Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Problem child Cromartie hurting Jets

Cimini: Problem child Cromartie hurting Jets

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The New York Jets don't have a chemistry problem -- at least not yet. They have an Antonio Cromartie problem.

Less than two weeks into training camp, Cromartie has emerged as the Bad Boy of Cortland. First, he went on ESPN and bragged about his athleticism, saying he could be the second-best receiver on the team if given the opportunity. That ticked off the receivers, especially Chaz Schilens, whose pointed response sparked a controversy.

Cromartie said he meant no disrespect, but he also didn't try to smooth it over. No regrets, he said.

On Tuesday, Cromartie openly defied Rex Ryan, who ripped into the team after a practice skirmish. Fed up with all the Jet-on-Jet fights, the coach warned the players, telling them to chill out. So what happened?

About 15 minutes later, Cromartie tried to bully rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill. He mugged him at the line of scrimmage, yelled a profanity and, moments later, he took out his frustration on tight end Dustin Keller, decking him on a pass across the field.

Tempers flared again, prompting another rant from Ryan and nearly 10 minutes of gassers.

Cromartie seems intent on singlehandedly wrecking the preseason. Not that he did it on purpose, but he also took out Santonio Holmes in Saturday night's intrasquad scrimmage, hitting him in the back on a pass play and causing a rib injury. Cromartie, never known as a big hitter, picked a strange time to get physical.

The Jets need leadership from players like Cromartie, not problems. Terrance Ganaway and Demario Davis, who sparked the first skirmish when they got a little too physical in an offense-defense drill, can be excused for crossing the line. They're rookies.

Cromartie should know better.

Ryan acknowledged that Cromartie was out of line. He didn't drop the hammer on him, but you could tell he was annoyed.

"I thought Cro should've backed off and not hit Dustin," Ryan said. "He's trying to be physical, trying to pick his play up. We always talk about developing habits, but in that situation, it's your teammate and you don't want to do it. I thought Cro was wrong in that situation."

Cromartie is a gifted player and the Jets need him, but Ryan shouldn't let a player's importance dictate accountability. If Cromartie messes up again, Ryan should bench him. He has to take a strong stand here. He can't allow last season's locker-room issues to resurface.

No doubt, Ryan will get criticized for running a loose ship, letting things get out of control in camp, but it's not all his fault. Training-camp fights happen; it's part of football. Most of the principals from the Monday and Tuesday melees weren't even on last season's team.

But now Ryan has to put an end to the nonsense, and that means making sure Cromartie returns to the reservation. If this keeps up, he'll replace Holmes as the poster boy for bad behavior.

What did Cromartie have to say for himself? Nothing. He walked off the field, refusing a PR official's attempt to have him speak with reporters. He kept going, muttering an expletive about the media.

Who does he think we are, Tom Brady?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...onio-cromartie

and the jets threee ring circus continues

All League
    who cares. we all now Cromartie's kind of a dope; I'm sure his teammates do, too. If he wants to get physical all of a sudden, as long as it translates to actual games, I'm good.

No doubt that Comartie is a fringe dweller, but I feel for the guy. I mean the entire defense must play very close to perfect ball for this team to win games. I think the guys are all frustrated at the lack of attention paid to the offense and this is manifesting itself at practice.

Sounds like Cimini is being a crybaby because Crowe would not talk to the media.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah. Cro is a problem child.

Cro had been a GREAT Jet.

I like that he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. As far as I am concerned he is prepping Hill for what games are going to be like. Revis punches WRs in the mouth during games, do we think that isn't going to happen to Hill? He needs to get ready for the rough stuff. And as for Keller, what happened, did he break a nail? He needs to toughen up too.

What we need is REAL leadership from our drafted players. Mangold, Brick, Harris, Revis.

Why single out Cro?
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-08-2012 at 08:49 AM.

All League
    now if he can translate this aggressiveness to the games we are in business!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Sounds like Cimini is being a crybaby because Crowe would not talk to the media.
    Bingo, bango, bongo.

Way to see through the bullsh*t.

All League
    This is a NON STORY.

Stating obvious things and still trying to sell articles off of a couple training camp scuffles.

HO HUM

Cro hasn't been laid since he came to Cortland...and he's taking it out on everyone

I agree with the posts that say if it translates to aggression on the field, I am all for it.

and every single team has a guy who chirps all the time! Every single team. You know what, WRs, if you don't like what Cro says, step up your game! why does Cro have to make amends for saying that? WRs, get better. plain and simple. the media (well, just Cimini I guess) calling cro a problem child because he's challenging guys on the team? makes zero sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Holy crap!

If Antonio Cromartie is doing something/anything on a football field that induces more plays involving contact and hitting then I say that is a great day for the Jets. So long as he does not get injured that is one of the best things we could have heard about him.

Cimini does rather have a habit of getting this stuff wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I agree with the posts that say if it translates to aggression on the field, I am all for it.

and every single team has a guy who chirps all the time! Every single team. You know what, WRs, if you don't like what Cro says, step up your game! why does Cro have to make amends for saying that? WRs, get better. plain and simple. the media (well, just Cimini I guess) calling cro a problem child because he's challenging guys on the team? makes zero sense.
    Cro is poised to have a great year in this defense...lots of INTs.

