Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: The re-making of Mark Sanchez: QB concentrated on footwork in offseason

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Way to hijack and ruin a good thread.
    just trolling the troll.

troll.

Below is a review from Football Outsiders, pretty fair assessment I believe.

Jets Passing Offense
    Under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets have generally excelled in almost all facets of the game. Their defense has been one of the very best in the NFL, their special teams have been excellent and for the most part, they've run the ball effectively. But the passing game has consistently underwhelmed despite all the organization's efforts at development.

The Jets used the fifth pick of the 2009 draft on QB Mark Sanchez. They traded first for Braylon Edwards and then Santonio Holmes, and signed Plaxico Burress in free agency. None of those moves has given New York an above-average passing game.

According to Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings (explained here), the Jets ranked 21st in the league in pass offense last year. The year before, they ranked 20th. Is there any reason to think that things can improve in 2012?

Let's start by looking at simple additions and subtractions. Burress is gone and, despite his eight touchdowns, that is probably a good thing. Burress was simply unable to get separation with any consistency, and the only reason he was a decent scoring option was because Sanchez forced 22 passes to him down in the red zone. Replacing Burress is Stephen Hill, a 6-foot-4 rookie out of Georgia Tech who caught only 28 passes last season but who finished his college career averaging 25.5 yards per reception. Hill is as raw as they come, but he's big and athletic, and our Playmaker Score projection system loves him -- Hill's Playmaker Score of 660 is the best of any receiver in this year's draft. (This video explains more about Playmaker Score, but essentially it examines player production relative to team production, while factoring in performance at the scouting combine.) That bodes well for Hill's long-term prospects, and even if he isn't ready to take the leap right away, he should be able to win a few matchups down in the red zone, and maybe mix in the odd long-bomb reception for good measure.

The Jets also signed Chaz Schilens -- another big-bodied receiver who can compete for red zone touches -- and used their seventh-round pick on Western Michigan's Jordan White. White's Playmaker Score makes him a favorite to be a likely late-round sleeper from the 2012 draft.

The other major addition, of course, is Tim Tebow. It is unclear, however, what Tebow's role as a passer will be, or if his presence will do anything at all to boost the Jets' passing game. After all, Tebow was one of the few starting quarterbacks to be less effective than Mark Sanchez in 2011, posting a DVOA of minus-22.7 percent and completing only 46.5 percent of his pass attempts.

Tebow has been working hard on his throwing mechanics, going so far as to hire former Major League Baseball pitcher Tom House to shorten his trademark windmill motion, and early returns have been promising.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski, who went out to Cortland to watch Tebow practice, came away impressed.

Even if Tebow has made strides with his delivery, he still needs to work on avoiding sacks and on radically improving his accuracy before he can be considered a passable NFL quarterback, and as a package player (Tebow really won't be running the Wildcat so much as a run-heavy variant of the spread offense), he won't get the volume of attempts to make much of an impact on the Jets' passing game one way or the other.

In the end, the chances for major improvement rest on the shoulders of Sanchez. Sanchez is a tough watch at this point -- he came into the league with a lot of moxie, willing to throw the ball deep and to take on linebackers head-on after leaving the pocket, but Ryan and former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were so alarmed by the number of turnovers Sanchez was generating that they pushed their young quarterback into a game manager role that he is frankly ill suited for. Now Sanchez bears the classic marks of an overcoached player, rarely looking downfield, hesitating when his first read isn't open and settling for meaningless yardage on third down. (There's a reason the Jets went three-and-out on 30 percent of their drives in 2011.)

Ironically, while the coaching sapped Sanchez of some of his strengths, it doesn't seem to have done much to cure his weaknesses. He still threw 18 interceptions last year and fumbled the ball 10 times, just two turnovers shy of his disastrous rookie season. He was also terrible in the face of pressure, completing just 30.8 percent of his passes for 3.1 yards per attempt when facing a blitz.

On the other hand, Sanchez did throw for 26 touchdowns, which was ninth best in the league in 2011, and his touchdown-per-attempt percentage of 4.8 was right in line with guys like Eli Manning and Matt Ryan.

