Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Available Veteran Free Agent Receivers

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Britt maybe for a 5th. I could see the packers moving Greg Jennings or NY moving Victor Cruz but not for a 5th. I think Cruz is still up for a deal in 2013 but I could be wrong. With Nicks, Rueben Randle, Jernigan, and Hixon I'd think Cruz would be trade bate. No way they shell out big money to keep him. A Sanchez Cruz combo would be a Latin sensation I would think. Also is Bowe actually holding out right now or hurt? I could see KC moving him for a 2nd rounder but we'd have to deal out anther 50 mil deal.
    I'd be shocked if the giants traded cruz... they are going to need all the firepower they have to compete in that division

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Britt maybe for a 5th. I could see the packers moving Greg Jennings or NY moving Victor Cruz but not for a 5th. I think Cruz is still up for a deal in 2013 but I could be wrong. With Nicks, Rueben Randle, Jernigan, and Hixon I'd think Cruz would be trade bate. No way they shell out big money to keep him. A Sanchez Cruz combo would be a Latin sensation I would think. Also is Bowe actually holding out right now or hurt? I could see KC moving him for a 2nd rounder but we'd have to deal out anther 50 mil deal.
    lol, you're ridiculous. That, or a good troll.

Britt is rehabbing a major knee injury and facing suspension. He's also the Titans' best receiver who they want to hang onto, despite his countless **** ups.

Jennings? You mean GB's top WR who arguably has the most chemistry with Rodgers? Why would GB trade him, to be left with Nelson, Driver, and Cobb as the top three? He's not even 29 and by far a top-10 WR in the NFL. The Packers are one of the best-run franchises around. No ****ing chance.

Why in the **** would the Giants trade away one of the game's best playmakers and biggest diamond in the rough in recent memory? Nicks is hurt and iffy for the first game of the year, Randle is a rookie who needs to polish his route running, and Jernigan and Hixon are nothing more than complementary players. Next year, the Giants will break the bank on Cruz and quite happily at that. You think they'd trade him to an in-city rival? Okay.

Not only would Bowe want a huge contract, but he has a pretty ****ty attitude and would not gel in another run-oriented offense. His and Holmes' personalities clashing would be an unmitigated disaster waiting to happen.

Like I said, you are out of your mind, have no understanding how the NFL works, or a decent troll with nothing better to do. If it's the latter, then, well, you got me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I'd be shocked if the giants traded cruz... they are going to need all the firepower they have to compete in that division
    Nicks is the best they have. Hixon is healthy and was a hands master not so long ago. Randle was a 2nd rounder and Jernigan by all accounts has been on fire in camp. Cruz is on his last year and will be looking for insane cash. The NY media really made this guy into a super star. I don't think the Giants will resign him so if they can get something and don't really need him why not? I don't see anyone else in that division really catching the Giants in all reality. The passing game is not the issue in NY right now. I think no matter what they do they are in great shape there. Question is what would they want I couldn't say.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicks is the best they have. Hixon is healthy and was a hands master not so long ago. Randle was a 2nd rounder and Jernigan by all accounts has been on fire in camp. Cruz is on his last year and will be looking for insane cash. The NY media really made this guy into a super star. I don't think the Giants will resign him so if they can get something and don't really need him why not? I don't see anyone else in that division really catching the Giants in all reality. The passing game is not the issue in NY right now. I think no matter what they do they are in great shape there. Question is what would they want I couldn't say.
    He had over 1500 yards receiving, yet the media "made" him into a superstar.

LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, you're ridiculous. That, or a good troll.

Britt is rehabbing a major knee injury and facing suspension. He's also the Titans' best receiver who they want to hang onto, despite his countless **** ups.
    That is what you get for a 5th. I'm not saying I would jump on it but that is the best you'd get for that price.

Jennings? You mean GB's top WR who arguably has the most chemistry with Rodgers? Why would GB trade him, to be left with Nelson, Driver, and Cobb as the top three? He's not even 29 and by far a top-10 WR in the NFL. The Packers are one of the best-run franchises around. No ****ing chance.
    That right there tells me you know zip about WRs. Jennings is not a top ten in the NFL. He is on the top passing game in the NFL but not a top WR. Nelson just lead the team in every stat last year so not even the best on the team. Jones has been extended they just drafted Cobb and Boykin. How many WRs do you think teams need? There is a price there. Don't know what it would be but not as high as your making it out to be. If I'm GBs GM I'd be shopping Jennings. He is a FA and his agent is likely saying the same crazy BS your trying to spew. If they haven't extended him yet I don't see GB opening the bank either.

