Thread: The Non-QB Battle: A Theory Thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Non-QB Battle: A Theory Thread

I believe in the Jets' commitment to run the ball this year. So I'm going to start with Tebow. I don't have a love or hate emotion towards the man. I'm a fan of his and I'm going to root for him. That's it. I judge him solely on his performance. I believe the Patriots set the blueprint to defend against a Tebow-led offense back in the playoffs. With that being said, the Tebow experiment will likely backfire for most of the season. Teams will be ready for him, we won't surprise anyone. Everyone is talking about what will happen when Sanchez throws that inevitable first interception, yet no one is talking about how the fans will react when Tebow throws that inevitable interception, or worse, if he fumbles. Tim Tebow will be the same QB he was in Denver. He will suck for 90% of the time he is on the field, and because of this, red-zone or not, I don't think the Jets will trust him to touch the ball when the game is on the line, which is when he truly shines. The fans will turn on Tebow and will force us to have no choice but root for the other guy. I think Mark will respond very well to that.

On to Sanchez. I believe his attempts will be cut by a third compared to last year. It will be similar to his first year. The limited attempts per game will force Mark to make every touch count and I believe we will see a more mentally mature QB in Sanchez. Although his numbers will regress and he may get criticized for that, and he will likely have fewer touchdowns than last year; I predict he will have a higher passing TD/INT ratio and completion percentage. In his first three years it was at (0.6:1), (1.3:1), and (1.4:1). I see him with a 2:1 ratio, and his percentage will be about 60%-65%. Bold, I know. I say this because year four is a big leap compared to year one. The 24 Att/G he will likely have; which was the same number he had in his rookie year, and the added pressure to compete, will result in a more efficient QB in year four.
    Last edited by david1023; 08-07-2012 at 12:29 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tim Tebow is here for entertainment value only. He's already done his best work, keeping the Jets on the back pages and the Giants off of them, sold a lot of tickets. That's the main reason he was brought here, his contract's been paid in full by the Jets marketing budget.

The Jets offense is horrible. The fans know it, the defense knows it, our GM knows it, our owner knows it. So when we open the season a disastrous 2-6 we'll keep the seats filled and the interest level high because we'll wrongly bench Sanchez and put the bum Tebow in. That's the other reason he's here.

We are a rebuilding team grasping at straws in the short-term to come out strong in the long-term. Right or wrong, the Tim Tebow Show is here to keep us entertained, not win football games, so all this strategic talk about what the guy brings to us on the field is immaterial.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    I believe in the Jets' commitment to run the ball this year. So I'm going to start with Tebow. I don't have a love or hate emotion towards the man. I'm a fan of his and I'm going to root for him. That's it. I judge him solely on his performance. I believe the Patriots set the blueprint to defend against a Tebow-led offense back in the playoffs. With that being said, the Tebow experiment will likely backfire for most of the season. Teams will be ready for him, we won't surprise anyone. Everyone is talking about what will happen when Sanchez throws that inevitable first interception, yet no one is talking about how the fans will react when Tebow throws that inevitable interception, or worse, if he fumbles. Tim Tebow will be the same QB he was in Denver. He will suck for 90% of the time he is on the field, and because of this, red-zone or not, I don't think the Jets will trust him to touch the ball when the game is on the line, which is when he truly shines. The fans will turn on Tebow and will force us to have no choice but root for the other guy. I think Mark will respond very well to that.
    Will definitely get killed for this one. First off, I disagree that the Pats showed a blueprint on how to stop Tebow. What they did rather, was to completely outclass Mike McCoy and John Fox. I honestly think that Rex and Company looked at Tebow, thought that McCoy and Fox did a piss poor job of exploiting his talents, and felt that they could do a better job of utilizing him.

To whit: Tebow will be used in goal line and short yardage situations and will be pretty successful at it.

On to Sanchez. I believe his attempts will be cut by a third compared to last year. It will be similar to his first year. The limited attempts per game will force Mark to make every touch count and I believe we will see a more mentally mature QB in Sanchez. Although his numbers will regress and he may get criticized for that, and he will likely have fewer touchdowns than last year; I predict he will have a higher passing TD/INT ratio and completion percentage. In his first three years it was at (0.6:1), (1.3:1), and (1.4:1). I see him with a 2:1 ratio, and his percentage will be about 60%-65%. Bold, I know. I say this because year four is a big leap compared to year one. The 24 Att/G he will likely have; which was the same number he had in his rookie year, and the added pressure to compete, will result in a more efficient QB in year four.
    I think Sanchez will have a really good year. Agree that some of his numbers will drop, but he will be a better QB overall. Cutting down on the TOs would help tremendously.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. You guys are ridiculous. Sanchez' attempts cut down by a third? Yeah right. Who's going to run the ball for those extra 100 attempts. Tebow? Yeah right. I expect the jets to have more confidence in Sanchez and his attempts go up by about 40 or so. we don't have an outstanding running backs of Sanchez will have to throw the ball more. As many people have reported including our own KRL Sanchez seems to have more zip. He will have a good year. Not great because he doesn't have very good receivers but he will play well enough to get about 30 total tds and less INTS than last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think we are going to cut Sanchez's attempts by 1/3??? Last year he had 543 attempts, now its going to be 358? Ground and Pound is an identity it is not a definitive explanation of how many running plays we are going to have.

I can see sanchez having about 470 attempts as we do scale back from the 59 pass play games schotty called and attempt to protect the football, control the clock, and play defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completely off base saying the Patriots provided a blue print to defend Tebow unless you believe having Brady throw 5 TD's in the first half is the blueprint. The Denver Defense could not stop Brady and was not prepared to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez as well deal with no huddle offense the Pats used.

Fox was outcoached defensively. Tebow is not the type of QB that can come back when down by that much, and the broncos had to scrap their game plan when trailing by 28 points.

I believe the Jets offense will be very good this year. People know what Tebow does already but he presents challenges for a defense. Tebow has been running a spread offense for 7 years and is great at knowing his reads. Sure he is not Brady, Manning or Brees but he does not have to be. He puts pressure on a defense but adding an extra blocker to the offensive side of the ball. In the wildcat he is a much better passer than Ronnie Brown or Brad Smith, so the defense will have to respect the deep ball. It is similar to watching Navy run the option. The defense knows it is a running play but it is difficult to stop even when you know what is coming.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez will probably have less attempts but his YPA just increase dramatically, as Sparano likes to take shots downfield. His completion percentage will probably climb slightly, which combine with the former part should keep his total passing yards the same. I think the biggest improvement we will see is in his turnover numbers. If these happen and the D goes back to being top 3, we should have a good year even with the daunting early schedule.