Touchdowns are invariably a cruder and less stable unit of performance measurement than yards, but an optimist might want to hang his hat on Sanchez's steady improvement at finding the end zone. Alternately, one could look at normal year-to-year progression and hope that Sanchez can turn a corner. Our research shows that by far the largest improvement for quarterbacks comes between their first and second years, when their DYAR improves on average by plus-136 and their DVOA by plus-12.8 percent. Sanchez took massive strides in his second year, though those strides translated into only an average sophomore performance because his rookie season was so poor. Sanchez was maintaining that level of play through much of 2011 before collapsing down the stretch. If Sanchez can get back to average, that should be enough to get the Jets back to the playoffs. If not, expect the Tim Tebow bandwagon to gain momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Or compliment the coach to throw people off lol
    Can I be a mod for a day? I'll make it rain.

getting back to basics is exactly what Sanchez needs. Schottenheimer was a coach who routinely overthought every single thing that he did and giving him and Rex a rookie QB to Over Micro manage was a perfect storm if inefficiency. Working on basic footwork, simplifying protections, and p Looking at Sanchez career here I think the over-coaching has really had a negative affect on him and its something that we can easily undo.

Looking back on the last 3 years, it is clear that sanchez was never allowed to play any instinctual football at all, unless its the 2 minute drill, which is consequently when he plays his best. Not only did this affect his on the field performance, but Im sure it affected his attitude as he is unable to simply play the game the way he has his whole life. I can't imagine he enjoyed playing in the offense we have given him the past 3 years.

Starting with his injury on the scramble and head first dive in his first year, Rex basically forbid him from running. Mark was not drafted to be a pocket passer and his athleticism was a big part of what made him successful. He is absolutely quick enough to run 2-3 times a game when the situation presents itself and we need to allow him to do that again...

After the disaster of a buffalo game his rookie year, which IMO is completely schottys fault as he continued to call pass plays and mark had to run them, they used the color coded scheme. I get that it helped a rookie at the time, but it was still being used last year and it is a welcome site to now see it thrown in the garbage. Mark will be in his 4th year of starting including playing in and winning BIG playoff games. He needs to start trusting his ability and not constantly "thinking".

Schottys constant personnel changes and motion also put way too much thinking into marks head pre-snap. He needs to be able to get to the line, concentrate on looking at the defense and then playing. Worrying about multiple people on offense moving pre-snap is not what a QB should be focused on, especially when the OC routinely gets the plays in late.

I think this past year will also really sanchez develop as a person and player. Before coming to the Jets Sanchez lost 2 games as a starting QB in his career (he lost a 3rd at USC coming in when john booty got hurt). Although he struggled a bit, he made the Final Four in both of his first years in the NFL. Add to that fact, that I can't imagine he had to deal with much criticism/negativity in his life prior to this year, growing up as the top HS player and leading hometown USC to a Rose Bowl win. Plus at 25 years old, he is extremely young for the amount he has already played and most likely is still developing the maturity to lead and play the position as its needed. I think dealing with this adversity for the first time in his life will either make or break him, and I believe it will make him. The cali demeanor has to fade and its time for him to develop the attitude and accountability to take his play to the next level.

I sincerely hope that Sparano takes the reins off him and simply tells him to start just playing football. Let Mark know that the line will be in a position to protect him (ie help from the TE) and that we will give him opportunities down the field. We will play to his strengths, allowing him to roll out more, run designed waggles, take shots down the field, and scramble if the opportunity presents itself. Its on him to get his mind away from being skittish in the pocket, and start making the plays.

This is a guy who managed to step up for us in multiple playoff games....and is someone that has made enough big throws that we know the talent is in there somewhere. I honestly hope we take the reins off him and finally see what we have at this point in his career. Playing to Sanchezí strengths is exactly what the team needs to be doing.

Hall Of Fame
    "Jets QB remakes himself during offseason"

Gee where have we heard this headline before

How are those extra 15LBS doing for Joe McKnight's blocking by the way?

A real nuts 'n bolts football article from sirmeaney

Hall Of Fame
    Wait, they just showed Peyton Manning on NFL Network warming up in Denver and they said "here is Peyton Manning working on his mechanics before practice starts". I thought that was only for players who have not developed their fundamentals and are not progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Of course you do, SAR Jr.
    I dont understand posts like this. From the pic, it appears that you are a huge fan of this team, like me. I have watched this team for close to 40 years. Rex and the JETS words are hollow at this point. Its what happens when the HC cant shut up. I dont know how any serious fan of this team can not be questioning the actions of the JETS after it appears they have taken their fan base for fools. The lies to the fan base under Woody, Rex, and Tanny are pathetic at this point. They've crossed the line for me and will take a lot to get me back believing in them. Most recently, the JETS have wasted TWO days of practice addressing a brawl between teammates. But what led up to this that wasnt addressed? rex shooting off his mouth, then Holmes, then Cro. Shut up and play hard! But when the HC cant, it allows the inmates to run the asylum.

