Thread: Brodney Pool released by Cowboys

Jets Insider VIP

Brodney Pool released by Cowboys

Brodney Pool released by Dallas Cowboys after week in camp
    Associated Press
    Published: Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:18 p.m. Updated: Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys have released veteran safety Brodney Pool, one of their free-agent pickups earlier this year.

The coaches of the NFL weigh in on a number of hot-button topics in the league, including Andrew Luck vs. RG3, Tim Tebow, challenge flag etiquette, the Packers' QB tree and the 2012 Hall of Fame class.
    Pool was released Monday along with cornerback Isaac Madison when the Cowboys cleared roster space to sign receiver David Little and running back Javarris Williams.

Before playing the last two years for the New York Jets, Pool began his career with five seasons with the Cleveland Browns. His defensive coordinator his final year with the Browns was Rob Ryan, who is now with the Cowboys.

Pool signed a one-year contract in March. He was one of three Cowboys players who at the start of camp failed the initial conditioning test, a series of timed sprints. He had to do several days of remedial running before passing the second test and starting practice Friday.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...headline_stack

Jets Insider VIP
    Before anyone asks... no. There's a reason the Jets let him walk.

I forget, was he on the team last year?

Call me Crazy, but I always liked Pool.

Hall Of Fame
    I said it at the time. Getting trucked like that could be a career-ender.

Pool was a decent player for us but unfortunately whenever I hear his name I will think of that play.

All Pro
    dont need him.. Landry,Bell,Smith, Allen (who is having a great camp),Bush... we have a solid group..

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You have to hit in the NFCE, not good for concussions.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    You are CRAZY!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I forget, was he on the team last year?
    Unfortunately, yes. He was the guy Ahmad Bradshaw ran over in the Giants game.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    I liked him too, but by process of elimination. If the Jets had any real quality at the position it would have been a different story.

But compared to Eric Smith and Leonhard, Pool looked like an All-Pro to me.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm curious why some folks think we haven't addressed any of the problems from last year.

Behind the RT and the lack of pass rush, the safety play was our biggest pfail.

Getting rid of Pool, finally realizing Leonard wasn't the answer, finding someone--anyone to get Eric Smith off the field--we got faster and more athletic and more physical with Landry, Bell, Allen and Bush.

And considering how well Lankster is playing in camp, I think our secondary is going to be one of our strengths this year.

_

Not after he let Bradshaw walk in the end zone last Christmas eve. I can still see that play.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You are CRAZY!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm curious why some folks think we haven't addressed any of the problems from last year.

Behind the RT and the lack of pass rush, the safety play was our biggest pfail.

Getting rid of Pool, finally realizing Leonard wasn't the answer, finding someone--anyone to get Eric Smith off the field--we got faster and more athletic and more physical with Landry, Bell, Allen and Bush.

And considering how well Lankster is playing in camp, I think our secondary is going to be one of our strengths this year.

_
    +1

Love the signing of Bell and hopefully one of our late round Safety picks becomes a diamond in the rough. Hopefully Landry can stay healthy and be our run supporter in the secondary.

Bottom Line: Eric Smith has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Not after he let Bradshaw walk in the end zone last Christmas eve. I can still see that play.
    At least Pool was right there in front of Bradshaw he just couldn't make the tackle but he was in the right location. If it was Eric Smith in the same spot he would have just let Bradshaw run a figure 8 around him into the endzone.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Pool failed the Cowboys conditioning test first day of camp, that is ridiculous for a safety...that put the writing on the wall.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

Love the signing of Bell and hopefully one of our late round Safety picks becomes a diamond in the rough. Hopefully Landry can stay healthy and be our run supporter in the secondary.

Bottom Line: Eric Smith has to go.
    Safety is not a highly drafted position, not a hard position to make a relatively immediate impact in the league. Late round picks and UDFAs can have an immediate impact at the position.

They saw something in Bush a while ago, this guy could become a significant producer soon.

Allen has shown incredible flashes--we got him in the 7th and he was universally projected as a 3rd or 4th.

Landry, if healthy is a Pro-bowl caliber player. Big, fast, mean, lays the wood.

Bell is still better than any safety we've had since Rhodes.

The Jets secondary is going to be a huge strength of this defense.

_