Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80

Thread: 7 Dead at Sikh Temple in Wisconsin

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    How so?

    How are Non-Christian Americans ignorant of general Americans/Christians?

    I assure you, these Sihks probably had a far better understanding of Americans and Christians than this shooter had for "Muslims".

    Christians are probably the most publicly insulted group in this country, and it's perfectly acceptable.

    Blacks, Jews, illegals, gays, even muslims.....off limits. Not saying that they aren't badmouthed privately among individuals, but it's not a problem speaking publicly against Christians.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post


    The Hindu population generally welcomes and admires the Sikhs...they've contributed their way of life to the rich Indian culture, and have sacrificed much blood on the battlefields to keep India safe.

    It's tragic how even the slightest ignorance by one individual negatively impacts thus lives of so many...
    I don't know the full history, but its a milder form of the Sunni-Shia hatred.

  3. #23
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Christians are probably the most publicly insulted group in this country, and it's perfectly acceptable.

    Blacks, Jews, illegals, gays, even muslims.....off limits. Not saying that they aren't badmouthed privately among individuals, but it's not a problem speaking publicly against Christians.

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Christians are probably the most publicly insulted group in this country, and it's perfectly acceptable.

    Blacks, Jews, illegals, gays, even muslims.....off limits. Not saying that they aren't badmouthed privately among individuals, but it's not a problem speaking publicly against Christians.

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Christians are probably the most publicly insulted group in this country, and it's perfectly acceptable.

    Blacks, Jews, illegals, gays, even muslims.....off limits. Not saying that they aren't badmouthed privately among individuals, but it's not a problem speaking publicly against Christians.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    yes, this may a given right, but is not seen as acceptable by most people. this couldn't be uttered at the office. the KKK can march too.

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Christians are probably the most publicly insulted group in this country, and it's perfectly acceptable.

    Blacks, Jews, illegals, gays, even muslims.....off limits. Not saying that they aren't badmouthed privately among individuals, but it's not a problem speaking publicly against Christians.
    We're talking two very different things.

    Abuse (what you're discussing) and Ignorance of Other Cultures (what I'm discussing).

    I tend to agree, Christians (especially white, male Christians) are one of the few reamining "Open Season" groups for criticism and abuse without repurcussion or chiding from the usual suspects. But in fairness, that usually comes with being the dominant majority.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    We're talking two very different things.

    Abuse (what you're discussing) and Ignorance of Other Cultures (what I'm discussing).

    I tend to agree, Christians (especially white, male Christians) are one of the few reamining "Open Season" groups for criticism and abuse without repurcussion or chiding from the usual suspects. But in fairness, that usually comes with being the dominant majority.
    yes I see your point. i think part of the reason christians are abused stems from ignorance though. christians are often perceived as pushy, judgemental bible- thumpers since those are the ones you see on television.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yes I see your point. i think part of the reason christians are abused stems from ignorance though. christians are often perceived as pushy, judgemental bible- thumpers since those are the ones you see on television.
    and you them on TV for a reason: to keep the narrative by the media and Dems going.

    Normal Christians, hanging on a Jets site, checking the Hotties forum? They don't exist.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    oddly enough, my wife and I met on the same street the shooter lived on - about a mile north of his house though.

  11. #31
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yes I see your point. i think part of the reason christians are abused stems from ignorance though. christians are often perceived as pushy, judgemental bible- thumpers since those are the ones you see on television.
    Same way the average Muslim you see on TV (or reported about) has the word "bomb" or "Jihad" involved.

    But I maintain there is a difference between mischaracterization/sterotyping, and outright ignorance.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I don't know the full history, but its a milder form of the Sunni-Shia hatred.
    Simply for narrative, I'll divulge that I'm an Indian-American who grew up in a Hindu household.

    That said, I'm not going to claim to know more about the history than anyone else...but your two posts are the first I've ever heard of Sikh-Hindu tension to the sunni-shia degree...beyond the scope of radical extremists.

    I assure you- Hindus greatly admire what Sikhs mean to our country. They are the 'warrior class' (although Sikhism rebelled against the Hindu caste system so that's quite the quandary, haha), and they keep the borders safe.

