Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: The re-making of Mark Sanchez: QB concentrated on footwork in offseason

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I guess you missed my point.

QB's are taught those fundamentals at a very early age.

If footwork and pocket presence is an issue for a QB in the NFL, it is a result of one of two things:

1) Laziness/Sloppiness

2) Lack of focus/discipline

All NFL QB's know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it on a consistent basis.
    and that is exactly what the article is about genius. how sanchez is working on improving his footwork to stay consistent even in the face of pressure.

Rookie

If footwork and pocket presence is an issue for a QB in the NFL, it is a result of one of two things:

1) Laziness/Sloppiness

All NFL QB's know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it on a consistent basis.
    And baseball players learn to hit off a tee at age 3, but many major league ballplayers still use a tee to work on their swing.

All Pro
    An early-August scrimmage won't make or break his season, but it was a positive step for Sanchez, whose mechanics were a mess by the end of last year. He worked hard during the offseason on his fundamentals -- footwork, in particular -- and he believes it will make him a better quarterback.
    That's great news. Mark's mechanics were shot at the end of the season and I really hoped that his footwork and throwing mechanics was going to be a focal point for him in the offseason.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Nice article but for a NFL QB going into his 4th season I have a hard time feeling good about him going back to basics and it paying off by him actually hitting a check down to a RB.

Mark needs to show real progression this season or else were in trouble.
    Sorry but there are no check downs at the 5 yard line.

1) Laziness/Sloppiness

We all got the point, it was just a terrible one.

By the logic you present here, Jerry Rice catching passes from the JUGS machine on a daily basis is a reflection of his previous laziness. Michael Jordan shooting 200 foul shots a day is a result of him trying to re-focus.

It couldn't be athletes trying to stay fundamentally sound, could it?

Veteran
    Proper footwork and and the ability to move around the pocket are taught in high school.

A 4th year starting QB in the NFL should not have these issues.
    You're right, of course, but you know well that everybody strays from fundamentals, even the great ones ...
    The Best Baseball Coach in the NFL

Ex-Big League Pitcher Tom House Is Teaching Quarterbacks How to Throw Fastballs

Hall-of-Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan and Saints quarterback Drew Brees use the same throwing stroke—with each possessing perfect 30-degree separations in their hip and shoulders.

The NFL's hottest quarterback guru is tinkering with Tom Brady, Carson Palmer and Drew Brees. He's also credited with the "dramatic improvement" of another NFL quarterback by the player's head coach. The catch about the man who has the ear of these megastar signal callers: He's a baseball pitching coach.

For decades, a big league pitcher and NFL quarterback had only their high profiles and higher salaries in common. But Tom House made a discovery watching slow-motion recordings of an athlete's movements. Mechanically, pitching and throwing a football are exactly the same. "Scarily the same," House said. "The same sequence, timing, and the same mechanical interpretations."

House, for instance, discovered that Brees, the New Orleans Saints' star quarterback, and Hall-of-Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan have the exact same throwing stroke—with each possessing perfect 30-degree separations in their hip and shoulders while throwing their respective ball.

The end result of the discovery is House's unusual training camps for quarterbacks, which can last up to two weeks or unofficially longer in Southern California—Palmer said he does House's arm exercises for over an hour each day, films the entire regiment, and then watches it on his iPad.

House, who is 65 and pitched eight years in the major leagues with a 3.79 ERA, is a former pitching coach with the Texas Rangers and currently acts as adviser for the USC baseball team. "The first time you do research and you know Tom House and know his story, the first question is: 'Isn't this completely different mechanically? We're throwing from a flat surface not a mound," said Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel, who quickly realized House's value. Cassel said he finds himself more aware of his mechanics—keeping his front side closed, leading with his hips and keeping a loose upper body. "Now I'm throwing and I'm saying 'am I keeping this arm inside? Is my back foot on the ground?" Cassel said. Many of the workouts were straight from baseball, Cassel said, like holding on to weighted balls to increase the muscles in the back of the shoulder.

House's roster this spring included four current NFL starting quarterbacks—Brady (New England), Palmer (Oakland), Cassel (Kansas City) and Alex Smith (San Francisco).

According to House, the breakthrough link between pitchers and quarterbacks couldn't be picked up by regular fans. "Our eyes can't process the delivery of these elite guys," he said. In fact, he experimented with working with quarterbacks like Steve Beuerlein and Todd Marinovich two decades ago but admits he didn't exactly know what he was doing with them. With recent improvements in three-dimensional motion analysis, House is able to analyze motion at 1,000 frames per second, up from 32 frames that the human eye can process.