Why in the **** would the Giants trade away one of the game's best playmakers and biggest diamond in the rough in recent memory? Nicks is hurt and iffy for the first game of the year, Randle is a rookie who needs to polish his route running, and Jernigan and Hixon are nothing more than complementary players. Next year, the Giants will break the bank on Cruz and quite happily at that. You think they'd trade him to an in-city rival? Okay

I completely disagree here. Nicks is a stud. Injury a side he is the one in NY. Cruz is good but NY is not going to break the bank trying to keep him. They have what they need. Again how many WRs do you think a team needs? If you don't have to pay a guy 50mil because you already have his replacement you just dont. It is bad business and not how to win SBs. Why do you think guys like Plax and Holmes jump to other teams after they win SB MVPs? It is not rocket science.

Not only would Bowe want a huge contract, but he has a pretty ****ty attitude and would not gel in another run-oriented offense. His and Holmes' personalities clashing would be an unmitigated disaster waiting to happen.
    I'm not saying I'd want these guy just that they could be had more then likely. These are the guys that are simply likely to be shopped worth having. Attitude or not Bowe is a player.

Like I said, you are out of your mind, have no understanding how the NFL works, or a decent troll with nothing better to do. If it's the latter, then, well, you got me.
    Same to you. lol If you really think teams with 4-5 starters at WR can keep them all at top dollar you're nuts. If you don't think teams like NY and GB could use the cap you don't get the sport. I'm sorry if I'm the one to explain it to you.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Instead of looking at these WRs, a particularly unimpressive list by the way, I wonder who would be available on a discounted trade... similar to the Holmes deal.

There have to be a few veterans out there near the end of a contract who could be had for a 5th rounder.
    It's rare that a star receiver would be available for a 5th rounder like Holmes was.

Guys like Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe are not going to be traded. The Jets loved Percy Harvin coming out of college but I doubt that Minnesota will trade him.

So that puts the Jets in that second and third tier level. I have studied this.

There are very few plausible targets out there as far as potential starters. The Chiefs don't appear ready to give up on Jonathan Baldwin. The Redskins appear to have a logjam at receiver and at one point, It appeared that Santana Moss could be the odd man out but he has had a great offseason and it looks like he may have a similar rebirth with RG3 that Steve Smith had in Carolina last year with Cam Newton.

One player who has talent and may be in the doghouse with his team is Arrelious Benn of the Buccaneers. It's possible that he could get traded by Tampa before the season starts.

There are not many viable starting options in this area.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He had over 1500 yards receiving, yet the media "made" him into a superstar.

LOL
    He had a great year and will be paid because of it. I'm not stating other wise. The media has made him out to be the best ever. He is not there and I'd be weary of making him a top 5 paid WR in the league. That is what you are talking about here. If he has anther 1500 season what kind of money do you think he'd be asking for? Now I love Fitz but deals like that only cripple a team. The Giants are not going to sign that deal I assure you. They are way smarter then that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    It's rare that a star receiver would be available for a 5th rounder like Holmes was.

Guys like Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe are not going to be traded. The Jets loved Percy Harvin coming out of college but I doubt that Minnesota will trade him.

There are very few plausible targets out there as far as potential starters. The Chiefs don't appear ready to give up on Jonathan Baldwin. The Redskins appear to have a logjam at receiver and at one point, It appeared that Santana Moss could be the odd man out but he has had a great offseason and it looks like he may have a similar rebirth with RG3 that Steve Smith had in Carolina last year with Cam Newton.

One player who has talent and may be in the doghouse with his team is Arrelious Benn of the Buccaneers. It's possible that he could get traded by Tampa before the season starts.

I couldn't agree more with this. The thing is I just don't want any WR if this team adds anther one. I love Moss but don't see how a guy like that makes us better. If that is the "answer to a Holmes injury" I'd rather stay with the young unproven guys. I have mentioned Cruz. Do you think Cruz would be a "superstar" if the Giants had gone out and signed Plax or Edwards like many thought they would in the off season last year? Teams just don't win without a little faith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets don't need to replicate the deal they got for Holmes. They don't need a superstar who will soon demand a monster contract. They don't need a starter. I think Hill will be handed that job as long as he doesn't completely sh!t himself in pre-season.

With Holmes already here and having just taken Hill, they just need a middle of the pack type of guy. Someone like Early Doucet or Jason Avant. Louis Murphy is a FA after this season.

Jacoby Ford's deal is up after next season.

There are options. WR is one of the positions most frequently traded.

