Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mars Curiosity Mission to Land (or Crash) in 1 Hour, 30 Min (1:30 EST)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    No problem, Limpdick.
    LOL

GFY

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    He's in the Navy Sea Cadets program. They train one weekend a month, and go on weeklong trainings at different times during the year. It's a great way for kids who might be interested in the military to see what it's about and determine whether it's for them. He's had his heart set on going to Annapolis since he was 6 years old...if he stays in this program until he's 17 it's a huge plus.
    Congrats to your kid. He sounds like he's very motivated.

My sopne's best friend's father is a big shot at Annapolis. I forget if he is an admiral or not. But very high up. Anyway, his son would have easily walked into Annapolis but he wanted to do everything on his own.

So he applied to West Point and got in. He already graduated. I think he is in some officer training now before he heads to Afghanistan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's in the Navy Sea Cadets program. They train one weekend a month, and go on weeklong trainings at different times during the year. It's a great way for kids who might be interested in the military to see what it's about and determine whether it's for them. He's had his heart set on going to Annapolis since he was 6 years old...if he stays in this program until he's 17 it's a huge plus.
    I hope he sticks with it. One of the biggest regrets I've lhad is not going to the Naval Academy - I had Congressional appointment, grades, stellar interviews with Blue and Gold officers, etc. - but in the end I chickened out and decided I wanted the "traditional college experience" instead. Idiot. :thumbdown: That said, I know several guys who graduated around the same time I would have who were killed in Iraq. Google Ronnie Winchester. Knew him during his time at the academy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Google Ronnie Winchester. Knew him during his time at the academy.
    Good man. Was a local guy.

RIP, Sir.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Well, as awesome as driving 1,100 miles in one weekend can be. Seeing the boy for the first time in a week (no communication at all) was a really great moment. And he was still smiling after a week living on that giant tin can and getting yelled at:

Awesome story and photo Shakin, gotta be proud.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the Civil Air Patrol, which helped me become an officer. Didn't even know about the sea cadets, considering I went into the Navy. Both are great programs. And the federal Academies are all great too. Got a buddy who went MBA and has been working for UBS for several years. His boss is a former Naval sub Capt who only recently got out. Didn't have much finance experience. But they made him boss based on his leadership experience so what they say is true (not that they let dummies command navy nuke subs anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The space program is one of the symbols of American supremacy, of course the libs want it gone.
    You don't really believe that, do you? I find that NASA transcends normal right wing, left wing politics. Much is based on regional concerns. JPL, the people who made this rover, is in Pasadena, CA. I bet there are elected democrats in that area who are fighting for NASA to get more funding for projects like these. Then you have the rocket companies, like ULA, based in Alabama, with Republican representation who are also fighting for more NASA bucks too so they can launch more rockets carrying projects like these.

On the other side you have both left and right fighting for that money to be spent on other things are not be spent at all as part of reducing government.

I for one feel that NASA should get more money that would otherwise be going toward military jets, like Warfish is saying, and also from education. I think NASA does far more to inspire and motivate kids to try harder in school than other ways. It might even get some kids to put down their video game controller for a bit. There will certainly be some who will choose to get into robotics thanks to this rover, I guarantee.

And thanks to companies like SpaceX, NASA is finally starting to figure out how to do more with less. I don't want to just increase the NASA budget if they spend it like they did in years past. They need to change the way they do business and that is just starting to happen. Stay tuned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    I was in the Civil Air Patrol, which helped me become an officer. Didn't even know about the sea cadets, considering I went into the Navy. Both are great programs. And the federal Academies are all great too. Got a buddy who went MBA and has been working for UBS for several years. His boss is a former Naval sub Capt who only recently got out. Didn't have much finance experience. But they made him boss based on his leadership experience so what they say is true (not that they let dummies command navy nuke subs anyways)

You don't really believe that, do you? I find that NASA transcends normal right wing, left wing politics. Much is based on regional concerns. JPL, the people who made this rover, is in Pasadena, CA. I bet there are elected democrats in that area who are fighting for NASA to get more funding for projects like these. Then you have the rocket companies, like ULA, based in Alabama, with Republican representation who are also fighting for more NASA bucks too so they can launch more rockets carrying projects like these.