Smith came to House for mechanical tuneups and came away with a better release point and a posture change while Palmer said, "I definitely feel stronger and less soreness. There is more arm strength, absolutely, I've got more zip on the ball and there is less fatigue."

The key, according to House, is that many of the same mechanical wrinkles from baseball can be molded for football. Like pitchers, quarterbacks have both accelerating and decelerating muscles in their arms. House said the key to keeping a quarterback healthy and mechanically sound is to keep the oft-ignored decelerating muscles, generally called the rotator cuff, stronger.

House said he doesn't market to the quarterbacks but news has spread by word-of-mouth. House said he's not trying to overhaul mechanics of any quarterback and instead compares his job to "looking at all the Ferraris in the shop and trying to put the oil in the tank." Brady, the most-high profile of the cases, came to House's camp to see where his mechanics stood. House admits Brady is "pretty stinking good" and mostly they worked on "joint integrity."

Meanwhile, the quarterbacks could never escape the shadow of baseball—as pitchers like former Cubs star Mark Prior work out at the same facility and occasionally play receiver for the football stars.

House said his goal is to send the quarterbacks back to their hometowns with a "tool kit" both mentally and physically which they can use during the off-season. "That's what the quarterbacks do, and that's what the Barry Zitos and Cole Hamels do," House said.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    You're right, of course, but you know well that everybody strays from fundamentals, even the great ones ...
    You would think that after being in the league for 10+ years, Brady would know how to throw the ball by now, you shouldnt have to teach that to a HOF QB.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You would think that after being in the league for 10+ years, Brady would know how to throw the ball by now, you shouldnt have to teach that to a HOF QB.
    Especially since Brady's mechanics go to crap when he faces consistent Pressure up the middle. You would think a 3x SB winning alltime great would still have the focus to maintain good mechanics while constantly getting pressured.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    We all got the point, it was just a terrible one.

By the logic you present here, Jerry Rice catching passes from the JUGS machine on a daily basis is a reflection of his previous laziness. Michael Jordan shooting 200 foul shots a day is a result of him trying to re-focus.

It couldn't be athletes trying to stay fundamentally sound, could it?
    TX will just disappear from this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Especially since Brady's mechanics go to crap when he faces consistent Pressure up the middle.
    Other than the Giants, what team has generated pressure up the middle on Brady?

Hall Of Fame
    Way to change the subject, lets stay on topic.

Banned
    Translation: "I've once again been proven to be a moron, so now I'll try to change the subject."

All Pro
    Proper footwork and and the ability to move around the pocket are taught in high school.

A 4th year starting QB in the NFL should not have these issues.
    You are correct: veterans should cease all efforts to improve because they are veterans, after all.

1) Laziness/Sloppiness

I see your point TX, IMHO it falls on Rex and staff.

If there were ever an example of a wide eyed rookie QB it was Sanchez. One year starter at a major QB factory like USC screamed of raw talent and one that needed MAJOR guidance.

What was the JETS approach to this?:

1) Knowing Rex was already in place before they drafted Sanchez the JETS should have surrounded him with the greatest offensive minds in football that were available.

2) Instead they "stayed put" with Shotty (and his marginal success) and hired Mike Cavanugh from the Ravens who had never developed a QB in their franchises history.

3) No veteran QB for Sanchez for fall back on and possibly be challenged for playing time if needed

The result:

- Little competition and fear of losing the starting position.

- HC and an OC (past) that appear to not discipline their players could have lead to Sanchez lack of urgency.

I will not go as far as labeling Sanchez as"lazy" but maybe not working as hard as he possibly could have because there were no re-precautions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I see your point TX, IMHO it falls on Rex and staff.
    Rex is a HC, he should not have to worry about his QB's fundamentals.

To me, that falls 100% on Cavanaugh.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    TX will just disappear from this thread.
    Cavanaugh.
    Or compliment the coach to throw people off lol

To me, that falls 100% on Cavanaugh.
    Rex and Sanchez are linked together. It was the first pick of the Rex Ryan NY JET era. Rex hired Cavanaugh. It was the "easy way" being Cavanaugh was on staff in Baltimore. The Ravens never really developed a good QB in their history. Rex needs to be more involved, if Cananaugh was not the best available at the time and Rex didnt even inquire well then it falls on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I see your point TX,
    Of course you do, SAR Jr.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Translation: "I've once again been proven to be a moron, so now I'll try to change the subject."
    lol.

....just like the trolling POS he is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    lol.

....just like the trolling POS he is.
    Way to hijack and ruin a good thread.