets are interested in taking a looksie at any WR's, they can do so after Cut-downs after the last pre-season game.
    Better.:-)

I am holding out hope that the Seattle guy doesn't hit it off with his new team, gets cut and comes back here. It's not happening.

The problem with cut downs after the last preseason game is that the player who gets picked up has no experience in the offense or has not worked with a teams quarterbacks to develop some chemistry. You are asking a lot of a player to come in just a few days before an opener, pick up an entire offense and be ready to go with his teammates.

The Jets have a history of picking up players each year at the cut down deadline sometimes even trading for guys. Last season, The Jets picked up Mardy Gilyard. That didn't work out so well, Did it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it isn't Plaxico or T.O., there's no reason to sign anyone else on that list. For what? #4 or 5 duty? Let the youngsters play if that's the case.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Danny Amendola can be added to the list as a RFA I believe.

He was tendered a 2nd by the Rams.

Technically, he's available.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats are likely to keep only one of the three.....Gaffney, Branch , or Stallworth. I'm guessing it's Gaffney.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Pats are likely to keep only one of the three.....Gaffney, Branch , or Stallworth. I'm guessing it's Gaffney.
    I don't know about that. The Patriots have a tendency to keep 7 wr's on their roster. Sometimes, They will carry 8.

Most NFL teams carry 5 or 6 receivers on their active 53 man roster. The teams that employ 4 or 5 wr sets heavily, keep more. Even the Jets with a ground and pound style, figure to keep 6. Holmes, Hill, Schilens, Kerley, Turner and White.

Barring injury, The Pats receivers will look like this.

1-Brandon Lloyd
    2-Wes Welker
    3-Deion Branch
    4-Jabar Gaffney
    5-Donte Stallworth
    6-Julian Edelman
    7-Matthew Slater

Outside looking in are Jesse Holley, Jeremy Ebert etc

One must remember that Edelman plays multiple roles and even counts on the roster as an extra DB. Slater is the team's deep threat but the other vets are more versed and accomplished in the offense than he is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4536331]Our receiving group sucks so bad especially with depth. We have one of the most unproven/non-intimidating groups in the entire league.

worse than cleveland??? or worse than seattle???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's time to let the kids play... if we're ever going to have a real playmaker on offense we need to develop young talent like hill

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    it's time to let the kids play... if we're ever going to have a real playmaker on offense we need to develop young talent like hill

+1.
    where is the faith in the scouting dept. if we cannot trust in this logic??? at the very least until the trading deadline in week 6...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't see the point in any of them. There is really nothing any of them have done that you can't get out of a no name. If we loose Holmes I'd be OK with Roy I guess. I'll pass on either of the Claytons or Walker. I'm not saying he is better then average but he is better then the rest. Exp maybe TO who I just wouldn't want. He really played what maybe 9 games last year really and had 37 rec and 507 yards. Part of that was with Caleb Hanie!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of looking at these WRs, a particularly unimpressive list by the way, I wonder who would be available on a discounted trade... similar to the Holmes deal.

There have to be a few veterans out there near the end of a contract who could be had for a 5th rounder.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antonio Bryant was just released by Seattle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    That would give them no time to learn the offense and contribute in the short-term.

We're not looking to uncover Calvin Johnson (though it would be nice). We just need a guy whose dependable, healthy, and can catch a pass or two if needed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Instead of looking at these WRs, a particularly unimpressive list by the way, I wonder who would be available on a discounted trade... similar to the Holmes deal.

There have to be a few veterans out there near the end of a contract who could be had for a 5th rounder.
    Mike Wallace. Same team, same deal

I can dream.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Antonio Bryant was just released by Seattle.
    He's 31 and lasted something like 10 days with the Seahawks. No thanks, he was never even that good anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    our **** drafts have caught up...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Britt maybe for a 5th. I could see the packers moving Greg Jennings or NY moving Victor Cruz but not for a 5th. I think Cruz is still up for a deal in 2013 but I could be wrong. With Nicks, Rueben Randle, Jernigan, and Hixon I'd think Cruz would be trade bate. No way they shell out big money to keep him. A Sanchez Cruz combo would be a Latin sensation I would think. Also is Bowe actually holding out right now or hurt? I could see KC moving him for a 2nd rounder but we'd have to deal out anther 50 mil deal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post

PLAXICO BURRESS

Have to mention his name because he is currently available. Sounds like he has workout scheduled with Raiders. I think this ship has sailed.
    Seriously doubt Plaxico Burress is a serious option for the Raiders. They have their top five wr's pretty much picked already. 1. Denarius moore 2. DHB 3. Jacoby Ford 4 Juron Criner 5 Rod Streater (pretty much locks) There are a couple of guys competing for the last Wr spot Eddie McGee 6'3 210 , Derek Carrier 6'4 238 and Duke Calhoun 6'2 200.

Only way the Raiders even think of signing P Burress if they get a rash of injuries at the wr position. If they don't you can expect them to pass.