And who knows what players get cut for cap reasons.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't agree more with this. The thing is I just don't want any WR if this team adds anther one. I love Moss but don't see how a guy like that makes us better. If that is the "answer to a Holmes injury" I'd rather stay with the young unproven guys. I have mentioned Cruz. Do you think Cruz would be a "superstar" if the Giants had gone out and signed Plax or Edwards like many thought they would in the off season last year? Teams just don't win without a little faith.
    I understand the Cruz analogy and believe me, The Jets front office and coaching staff always thinks of how Cruz has come to be and even going back how Wayne Chrebet came to be for their very franchise.

At this point if the Jets go the veteran route, I think that they will do it after week one of the preseason. I think that the coaching staff and front office will have a better idea of where they stand with their receiver position after Friday night's game with the Bengals.

Injuries do happen in this league and it's better to be safe than sorry. The Jets probably feel that their group of wideouts should be enough. They are banking on Hill, Schilens, Kerley, Turner and Jordan White to support Holmes. That's the projected 6 receivers to make the Jets opening day roster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Sanchez Cruz combo would be a Latin sensation I would think.
    That's the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If it isn't Plaxico or T.O., there's no reason to sign anyone else on that list. For what? #4 or 5 duty? Let the youngsters play if that's the case.
    So true. Use the young guys and see what happens. Bringing in an over the hill player will slow their development. It's not like the Jets are going to make a run. I hope the young guys play lights out and we can get rid of Holmes.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets don't need to replicate the deal they got for Holmes. They don't need a superstar who will soon demand a monster contract. They don't need a starter. I think Hill will be handed that job as long as he doesn't completely sh!t himself in pre-season.

With Holmes already here and having just taken Hill, they just need a middle of the pack type of guy. Someone like Early Doucet or Jason Avant. Louis Murphy is a FA after this season.

Jacoby Ford's deal is up after next season.

There are options. WR is one of the positions most frequently traded.

And who knows what players get cut for cap reasons.
    The reality is that after looking at and discussing all the potential available options for the Jets at the receiver position. There is no wide receiver available on the market that presents a viable starting option at the position. There was one last week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reality is that after looking at and discussing all the potential available options for the Jets at the receiver position. There is no wide receiver available on the market that presents a viable starting option at the position. There was one last week.

And this what is so sad......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenning's is absolutely the best receiver on Green Bay. He's the guy the defense pays the most attention to and he's the guy that would have the most value on the open market. Nelson is a very good receiver in an ideal situation, but he's not Jennings.

Similarly, Hakeem Nicks is a better receiver than Victor Cruz. Cruz is still a very good receiver in his own right.

The Packers and Giants are actually two teams that have made WR depth a priority. The Giants, in particular, have spent a number of relatively high picks on receivers in the last 4-5 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't possibly know who is or is not "on the market" there are most certainly players available via trade and more players will be cut in the next couple of weeks.

I assume you're talking about Braylon? Don't act like he was the end-all be-all fix.

Nobody was a bigger Edwards fan than me, but let's not act like he's a sure bet to start either.

The Jets probably are not looking for a starter. They don't really need anyone. But if it were up to me, I'd be looking for a veteran to push Schilens, Kerley and Turner. Jordan White will probably end up on IR so they can stash him away.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sims-Walker is intriguing, but RT should be the 1st priority

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't possibly know who is or is not "on the market" there are most certainly players available via trade and more players will be cut in the next couple of weeks.

I assume you're talking about Braylon? Don't act like he was the end-all be-all fix.

Nobody was a bigger Edwards fan than me, but let's not act like he's a sure bet to start either.

The Jets probably are not looking for a starter. They don't really need anyone. But if it were up to me, I'd be looking for a veteran to push Schilens, Kerley and Turner. Jordan White will probably end up on IR so they can stash him away.
    The veteran to push Schilens, Kerley, Turner and White was on the market this time last week and was the perfect fit for the Jets. Unfortunately, The Jets missed the boat on that player again. This can't be disputed. The guy in Seattle is better than every receiver on the Jets roster and the argument can be made that he is a more complete receiver than Santonio when it comes to being physical and being a deep threat. Ironically, less of a headache too.

This thread wasn't supposed to be about Braylon Edwards(there, I said it) but it ends up being about him. Just an in depth look at what's available now at WR and where the Jets currently stand at the position.

The Jets are banking heavily on Stephen Hill and Chaz Schilens. I hope that those two guys pan out.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    He's 31 and lasted something like 10 days with the Seahawks. No thanks, he was never even that good anyway.
    Not to mention he hasn't played since 2009 I believe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    [/B]

And this what is so sad......
    Ugh. Don't get me started on that.