I guess the words of Rex Ryan are not taken seriously by his players or they would have ended this yesterday and played more focused today.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Other than the Giants, what team has generated pressure up the middle on Brady?

Our model is the 49ers/Ravens model. That means if Sanchez can make this the 15th or 16th best passing team in the NFL we'll be very dangerous.

Banned
    Way to hijack and ruin a good thread.
    +1

Any time you're shown to be an idiot (which is pretty often), it is a good thing. Free should pipe down and let it continue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Nice article but for a NFL QB going into his 4th season I have a hard time feeling good about him going back to basics and it paying off by him actually hitting a check down to a RB.

Mark needs to show real progression this season or else were in trouble.
    Are you serious with this comment?

Tom Brady is still and constantly working on the fundamentals. That is how you get better.

Come on Now!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Are you serious with this comment?

Tom Brady is still and constantly working on the fundamentals. That is how you get better.

Come on Now!!!!!!
    Welcome CB! Your rational well thought out posts are always a pleasure and relief to read

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    The problem I have with this "awakening" is that Mark Sanchez previously admitted that his footwork went awry last season resulting in bad play.

Why did Cavanaugh not identify those mistakes in-season and move to correct them then ... when it could affect change while the Jets still had a chance of making the play-offs ?

Why was Cavanaugh re-hired; Sanchez was clearly not responding to any remedial coaching, the Jets only managed to win three of the last eight games of the season ?

I understand footwork analysis is a nuanced thing that takes time and focus to correct but these explanations offered to Cimini seem all too convenient for last years p*ss poor qb play.
    Sanchez was running for his life last year. He needed Callahan's help more than Cavanaugh's. The trouble was that Callahan couldn't make champagne out of beer. That said, Sanchez needs to pay more attention to his footwork when under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    getting back to basics is exactly what Sanchez needs. Schottenheimer was a coach who routinely overthought every single thing that he did and giving him and Rex a rookie QB to Over Micro manage was a perfect storm if inefficiency. Working on basic footwork, simplifying protections, and p Looking at Sanchez career here I think the over-coaching has really had a negative affect on him and its something that we can easily undo.

Looking back on the last 3 years, it is clear that sanchez was never allowed to play any instinctual football at all, unless its the 2 minute drill, which is consequently when he plays his best. Not only did this affect his on the field performance, but Im sure it affected his attitude as he is unable to simply play the game the way he has his whole life. I can't imagine he enjoyed playing in the offense we have given him the past 3 years.

Starting with his injury on the scramble and head first dive in his first year, Rex basically forbid him from running. Mark was not drafted to be a pocket passer and his athleticism was a big part of what made him successful. He is absolutely quick enough to run 2-3 times a game when the situation presents itself and we need to allow him to do that again...

After the disaster of a buffalo game his rookie year, which IMO is completely schottys fault as he continued to call pass plays and mark had to run them, they used the color coded scheme. I get that it helped a rookie at the time, but it was still being used last year and it is a welcome site to now see it thrown in the garbage. Mark will be in his 4th year of starting including playing in and winning BIG playoff games. He needs to start trusting his ability and not constantly "thinking".

Schottys constant personnel changes and motion also put way too much thinking into marks head pre-snap. He needs to be able to get to the line, concentrate on looking at the defense and then playing. Worrying about multiple people on offense moving pre-snap is not what a QB should be focused on, especially when the OC routinely gets the plays in late.

I think this past year will also really sanchez develop as a person and player. Before coming to the Jets Sanchez lost 2 games as a starting QB in his career (he lost a 3rd at USC coming in when john booty got hurt). Although he struggled a bit, he made the Final Four in both of his first years in the NFL. Add to that fact, that I can't imagine he had to deal with much criticism/negativity in his life prior to this year, growing up as the top HS player and leading hometown USC to a Rose Bowl win. Plus at 25 years old, he is extremely young for the amount he has already played and most likely is still developing the maturity to lead and play the position as its needed. I think dealing with this adversity for the first time in his life will either make or break him, and I believe it will make him. The cali demeanor has to fade and its time for him to develop the attitude and accountability to take his play to the next level.

I sincerely hope that Sparano takes the reins off him and simply tells him to start just playing football. Let Mark know that the line will be in a position to protect him (ie help from the TE) and that we will give him opportunities down the field. We will play to his strengths, allowing him to roll out more, run designed waggles, take shots down the field, and scramble if the opportunity presents itself. Its on him to get his mind away from being skittish in the pocket, and start making the plays.

