Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the Jets Can Become a Powerhouse Offense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    i think woody and rex will continue what has been going on for the last 40+ yrs,and thats the jets being the nfl's circus. woody is only concerned with one thing, headlines in the offseason to the giants. since woody has owned the team, the jets have done squat. the giants have been to 3 SB's , and winning 2. nothing has changed
    I love the Woody, Rex, Tannenbaum front office. Easily the best group they've had in my lifetime. Woody is a great owner always willing to spend what it takes and leaves the football decisions to the football people. Tannenbaum is easily the best GM we've had and one of the best in the game IMO. Our drafts the past 5-6 years have been as good as anyone's and he does a great job with the cap. Under Rex we've been a top tier D every season. Theres no reason to think that doesn't continue indefinately.

As a fan that has suffered through the bad times its nice to go into a season knowing that the team will contend. With a top notch D we will contend every year. The offense remains a work in progress but what other choice is there. You draft a young QB that shows promise and hope it works out. We will know more after this season on that front. Schitty, not Sanchez or Gholston, was the biggest mistake of the Tannenbaum era.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    +1 by all accounts Hill is a very good blocker. Why take his speed threat off the field for an additional TE.
    I think we go 2 WR 2 TE Baker can move between TE and FB. Could make us very versatile.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

5) Ricky Sapp being a LB unlike anything we have on our roster
    Isn't Ricky Sapp a lot like Maybin? Maybe a bit faster but he's being used in much the same way, no?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I find that interesting..... what that means is our TOP 5 D gave up a $hit load of points.
    Not only were the Jets top five last year, but Football Outsiders had them number TWO in the league. "But stats are bullsh*t!" you cry. They aren't the full story, but they are a good place to start, I reply.

Besides, the explanation for the discrepancy between the D's points allowed and more advanced qualitative measures is HIGHLY plausible. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. For one thing, the D was on the field for roughly an entire EXTRA GAME last year compared to league average: 201 drives faced verses 183 league average. When you look at points given up PER DRIVE, Jets were sixth in the league.

Story is here. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-anomaly-trend

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Not only were the Jets top five last year, but Football Outsiders had them number TWO in the league. "But stats are bullsh*t!" you cry. They aren't the full story, but they are a good place to start, I reply.

Besides, the explanation for the discrepancy between the D's points allowed and more advanced qualitative measures is HIGHLY plausible. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. For one thing, the D was on the field for roughly an entire EXTRA GAME last year compared to league average: 201 drives faced verses 183 league average. When you look at points given up PER DRIVE, Jets were sixth in the league.

Story is here. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-anomaly-trend
    Interesting but so easy to see. I went to last years scheduleand was earily reminded of how many games we were in that were "high scoring". The Dallas game 1 for example.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The only reason to do it is to try and exploit a personnel mismatch. When 3 TE's come on that field that have enough speed and pass catching ability to beat LB's and Safetys there is the opportunity to exploit a mismatch. You wouldn't run that offense exclusively but it makes sense to have a package based on 3 TE's. It can be primarily a run package with a set of passes to exploit any D that sells out against the run using a goaline/runstop D.
    I don't think we are going to find a better mismatch than a 6'4, 215 receiver with 4.3 speed. If Hill can master the intricacies of his position this year, he should NEVER come off the field. The key may be to move him around, put him in motion etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We scored the number of points that we did last year because of how great we were in the red zone. We didn't have many long drives, but they usually ended in TDs. It wasn't often that we had 50+ yard drives stall out at the 15. We finished 2nd in red zone TD%, but were #1 in the league by a pretty good margin until the last 3 games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year Plax was the #1 RZ weapon. And this year it's Tebow. Wonder how that'll work out.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    A top QB has a top Offense. Flacco only benefits from people thinking of the Possibility that he could be a top 10 QB. and Ray Rice.

all i'm saying is look at the statistics.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    We scored the number of points that we did last year because of how great we were in the red zone. We didn't have many long drives, but they usually ended in TDs. It wasn't often that we had 50+ yard drives stall out at the 15. We finished 2nd in red zone TD%, but were #1 in the league by a pretty good margin until the last 3 games.
    I think that was a bit of a statistical one year anomaly. Similar to the large percentage of fumbles lost last season and the large percentage of field goals made against us. All of those stats should return a bit to the mean. Anyone watching knows our offense was bad last season. The only game they played well in last season was the first Buffalo game. It was turnovers and 3 and outs galore all season long.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Last year Plax was the #1 RZ weapon. And this year it's Tebow. Wonder how that'll work out.
    Yeah for all those 3 yd TDs Plax had...

FWIW, last year Tebow averaged 5.8 ypc in the red zone with 6 TDs. He also converted on both two point attempts he had. He definitely sucks when asked to pass, but if they're near the goal line or need a short yardage conversion, I like the guy's chances.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    i think woody and rex will continue what has been going on for the last 40+ yrs,and thats the jets being the nfl's circus. woody is only concerned with one thing, headlines in the offseason to the giants. since woody has owned the team, the jets have done squat. the giants have been to 3 SB's , and winning 2. nothing has changed
    Ah yes, the trolling Giant fan is back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Ah yes, the trolling Giant fan is back.
    he is dramatic but his points have some validity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    We will become a powerhouse offense when we have a powerhouse at QB.
    I agree with this. Sanchez has been given more weapons then most and comes up short in the production department. He has the skills, toughness, and ability but has yet to put it all together for more then 2 or 3 games at a time. Unlike guys like Smith he is capable of having 300 yard games and can move well out side the pocket. I still point out his pump fake is a disgrace and he doesn't trust himself or others as much as he should. Sometime he should just be putting the ball up and just doesn't. I can only hope he shakes that. Last year to me he was just too gun shy.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find that interesting..... what that means is our TOP 5 D gave up a $hit load of points.
    Not really......if you consider that ALL points scored by turnovers on offense and special teams are also added to the defense when they aren't even on the field then you can see that that stat is VERY misleading....add to that the fact the Jets were on the field so much because of putrid offensive playcalling and play you can see that the defense is still special...it just needs some help from the other side of the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he is dramatic but his points have some validity.
    Why because he's a Jet hater just like you? The Giants were 9-7. If you were a Giant fan you'd want Coughlin fired. The last 3 years the Giants are 27-21. Worse than the Jets that you love to ***** about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    It's also a fact that our Defense and special teams put us in great postion time after time. We need to be more consistent. Losing Shotty will do wonders for that. Our Defense was still very good, but we gave up the edge on too many runs, and we couldn't stop good TEs or slot receivers. it looks like we've just added a pass rush, and seriously upgraded the safety position. Rex will be calling the plays, and I'm betting on this being our best year on D. Could be something special.