Jets Insider VIP
    If I was paying child support for 10 kids id be chippy out there to.

Serby wrote the same article today in the Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...NeF1lLcYzzMDLI

Antonio Cromartie once played matador to Shonn Greene’s bull during a Jets 2009 upset playoff victory over the Chargers.

But just to show you what a quick learner the guy is, Cromartie decided it was the right time to go Dick Butkus on Dustin Keller.

Unfortunately, it came after an exasperated Rex Ryan — roar, Rex Lion, roar — had just warned his Jets, in no uncertain terms, about knocking off the stupidity and selfishness and thuggery and start protecting one another 24 hours after they did such a nice job assaulting one another.

“I told the guys about it and sure enough, apparently somebody never got the message,” Rex Lion said.

No one should be surprised that it was Cromartie who didn’t get the message.

As The Cro Flies, Example No. 1:

“I’m gonna punch you in the [bleeping] face if you do that again,” he said to rookie WR Stephen Hill, or someone, as they lined up.

Cromartie then held Hill, and receivers coach Sanjay Lal screamed at official to throw the flag.

As The Cro Flies, Example No. 2:

Cromartie took a cheap shot at Dustin Keller following a reception, knocking him down, against the law. Keller, a terrific teammate, jumped up and went nose-to-nose with Cromartie as others rushed in.

Cromartie may or may not be the second-best receiver on the Jets, which is as sad a commentary on the state of the receiving corps as it is on Cromartie’s foot-in-mouth disease. But when the Tone Deaf depth chart is released, there may be a significant change:

Antonio Cromartie, starter.

Santonio Holmes, backup.

Of course, Rex Lion runs the risk of his entire team becoming Tone Deaf, and that was why he turned the Jets into lap dogs at practice yesterday. Is Life With Cromartie a gasser, or what?

“I thought Cro should have backed off and not hit Dustin and all that,” Rex Lion said. “He’s trying to be physical. He’s trying to pick his play up. We always talk about developing habits. In that situation, it’s your teammate. You don’t want to do it. I thought Cro was wrong in that situation. Again, it wasn’t just we did it because of Cro. We’ve had some cases where there’s been some chippiness and things. It was just time to do it. I think that will remind him.”

Until it goes in one earhole and out the other.

Grow up, already.

Cromartie is a seductive athletic freak, no one disputes that. But there is a reason why the Chargers couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

There is a reason why the Jets made a play last summer for Nnamdi Asomugha then reversed back toward Cromartie only after Asomugha signed with the Eagles.

The guy just doesn’t get it. The guy is his own worst enemy.

He remains a manchild, even at 28 years old, and one of the most compelling arguments for why it is imperative the Jets make Darrelle Revis a Jet for life.

“We all knew there were guys in the locker room who didn’t like him,” cornerback Quentin Jammer told the San Diego Union-Tribune after Cromartie was gone. “He didn’t like them. We don’t have to deal with that now. I tried my best to put out fires, tried to keep the room intact, but it was too much.”

OK, so Cromartie needed a change of scenery. If anyone could get through to him, it was Rex, right?

Wrong.

In fact, it was the very say hey culture Rex created that led to Cromartie labeling Tom Brady an “A-hole.”

Three Augusts ago, Cromartie was fined $2500 by Norv Turner for tweeting that the “nasty food” at training camp had contributed to the Chargers’ postseason failures.

These aren’t the Reggie-Thurman Yankees, in case you were wondering.

“You don’t see it in the dorms like I see it,” Rex Lion said. “My room is down there on the first floor where they have the pool table, ping pong, and the TV. They’re enjoying each other’s company. You see it in the chow hall, and when they’re in the meetings.”

Uh-oh. Just wait until Cro gets the idea to have a food fight.

steve.serby@nypost.com

All League
    i do think the jets have a veteran leadership problem though.

guys like mangold, revis, or harris (not known to be outspoken) need to take charge of this team (and sanchez). they can't let guys like holmes and cromartie run the place.

I just don't get why is it such a big deal now? how come a story like this was never written about Cro when he first came to NY if he was such a problem child then also? he talks, but he's probably more a TO type. Annoys people but not in trouble off the field. these "journalists" look for anything to run with.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Cro hasn't been laid since he came to Cortland...and he's taking it out on everyone
    Cro is the softest takler in the league, Dummy Johnson is the stupidest owner in the league, Rex is the best defensive coach on 1st and 2nd down, which creates 3rd and long, however Rex's defense is last in the league on 3rd and long.
    CUT CRO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing hurting the Jets is the media and the landing strip.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yeah. Cro is a problem child.

Cro had been a GREAT Jet.

I like that he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. As far as I am concerned he is prepping Hill for what games are going to be like. Revis punches WRs in the mouth during games, do we think that isn't going to happen to Hill? He needs to get ready for the rough stuff. And as for Keller, what happened, did he break a nail? He needs to toughen up too.

What we need is REAL leadership from our drafted players. Mangold, Brick, Harris, Revis.

Why single out Cro?
    Talk to Cimini