    Anyway, I've brought upon a useless digression to the thread...fact is, yesterday's incident sucked.

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yes, this may a given right, but is not seen as acceptable by most people. this couldn't be uttered at the office. the KKK can march too.
    Not trying to be a dick (it just come natural) but what kind of anti white christian talk do you hear in your office?

    I see alot of comments lately about it being open season on white christians but I just dont hear it.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not trying to be a dick (it just come natural) but what kind of anti white christian talk do you hear in your office?
    not kidding

    a sh*tload. it could be because I live in the state with the lowest percentage of people who go to church. i guess they assume i'm not a christian because of the way i carry on.

  15. #35
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    not kidding

    a sh*tload. it could be because I live in the state with the lowest percentage of people who go to church. i guess they assume i'm not a christian because of the way i carry on.
    so are we talking jokes, outright hatred or what?

    I once was invited out on a clients boat for the day, was going to be an awesome day, tons of food, booze, deep sea fishing. Two minutes out he makes a vicious anti-semtic remark. I was like...hmmmmm...do I tell him now or later LOL
    Last edited by FF2®; 08-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not trying to be a dick (it just come natural) but what kind of anti white christian talk do you hear in your office?

    I see alot of comments lately about it being open season on white christians but I just dont hear it.
    As a catholic, I feel it.

    It can be very subtle at times...Ill give you a small example.

    The recent explosion of Beau Hossler into amatuer golf. he attends Santa Margarita CATHOLIC high school. yet when they speak about him in the press or on CBS, they say Santa margarita highschool. Google it...hard to find reference to Catholic.

    I saw SMCHS on his golf bag and googled it.

    No mention of the Catholic in his high school.

  17. #37
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    As a catholic, I feel it.

    It can be very subtle at times...Ill give you a small example.

    The recent explosion of Beau Hossler into amatuer golf. he attends Santa Margarita CATHOLIC high school. yet when they speak about him in the press or on CBS, they say Santa margarita highschool.

    I saw SMCHS on his golf bag and googled it.

    No mention of the Catholic in his high school.
    That's about as subtle as it gets.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    so are we talking jokes, outright hatred or what?

    I once was invited out on a clients boat for the day, was going to be an awesome day, tons of food, booze, deep sea fishing. Two minutes out he makes a vicious anti-semtic remark. I was like...hmmmmm...do I tell him now or later LOL
    hatred is a stong word, but it's close


    christians seem to be the enemies of gays up here and that plays a part. one of the guys carrying on last week was gay - babbling how christianity was a pile of s*** that was created to control the lower class and instill fear to keep them from uprising.

    other guy wasn't gay, but evidently christians have been harassing him his whole life and inviting him to concerts that always secretly turn out to be Christian concerts. they don't seem to know he's college educated,smarter than them, and capable of making informed decisions.

    these were both last week

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    As a catholic, I feel it.

    It can be very subtle at times...Ill give you a small example.

    The recent explosion of Beau Hossler into amatuer golf. he attends Santa Margarita CATHOLIC high school. yet when they speak about him in the press or on CBS, they say Santa margarita highschool. Google it...hard to find reference to Catholic.

    I saw SMCHS on his golf bag and googled it.

    No mention of the Catholic in his high school.
    I see your point, they have catholic in the title. However, they also left the C for catholic out of their web address.

    http://www.smhs.org/apps/news/show_n...D=239568&id=40

  20. #40
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Simply for narrative, I'll divulge that I'm an Indian-American


    All I can say is.....thank you.

    Your culture invented some of the greatest food around, hands down, bar none. And sadly, it doesn't get a hint of the respect/adulation here in the States that it deserves.

    Oh, and you're an ok poster, so I guess they gave us that too.

    I will say though, when I roll into the most authentic Indian restaurants, populated almost exclusively (it seems most days) by ethnic Indian Suncontinentals of the various stripes, they tend....to look at me kinda funny.

    Not sure if it's cause I'm fat as a house, or cause I'm usually the only anglo face in the place. Either way, the food rocks. Can't imagaine how much better home-cooked would be.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us