Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Hartsock...why was he cut?

Jets Insider VIP

Ben Hartsock...why was he cut?

I'm trying to recall the reasons for Hartsock not lasting past the 2010 season. It was likely financial and hindsight is 20/20, but I think this may have been the single biggest contributor to our poor offensive performance last year.

Yes, Hunter was a turnstile but Damien Woody was not going to be convinced to stay. Woody was set on retirement. This wasn't the Jets doing and they clearly underestimated Hunter's readiness and capability. But with Hartsock couldn't it have been a different story....that was the Jets decision not to retain him, correct?

In any case, looking at the offense....three major downgrades took place last year:

RT - D. Woody to Hunter
    TE - Hartsock to Mulligan
    WR - Braylon Edwards to Plaxico

The Jets have already sought to repair the problems at WR (Hill, Schielens) and have jettisoned TE. They've also shown their hand in trying to trade for Otah. Let's hope this is a step in the right direction.

(Also, it sounds like Plaxico can be signed for $59K )
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm trying to recall the reasons for Hartsock not lasting past the 2010 season. It was likely financial and hindsight is 20/20, but I think this may have been the single biggest contributor to our poor offensive performance last year.

Yes, Hunter was a turnstile but Damien Woody was not going to be convinced to stay. Woody was set on retirement. This wasn't the Jets doing and they clearly underestimated Hunter's readiness and capability. But with Hartsock couldn't it have been a different story....that was the Jets decision not to retain him, correct?

In any case, looking at the offense....three major downgrades took place last year:

RT - D. Woody to Hunter

The Jets have already sought to repair the problems at WR (Hill, Schielens) and have jettisoned TE. They've also shown their hand in trying to trade for Otah. Let's hope this is a step in the right direction.

Hartstock sucked. He couldn't catch a pass if it him in the hands whilst wearing velcro gloves. He was also a penalty machine.

You probably don't remember this because we had Hartstock 2.0 on the team this year - Matthew Mulligan.

At least we paid Mulligan the minimum to suck. We were paying Hartstock over $1m. And if Mulligan was wide open and the pass hit him in the chest, he at least had a chance to catch teh ball. Not a great one, but at least a chance.

RT - D. Woody to Hunter

I think the Vet min increases after a player is in the league for a certain amount of years. Players like Hartsock are good value when they are worth bare minimum, but if you need to pay him more, he needs to go. Same with Mulligan, and same with the next JAG that will replace Mulligan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

but I think this may have been the single biggest contributor to our poor offensive performance last year.
    Really?

Veteran

RT - D. Woody to Hunter

Hartsock aka " Mr. 1st and 20". Penalty machine. Drive Killer.

No thanks.

I think you guys are getting Hartsock and Mulligan mixed up.

Hartsock committed too many penalties, this team still needs a blocking TE and a RT

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, Ben wasn't a pass-catching TE but what I remember most about him was he was the blocking TE in 2009 and 2010...the two seasons in which we really had a ground-and-pound running game. He did take some penalties but was nowhere close to being the yellow flag machine that Mulligan was!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Yes, Ben wasn't a pass-catching TE but what I remember most about him was he was the blocking TE in 2009 and 2010...the two seasons in which we really had a ground-and-pound running game. He did take some penalties but was nowhere close to being the yellow flag machine that Mulligan was!
    09' he was great. 10', he was horrible. Which is why everyone was screaming for Mulligan (or at least I was - most ppl don't care) as he was basically the same player for half the money....and there was no reason to carry both on the roster.

Hartstock single handedly lost that Buffalo game in 2009 with multiple penalities... I think we had over 270 yards rushing in that game.

All League

RT - D. Woody to Hunter

Suckimus Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    At least we paid Mulligan the minimum to suck. We were paying Hartstock over $1m. And if Mulligan was wide open and the pass hit him in the chest, he at least had a chance to catch teh ball. Not a great one, but at least a chance.
    if memory serves Mulligan had the biggest pass play of 2011. 41 yards from Kerley. Not saying much but yeah he had better hands than Hartsock.

mulligan and hartsock were like twins...tons of stupid penalties, combined with crappy play quality...good riddance to both!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    if memory serves Mulligan had the biggest pass play of 2011. 41 yards from Kerley. Not saying much but yeah he had better hands than Hartsock.
    Yeah, Mulligan was merely below average when it came to literally catching a ball. It was absolutely shocking how bad Hartstock was a) running even the most basic of routes and b) literally closing his hand around the ball.

You'd think that anyone that has been playing football as long as they guys have - even as an Olineman - would be at least somewhat competent in catching.

In 10', I think Hartstock had literally 1 catch. Considering how many snaps he got in a game, its kind of unbelievable. And I think it was in garbage time as well.

Practice Squad
    Not saying much but yeah he had better hands than Hartsock.
    Offset by having more skill in committing penalties than Hartsuck...

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Hartstock single handedly lost that Buffalo game in 2009 with multiple penalities... I think we had over 270 yards rushing in that game.
    You mean this game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291018020

The game where Sanchez threw five picks, went 10/29, and had an 8.3 rating? Yeah, Hartsock was the one that lost that one.

All Pro
    Hartsock wasn't here last year. And he sucked anyway.

Not having a competent 2nd TE is a big reason why the offense was so bad last year.

Nobody ever for one second thought Mulligan would actually get the ball. He was a lousy blocker and had a ton of penalties called against him. They were better off playing with 10 men on offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    and I thought I was going to end the day on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    You mean this game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291018020

The game where Sanchez threw five picks, went 10/29, and had an 8.3 rating? Yeah, Hartsock was the one that lost that one.
    Hartsock had a penalty that literally lost us the game though. It negated a long play that would have won it. But yeah Sanchez didn't help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Almost 320 yards.

Same a week later in Oakland.