Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYP: Jets coaches comparing Landry to Ravens' Reed

NYP: Jets coaches comparing Landry to Ravens' Reed

CORTLAND — The Jets coaches love what they’ve seen from safety LaRon Landry so far in training camp.

How much?

“As good as Ed Reed is, we’ve never had an athlete like LaRon Landry that can do the things he can do,” said defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman, who along with Rex Ryan coached Reed with the Ravens. “He’s explosive.

He’s fast. He’s tough. He’s physical.”

The Jets signed Landry to a one-year, $3.5 million contract in March to help stabilize a position that was a weakness in 2011. Landry, who has not played a full season since 2008, is being brought along slowly by the Jets.

Ryan likes to say they have Landry on a “pitch count,” holding him out of some practices.

In the limited time Landry has been practicing, he has done enough for Thurman to see things that make him think he’s a better athlete than Reed.

“They’re different,” Thurman said. “Ed is a great ball-hawk. He can play center field. But LaRon Landry is a different animal. He is an explosive, fast athlete that can do a variety of things for us. I think with his addition, things are going to change back there.”

Landry is not the only safety the Jets feel good about. They also like Yeremiah Bell, their other free-agent signing. With Landry, Bell and Eric Smith, the Jets feel they have improved drastically in the defensive backfield.

“We haven’t had a group like this since we’ve been here,” Thurman said.

* WR Santonio Holmes (ribs) is unlikely to play Friday against the Bengals. Ryan said he won’t rule him out completely, but a source said Holmes will be out for at least a week.
    Holmes injured his ribs in Saturday night’s scrimmage. Originally, Ryan thought Holmes had broken a rib but X-rays came back negative. Ryan said Holmes broke a rib in the past, and this is a related injury.

* It was a good day for the Jets’ top two draft picks. DE Quinton Coples, the team’s first-round pick, had two “sacks” in practice (players are not allowed to actually hit the quarterback). WR Stephen Hill, the second-round pick, had a couple of nice catches. One was a 50-yard bomb from Mark Sanchez during 7-on-7 drills. Hill beat CB Darrelle Revis on the play.

* C Nick Mangold is expected back at practice today after traveling to London to watch his sister, Holley, compete in the Olympics. ... WRs Scotty McKnight and DaMarcus Ganaway were waived. ... Holmes, NT Sione Po’uha (head), RT Wayne Hunter (back), WR Jeremy Kerley (hamstring), WR DaMarcus Ganaway (hamstring), OLB Ricky Sapp (undisclosed) and WR Dexter Jackson (undisclosed) did not practice. RB Terrance Ganaway started practice but left with hamstring tightness in both legs. RB Joe McKnight left practice with a stinger but said he is OK.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...Ip7lwfGYGE8O4J

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    That's great, hope he plays all 16.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Listen I love everything about the Jets and have for most of my life, howver comparing Landry to arguably one of the greatest to have played the position is silly, and something I thought the team was going to get away from. Let's go win some games first okay.

Can we get this often injured player to play one game before he is compared to arguably the greatest player at his position?...........

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Listen I love everything about the Jets and have for most of my life, howver comparing Landry to arguably one of the greatest to have played the position is silly, and something I thought the team was going to get away from. Let's go win some games first okay.
    Jetswin, it is EXACTLY why I am so down on this team's approach under Ryan. For the excited, younger fans on the board, I apologized for the let downs recently in my posts but some of this is just so unbelievably detrimental to winning. JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY! Cant the Jets just say they are excited to see what Landry can do when healthy? There is a little thing called humility and humbleness that goes a long way in ALL aspects of life. The JETS appear to have none.

Hall Of Fame
    common.

The coach (Thurman) didn't do that. He compared him to Reed in a limited capacity, and the writer wrote the headline. He was contrasting their respective athleticism. Face it, when you first clicked on the link, you had the thought in your head, "what did Rex say now?" Didn't you? I know I did. But that's the headline that grabs readers. A headline like "Jets secondary coach sees similarities in Landry and Reed" wouldn't have garnered the same play.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Jetswin, it is EXACTLY why I am so down on this team's approach under Ryan. For the excited, younger fans on the board, I apologized for the let downs recently in my posts but some of this is just so unbelievably detrimental to winning. JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY! Cant the Jets just say they are excited to see what Landry can do when healthy? There is a little thing called humility and humbleness that goes a long way in ALL aspects of life. The JETS appear to have none.
    I admitedly am not follwing every word out of camp this summer, and I think it might just be because there are too many words out of camp. I thought it was going to be more about the business at hand this year, and that's what I plan on making it, even if the team doesn't lol.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    common.

