Thread: Jets Brawl at training camp

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Brawl at training camp

Started by McKnight and Lynn's son.

Only the Jets....

Reported by Dennis Waszak on Twiiter

Jets Insider VIP
    Jets players brawl during training camp practice
    By DENNIS WASZAK Jr. (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press 14 minutes ago

CORTLAND, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets had a training camp throwdown.
    About 20 players were involved in a sideline brawl during a chippy practice Monday after running back Joe McKnight and safety D'Anton Lynn tangled after a play.
    Lynn, the son of Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn, shoved McKnight out of bounds after a swing pass from Greg McElroy. An angry McKnight then fired the football at Lynn.
    ''That was a first,'' Lynn said. ''That's never happened to me before, so I lost my temper for a second.''
    The two got into it, with McKnight charging Lynn and throwing a punch that didn't land.
    ''If you're fighting, I mean, are you going to just love-tap him?'' McKnight said. ''I mean, you're going to try to hit him. It's a fight.''
    Offensive and defensive players ran over to the two and a pileup ensued, with players rolling through advertisement placards and into an area where reporters were watching. Several reporters scattered as the players jumped on each other and wrestled a few feet in front of a barricade where fans sit.
    Coach Rex Ryan, along with several players, including Tim Tebow, ran over to break up the melee by pulling players off the pile.
    ''I felt like I could hardly breathe,'' said Lynn, an undrafted free agent from Penn State. ''Everyone was on top of me, so I had to get out of there.''
    Meanwhile, several other players jokingly acted as if they were taking swings at each other.
    McKnight said Ryan told him: ''Keep playing hard.''
    It all lasted about a minute, and the Jets (No. 17 in the AP Pro32) went back to team drills as if nothing happened - with none of the players suffering any apparent injuries.
    ''Sometimes, offense and defense, you're out there competing and sometimes fights happen,'' Lynn said. ''It's nothing personal.''
    The two said they would talk to each other, and things would be smoothed over.
    ''We're not trying to hurt each other,'' Lynn said. ''I doubt he was trying to hurt me and I wasn't trying to hurt him. It just kind of escalated for a minute. It was more wrestling than anything.''
    Lynn did see the irony in the fact that he was fighting with a guy who's coached by his father.
    ''Yeah,'' D'Anton Lynn said with a smile. ''He was probably rooting for Joe.''
    McKnight said he didn't even realize who he was going up against until his teammates told him.
    ''It was something that just happened spur of the moment,'' McKnight said. ''I'm over it now. We're teammates. I love him, just like I love his Dad. So, we're moving on.''
    Quarterback Mark Sanchez said he was watching the fight from ''an advantageous position'' and wasn't happy about the scuffle.
    ''There's no excuse for it,'' Sanchez said. ''There's no throwing a ball at a teammate. There's no shoving a guy out of bounds into the signs. One, it doesn't look good, and two, it sends the wrong message to our team. We want to take care of our guys. I get it, guys are competitive, guys are fiery. That's nice, but you want to take it to the brink and compete to the last possible moment and always remember to protect your teammates.
    ''So, I don't like to see it.''
    McKnight later went down after taking a hard hit, and walked gingerly off the field with a trainer by his side. McKnight said he suffered a stinger, but was fine after practice.
    ''That stuff doesn't help,'' Sanchez said. ''You get too physical out there and hurt a guy on your team ... we're playing together.''
    Scuffles in training camp are fairly common around the league, particularly during the second week of practices. The Jets play their first preseason game Friday night against the Bengals in Cincinnati.
    ''When you go against the same people every single day, that stuff tends to happen,'' Lynn said. ''I think we're looking forward to hitting someone from a different team for once.''
    ---

Maybe the Jets will get some of that US against the World mentality again.

brawls at camp are expected and are often good for team chemisty, believe it or not. these bloggers and writers keep saying it's just the dysfunctional jets, but anyone who has played knows it happens at every camp. maybe it will give the offense a spark, they seem to need it going against and getting their bums handed to them each day by the defense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    ...About 20 players were involved in a sideline brawl ...
    nonsense.

This is just ridiculous! What a sad state of affairs this team is in!! So utterly dysfunctional and it all starts at the top!! You mean to tell me that a scuffle broke out amongst 22 men who are constantly hitting each other for days on end!! I just can't believe that they can even organize a practice with the level of chaos going on over there!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Only the Jets....

Reported by Dennis Waszak on Twiiter
    Actually, the Pats have had several fights in camp, almost daily. Belichick is apparently fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Actually, the Pats have had several fights in camp, almost daily. Belichick is apparently fine with it.
    That's true.

Veteran

Only the Jets....

and Jetsinsider.com

Swing swing swing Chop chop chop thats da sound when Rooks get dropped

This happens in every training camp

Practice Squad
    But Tebow is there and is supposed to be the holy one who will stop all the violence!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    brawls at camp are expected and are often good for team chemisty, believe it or not. these bloggers and writers keep saying it's just the dysfunctional jets, but anyone who has played knows it happens at every camp. maybe it will give the offense a spark, they seem to need it going against and getting their bums handed to them each day by the defense.
    Agreed. Good to see some agression and competitiveness in camp. People act like they should be having tea and scones instead.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    That's true.

They had the fights, but BB was not ok with it at all. The whole team did 3 laps around both fields, and them Brady held a players only meeting on the practice field for 15 min.

While fights can be expected and they happen every year they do not go unpunished.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    They had the fights, but BB was not ok with it at all. The whole team did 3 laps around both fields, and them Brady held a players only meeting on the practice field for 15 min.

While fights can be expected and they happen every year they do not go unpunished.
    After Wednesday's full-team scrap, Belichick downplayed its significance, saying, "Football is competitive, and we're in a competitive camp, so I think some of those things are just part of football. I don't think it's a big deal."
    looks like the circus is setting up in Foxborough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Agreed and I am glad that Joe McKnight stood up for himself and showed some fight! The rookie cb kept going even when they were out of bounds! This is football; not volley ball! Good job Jets! I also read that huge RT Austin Howard was in the middle of it helping to protect his rb.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TJ Sanchez View Post
    But Tebow is there and is supposed to be the holy one who will stop all the violence!
    ....or he could have just been a teammate trying to stop a lil brawl.

But when you add "holy one", it really sounds better. Good work, man!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    QFT