On the other side you have both left and right fighting for that money to be spent on other things are not be spent at all as part of reducing government.

I for one feel that NASA should get more money that would otherwise be going toward military jets, like Warfish is saying, and also from education. I think NASA does far more to inspire and motivate kids to try harder in school than other ways. It might even get some kids to put down their video game controller for a bit. There will certainly be some who will choose to get into robotics thanks to this rover, I guarantee.

And thanks to companies like SpaceX, NASA is finally starting to figure out how to do more with less. I don't want to just increase the NASA budget if they spend it like they did in years past. They need to change the way they do business and that is just starting to happen. Stay tuned.

Hey buddy ....this is the hampuer...you keep that common sense crap outta here....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Hey buddy ....this is the hampuer...you keep that common sense crap outta here....
    We were all replying to a troll anyway. There was never a real honest discussion going in the first place. Waste of time, start to finish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The space program is one of the symbols of American supremacy, of course the libs want it gone.

This thread is useless without shops of Stokes.
    I know plenty of cons who think it's a waste of time too.

I disagree with all of them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post

Good post

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Good post
    I saw your namesake at the Smithsonian a few weeks ago.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Good post
    Bannable offense here in the Hampur, IMO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, anyone who thinks the Space Program's contributions to the world is relegated only to sh!t like Tang is either misinformed, or (in FF2's case) a total f*cking moron.

NASA has completely changed the way we live and raised our standard of living. To downplay all they've accomplished is downright foolish.

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/

http://www.ehow.com/info_8138279_con...echnology.html

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    By the way, anyone who thinks the Space Program's contributions to the world is relegated only to sh!t like Tang is either misinformed, or (in FF2's case) a total f*cking moron.
    Agreed....the astronaut ice cream is the bomb. Overlook that at your peril.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Agreed....the astronaut ice cream is the bomb. Overlook that at your peril.
    Or the simple pencil eraser.

Invented.... in the moon.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

NASA has completely changed the way we live and raised our standard of living. To downplay all they've accomplished is downright foolish.

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/

http://www.ehow.com/info_8138279_con...echnology.html

Not many people know this, but the Carvel Cherry Bonnet?

Space program. True story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do people persist in saying Tang is sh*t.

It's delicious.

I'd have a Tang with FF2.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Why do people persist in saying Tang is sh*t.

It's delicious.

I'd have a Tang with FF2.

_
    Ya know what's better than Tang? Ting. Jamaican grapefruit juice soda. Mixes great with rum.

You can drink Rum and Tings all day long. Not sure how it would hold on the moon though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ya know what's better than Tang? Ting. Jamaican grapefruit juice soda. Mixes great with rum.

You can drink Rum and Tings all day long. Not sure how it would hold on the moon though.
    Back in the day, before the insides of dishwashers were stainless, my Mom used to use Tang to clean the yellow/orange stain that used to build up on the insides of old dishwashers--run it with no dishes in it and just a cup of Tang and the citrus just stripped all those stains away--looked like brand new.

So when we got married, my wife would look at me like I was a congenital idiot when I'd put a big old container of Tang in the shopping cart--and she'd say something like "do you see what that sh*t does to the inside of a dishwasher? And you want to DRINK it?!?"

True story.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Back in the day, before the insides of dishwashers were stainless, my Mom used to use Tang to clean the yellow/orange stain that used to build up on the insides of old dishwashers--run it with no dishes in it and just a cup of Tang and the citrus just stripped all those stains away--looked like brand new.

So when we got married, my wife would look at me like I was a congenital idiot when I'd put a big old container of Tang in the shopping cart--and she'd say something like "do you see what that sh*t does to the inside of a dishwasher? And you want to DRINK it?!?"

True story.

_
    I still occasionally pour a Coca-Cola in the toilet before bed. Flush the next morning, and you'll never see it cleaner.

Haven't drank one in years.