The coach (Thurman) didn't do that. He compared him to Reed in a limited capacity, and the writer wrote the headline. He was contrasting their respective athleticism. Face it, when you first clicked on the link, you had the thought in your head, "what did Rex say now?" Didn't you? I know I did. But that's the headline that grabs readers. A headline like "Jets secondary coach sees similarities in Landry and Reed" wouldn't have garnered the same play.
    Yes, this is all true, but it does say it right therenin the first sentence, "As good as Ed Reed..."

Hall Of Fame
    Yes, this is all true, but it does say it right therenin the first sentence, "As good as Ed Reed..."
    right. but what was the question asked to illicit said response?

All Pro
    I'll never understand why people get so worked up over comparisons. They never say this guy is as good as this other guy. They always say this guy reminds me of, or this guy is faster than the other guy. Yet the headline is what people get all worked up over. This is Dennis Thurman. The guy that coached Reed saying that Landry is the most talented safety he's had next to Reed. He can do some things Reed can't do, but they're completely different. Landry can't cover the way Reed can, but Landry is faster, and more explosive. OMG somebody stop him before he says Demario reminds him of a young Ray Lewis. That would really hurt. I've seen people that remind me of other people, but never did it mean they were better than them, and people never get upset about it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    right. but what was the question asked to illicit said response?
    Again you are probably right, I guess what I am trying to say is I really dislike the coverage the Jets get, especially since Tebow is in town, and I am now tending to think negatively about everything I read. That's why I let you guys sort it out and read the Jets news here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I have a feeling we will be franchising Landry after this season. If of course we don't reach a multi year deal after the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Again you are probably right, I guess what I am trying to say is I really dislike the coverage the Jets get, especially since Tebow is in town, and I am now tending to think negatively about everything I read. That's why I let you guys sort it out and read the Jets news here.
    I dislike the coverage too.

I really do believe that the Jets are still paying (at least in the media realm) for being the ones to upset the mighty NFL way back in '69. Lots of folks looked like dumbasses after that game.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'll never understand why people get so worked up over comparisons.
    I'll tell you why:

Because we've had it up to here with the non-football nonsense since January and our head coach continues to humiliate the franchise and its fans.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Let me just say one more thing on this though, any quote that begins, "as good as Ed Reed..." attached to a player that has been in the league already and has not wowed like Ed Reed should be looked at exactle as it is, blather. Tell me some kid I've never heard of, who hasn't played a snap in the league yet reminds the coaches of a young Ed Reed, and I think I would be more excited. This is just another guy on the roster, who was not allnworld elsewhere before.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'll tell you why:

Because we've had it up to here with the non-football nonsense since January and our head coach continues to humiliate the franchise and its fans.

SAR I
    Lol, a bit extreme here SAR

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Sorry but I've never seen humility, and humbleness get anyone anywhere. They get you walked on, and abused. Self confidence, and assertiveness will take you places. My favorite saying is "Good things come to those who wait." Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Good things come to those that go out and get them. Nobody's gonna come knock on your door with good things. Thank you for your patience.

Hall Of Fame
    I thought Kerry Rhodes was Ed Reed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You left out the is.. He also said; They’re different,” Thurman said. “Ed is a great ball-hawk. He can play center field. But LaRon Landry is a different animal. He is an explosive, fast athlete that can do a variety of things for us. Jet fans still lead the league in whinning..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You left out the is.. He also said; They’re different,” Thurman said. “Ed is a great ball-hawk. He can play center field. But LaRon Landry is a different animal. He is an explosive, fast athlete that can do a variety of things for us. Jet fans still lead the league in whinning..
    You know I'm not a whinner, I guess I'm just tiring of the superlatives before anything gets accomplished.