This is a guy who managed to step up for us in multiple playoff games....and is someone that has made enough big throws that we know the talent is in there somewhere. I honestly hope we take the reins off him and finally see what we have at this point in his career. Playing to Sanchez’ strengths is exactly what the team needs to be doing.
    You've made very good points here. I'll just comment on some of them...

Sanchez is by nature, an aggressive attacking type of QB. The fast tempo offense that Sparano wants to employ, should be beneficial in allowing Sanchez to play that way. The only time he did this in the prior 3 years, was when the offense was in no huddle or two minute situations. Way less pre-snap nonsense to slow him down.

Mobility...and ability...to throw well on the run, should have been Sanchez' comfort zone right from the start of 2009. That's the easiest way for Sanchez to have started developing a QB "rhythm." The ability to break down a defense with a string of completions. Using his mobility like a Drew Brees, Steve Young, or a Big Ben. No shame for a young QB in using his mobile talents, to defeat complicated defenses. There's still plenty of time for Sanchez to grow into an efficient pocket QB. As the years go by...that's when Sanchez, through more repetitions and game experience, will become more familiar with all types of defenses. When he'll better understand what defenses are trying to do, and how to counteract them.

No doubt Sanchez needs to be more his instinctual self...less robotic implementation of plays sent in from the sidelines. Game plans often have to be thrown out the window. For plays that can be more effective. Sanchez as leader...with his teammates in that huddle... are sometimes the only ones... that can discover those plays, and attack the defense with them.

Sanchez is at the point where he needs to balance out the coaching and advice from others...with something else. The instinctive aspects of his game now need to come forward. Sanchez does have three years of experience in this league. Enough time for him to start thinking for himself. On what can or won't work. He needs to learn from his own mistakes...and to start creating his own success.

Sanchez is only 25 y.o. He's going to be playing probably another 10-12 years. That's plenty of time for him to become a very good QB. And I think he will.

I just hope those years are going to be spent here for the NYJ...rather then see Sanchez playing at a high level for some other team.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 08-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Good read. Hopefully the result is about a 3-5 point increase in completion % and about half the turnovers Sanchez had last year. That would make the Jets a tough team to beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Welcome CB! Your rational well thought out posts are always a pleasure and relief to read
    Hey Cop my friend; I don't come out nearly as much just to many personal attacks for my liking.....

But it is good to see you out here!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I dont understand posts like this.
    Simple, really. I don't agree with your assessment. I liken it to Sar's Hall of Shame with Rex in it. Rex is the best coach we've had on this team since Parcells. Under Sparano, I hope the offense can get it's **** together and make a serious run at the post-season again. Don't forget, with everything that went wrong last year, this team STILL went 8-8. Not 4-12, not 2-14... 8-8. The sky is NOT falling. Infact it's as high as it's been around here in some time. Under other regimes, with different leadership, last year's team goes 6-10, at best. With "the best defensive mind in football" back to concentrating on what he does best, and with a competent OC (and former HC) running a possession-conscious offense, I think we're headed for good things this year.

From the pic, it appears that you are a huge fan of this team, like me. I have watched this team for close to 40 years. Rex and the JETS words are hollow at this point. Its what happens when the HC cant shut up. I dont know how any serious fan of this team can not be questioning the actions of the JETS after it appears they have taken their fan base for fools. The lies to the fan base under Woody, Rex, and Tanny are pathetic at this point. They've crossed the line for me and will take a lot to get me back believing in them. Most recently, the JETS have wasted TWO days of practice addressing a brawl between teammates. But what led up to this that wasnt addressed? rex shooting off his mouth, then Holmes, then Cro. Shut up and play hard! But when the HC cant, it allows the inmates to run the asylum.

I guess the words of Rex Ryan are not taken seriously by his players or they would have ended this yesterday and played more focused today.
    Like KRL said... this looks odd because we've never seen the offense hitting back before.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

This is a guy who managed to step up for us in multiple playoff games....and is someone that has made enough big throws that we know the talent is in there somewhere. I honestly hope we take the reins off him and finally see what we have at this point in his career. Playing to Sanchezí strengths is exactly what the team needs to be doing.
    awesome post.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Good read. Hopefully the result is about a 3-5 point increase in completion % and about half the turnovers Sanchez had last year. That would make the Jets a tough team to beat.
    some people are talking like this is mission impossible, but it really isn't. Sanchez made significant strides last year, a lot of which were unfortunately negated by stretches of poor play.

to achieve what you mentioned he only has to complete 1 extra pass per game as compared to last year, which would put him at 60% completion. that and increased ball security in the pocket will help to cut down turnovers significantly.

not a huge stretch by any extent of the imagination, except for the people openly rooting for Sanchez to fail.