Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Available Veteran Free Agent Receivers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The Jets dodged a major bullet last night when word got back on Santonio Holmes x-rays being negative. That still doesn't hide the fact that the Jets wide receiving group is a large question mark going into this season.

To spare people and Jets fans, I will not mention a certain players name who should have been signed. That topic has been beaten to death and I have already illustrated where I stand on that one earlier this week.

The Jets could really use some veteran insurance at the wide receiver position. The market is bare but let's take a quick look at some of the options out there.

TERRELL OWENS

The media would have a field day with this one. Haters of the Jets would pray for this scenario. I don't see it happening but Owens is worth noting.

PATRICK CRAYTON

This actually makes some sense. I have never been a big fan of this player but he has starting experience with Tony Sparano in his offense and he can return punts well. So he brings some game day value.

GREG CAMARILLO

See Patrick Crayton in terms of veteran experience working for Sparano.

PLAXICO BURRESS

Have to mention his name because he is currently available. Sounds like he has workout scheduled with Raiders. I think this ship has sailed.

MARK CLAYTON

The former Oklahoma star never became one in Baltimore but then began to emerge in St.Louis before injuries have derailed his career.

MIKE WILLIAMS

Another college mega star who came into the league with big hype. He was a dissapointment early in his career and then redeemed himself in Seattle before injuries derailed him and he was recently released. He's a big physical receiver but a red flag when it comes to his health.

ROY WILLIAMS

This is yet another mega star in college who started off his career well in Detroit but has never lived up to billing with the Lions, Cowboys and Bears.

ANTHONY GONZALEZ

Former first round pick with major durability issues. Recently released by Patriots.

JUSTIN GAGE

Big physical target who is 31 and has been out of work for a year now. Brings no special teams value and would strictly be possession type receiver.

MIKE SIMS WALKER

27 year old receiver who looked like he was on the verge of becoming a quality starting NFL wideout with good combination of size and speed. He hasn't been able to latch on to a team after fizzling out in St.Louis and getting hurt in Jacksonville after his return there.

I listed about 10 options here as anyone can see. The pickings are slim.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Nicks is the best they have. Hixon is healthy and was a hands master not so long ago. Randle was a 2nd rounder and Jernigan by all accounts has been on fire in camp. Cruz is on his last year and will be looking for insane cash. The NY media really made this guy into a super star. I don't think the Giants will resign him so if they can get something and don't really need him why not? I don't see anyone else in that division really catching the Giants in all reality. The passing game is not the issue in NY right now. I think no matter what they do they are in great shape there. Question is what would they want I couldn't say.
    Giants aren't trading Cruz. I'd be shocked if they didn't ultimately resign him. Him and Nicks are going to be dominant for years together.

Jets should have signed Braylon or Cotch this off-season. Other than that I don't blame them for not signing any of those clowns aforementioned to include Plaxighost.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If it isn't Plaxico or T.O., there's no reason to sign anyone else on that list. For what? #4 or 5 duty? Let the youngsters play if that's the case.
    TO is so done it's not even funny. The knee injury was the nail in the coffin.

Plax is old, slow, diva, lockerroom cancer - yep he'll probably be wearing a Jet jersey if Holmes goes down with an injury.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year one of our key problems outside of the offensive line were slow, aging, washed up, past their prime, on the verge of near retirement types of wide receivers in Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress. It's time to go with a youth movement with younger athletes such as Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens and Patrick Turner. We'll be better off because of it. Especially next season, because a continued revolving door at the WR position could end up stunting Sanchez's growth moving forward. Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller both provide Sanchez with veteran options. Let these veteran receivers retire while our younger talents gain experience with playing time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to profootballtalk.com Terrell Owens is on his way up to Seattle. That would be an interesting combo of Edwards and Owens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If I understand correctly Holmes tore cartilage in his ribcage with no broken bones. That's pretty much just a pain tolerance injury from my understanding, time for Holmes to man up.
    I think the pain reflex will make holding on to the ball difficult so that ball control may be an issue. QBs get to wear a 8lb flak jacket to protect thier ribs.

I hurt my ribs skiing, for two weeks I could hardly breathe. Unlike a knee or a elbow you can't completely immobilize a rib. Every time you breathe it hurts, asking a guy to run 40 yards with 30 lbs of gear on so that he is gasping is asking too much.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    According to profootballtalk.com Terrell Owens is on his way up to Seattle. That would be an interesting combo of Edwards and Owens.
    as far as skill set goes they compliment each other very well, Owens has been one of the best under/crossing guys and Braylon is a deep/outside guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFlyingHigh View Post
    Last year one of our key problems outside of the offensive line were slow, aging, washed up, past their prime, on the verge of near retirement types of wide receivers in Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress. It's time to go with a youth movement with younger athletes such as Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens and Patrick Turner. We'll be better off because of it. Especially next season, because a continued revolving door at the WR position could end up stunting Sanchez's growth moving forward. Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller both provide Sanchez with veteran options. Let these veteran receivers retire while our younger talents gain experience with playing time.
    This Sanchez development cycle is being talked about too much. Your now talking about his development be hindered during his 5th year in the league due to the quality of WRs.

Having a bunch of inexperienced guys may make the passing game less effective, but it is not going to retard Sanchez's development in year 5 of his career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    This Sanchez development cycle is being talked about too much. Your now talking about his development be hindered during his 5th year in the league due to the quality of WRs.

Having a bunch of inexperienced guys may make the passing game less effective, but it is not going to retard Sanchez's development in year 5 of his career.
    4th

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    4th
    That is this year, jetsflyinghigh was speaking on next year (year 5) if vets were signed this year. He was speaking of the need for continuity. This year already has a diff #2 than last year and a dif #3 from the start of last year.
    Last edited by patman; 08-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link for the Seahawks giving T.O. a tryout.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...llowens06.html
    Last edited by Scandal26; 08-06-2012 at 09:27 AM.