Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: NFL offers to reduce Vilma's suspension to 8 games

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't think he is buckling because of the suit, but because of the opinion of many that he is being to tough.

    I think of it as more of making peace with the union and the players than Vilma personally. Like charlie brown has said, the union even told Vilma he does not have a shot in court of proving it. But in any compromise with the union, management needs something, in this case keep the NFL out of court. Just going to court is a black eye on the NFL PR wise. l

    Oh I disagree. Goodell had appealed to courts and the Players Union to force Vilma to drop this suit and has not had much luck so far. I think Goodell is scared at the precedent it sets if a player personally sues him and wins. If Vilma wins this case it basically opens the door for all players to bring a personal lawsuit any time he hands out discipline. Goodell's offer was specifically dependent on Vilma's guarantee to drop the personal lawsuit.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Oh I disagree. Goodell had appealed to courts and the Players Union to force Vilma to drop this suit and has not had much luck so far. I think Goodell is scared at the precedent it sets if a player personally sues him and wins. If Vilma wins this case it basically opens the door for all players to bring a personal lawsuit any time he hands out discipline. Goodell's offer was specifically dependent on Vilma's guarantee to drop the personal lawsuit.
    It was reported that the original claim of an offer was false, though.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Not to mention who in the hell is going to challenge America in football?
    Good question indeed. Goodell is on a power trip and does things far too arbitrarily. The NFL would benefit from losing this despot.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly, who else even plays American football in the rest of the world? Canada?
    Canada is the only other country I can think of.

    And I don't see how some ragtag CFL defense could stop Rodgers or Brady from dropping 70+ on them.

    Hey, at least it would guarantee us another gold.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Canada is the only other country I can think of.

    And I don't see how some ragtag CFL defense could stop Rodgers or Brady from dropping 70+ on them.

    Hey, at least it would guarantee us another gold.
    I think the Aussies are pretty fond of American Football, too.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I think the Aussies are pretty fond of American Football, too.
    Maybe so, but who honestly thinks that they would provide us with any sort of legitimate competition?

    Football is basically a religion in this country.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Maybe so, but who honestly thinks that they would provide us with any sort of legitimate competition?

    Football is basically a religion in this country.
    Oh, I agree. I was just saying.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Canada is the only other country I can think of.

    And I don't see how some ragtag CFL defense could stop Rodgers or Brady from dropping 70+ on them.

    Hey, at least it would guarantee us another gold.
    Very true. Nobody else would have a QB worth starting... and if they did, he wouldn't be standing long.

    Although, it was the same situation with basketball. Nobody could touch the Dream Team but things are different today. More people across the globe are playing basketball because of them.

    I think football would see a similar explosion in global interest.

    The other hard part about making football an Olympic sport is, how many games could one team possibly play in two weeks?

  9. #29
    If I'm Vilma, I refuse to settle because the NFL has already tarnished my reputation so I'm going to tarnish Roger's reputation and make some money off of it. Roger may very well be found guilty of defamation because of the way he characterized this publicly.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.

  10. #30
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,262
    ... german love american football too ...





    (and david hasselhoff)



    l_j_r

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us